Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by smichelm
I was looking at CO's businessfirst seats and they seem to be almost identical to the UA business seats or at least made by the same manufacturer. Perhaps they'll continue with the UA reconfig and simply convert CO's widebody fleet to the new UA 3-class configuration.
They're much wider, 2-2-2 on the 777 instead of 2-4-2.
Old May 4, 2010, 2:52 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Back to 2-3-2 we go!
Old May 4, 2010, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I can see a restriction on when the second plane can be signed off, but what's the logic of not starting the work yet? I wouldn't expect they've hit any issues that would require changes.

There are many reasons to maintain the original plan, in any business.

There are supplier delivery dates, concern over when deliveries take place and in which quarter, the airline forecasts six months out how many airplanes will be in the air and how many will be out for maintenance. So the airline built a schedule around that airplane being available to fly a route for that 30 days, then being out for the conversion for a set period of time.

Its not as easy as just flying it to the mod house and yelling "GO!".
Old May 4, 2010, 10:20 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by smichelm
I was looking at CO's businessfirst seats and they seem to be almost identical to the UA business seats or at least made by the same manufacturer. Perhaps they'll continue with the UA reconfig and simply convert CO's widebody fleet to the new UA 3-class configuration.
We can hope!

Using the 2-4-2 3 cabin config could even be cost neutral or positive for UA/CO considering that CO has 50 BF seats while UA has 48 F+C seats. Considering the premium price that the F cabin demands, if they can sell even 1 F seat or two extra C seats for people who buy C just to upgrade to first than the F/C cabin has paid for itself. Yes CO has more Y seats on their 777s but this is only because UA has pulled out a row for E+.
Old May 4, 2010, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by planemechanic
There are many reasons to maintain the original plan, in any business.
Maybe you mean the revised, revised, revised, revised, revised plan? The original plan had the 777s being converted in 2007 or 2008...

So the airline built a schedule around that airplane being available to fly a route for that 30 days, then being out for the conversion for a set period of time.
That answers what they did, but not why. However, I'm sure United had their reasons, and I'm not expecting anyone to give out privileged information, so it'll have to do.
Old May 5, 2010, 8:35 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Yes, it's ferrying to Korea tomorrow (May 5) as UA9934 for paint visit.
Now for the big question - what paint job? Maybe just a plain white primer to make the next paint job easier?

Actually, Star Alliance livery might be a good idea.
Old May 5, 2010, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Now for the big question - what paint job? Maybe just a plain white primer to make the next paint job easier?

Actually, Star Alliance livery might be a good idea.
Since the merger hasn't actually been approved, I would think it would come back with the UA livery... Star Alliance might be interesting, but I definitely want to see it come back with the blue stripes and the Tulip!
Old May 9, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: United 1K
Does anyone have any idea when the aircraft will be painted and put back into service?

Where exactly do United paint there aircraft??
Old May 9, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Pusan, Korea. I beleive sometimes the 747s would fly from there to Hong Kong and begin revenue service after they were painted.
Old May 9, 2010, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by pk1_efc

Where exactly do United paint there aircraft??
There are a number of locations, this one is at KAL in Pusan, South Korea.
Old May 10, 2010, 10:07 pm

How long is it going to take do we think?
Old May 10, 2010, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jckool44
How long is it going to take do we think?
Maybe a week to do the painting. I believe this is what I read a while ago..
Old May 11, 2010, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It typically takes about 12-14 days to paint a widebody airplane.
Old May 11, 2010, 9:10 am

It typically takes about 12-14 days to paint a widebody airplane.
Maybe they should go to Earl Scheib! Any plane, any color, $299.
Old May 13, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
Cabin upgrade progress on the 777s

Hi, new here & it's my first post. Did a quick search to see if I could find an answer to my question and didn't find 1 so....

Does anybody know of a more accurate way to find out how the biz and 1st class cabin upgrades are going? Only thing I know is that they started in February and they hope to be finished by the end of the year.

Reason I'm asking is that I'm taking the LAX-LHR flight later this month and dunno if I should spring the miles and co-pay for a class upgrade. IMHO, it's worth it if the aircraft has gone through the cabin upgrade and you get the lie-flat seats in biz, if not I'll just hunker down in my economy plus seat.

If this has been addressed before, my apologies and I would apreciate a redirect to the appropriate thread.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.