Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "ANA Booking Tool and UA MP Awards" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "ANA Booking Tool and UA MP Awards" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2008, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by sbedelman

For some dates the tool is displaying a very light tan box with an "O" but the box isn't active the way the slightly darker box where you can click through. Since I know the darker box with "O" means there are seats available I assume the lighter box means something else, but what?

So up until recently I've noticed that whenever you select your outbound flight the lighter orange box with the "O" would turn bright orange and be selectable. Up until recently the outbound flight would always be selectable but now I'm noticing that for flights < 7 days out, the outbound flight is not selectable.

After reading the ANA conditions for awards it seems that when you're using NH miles you need to book at least 7 days in advance so it makes sense that the seats are "Not Applicable". I tried calling UA to see if I could change an award reservation I have and the agents say they don't see the "Seat Available" but "Not Applicable" that is displayed on the NH tool.

Anyone have experience with this? Are those seats available? I realize that it may be Starnet blocking but usually the NH tool is pretty good for displaying SQ seats available to UA.

Last edited by blahter; Nov 21, 2008 at 12:56 pm
Old Nov 28, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
sorry if I missed it, but does the ANA tool show standard or saver inventory? Also, even though I live near ORD, it shows ton of availiability in LH DTW-FRA-XXX and on LO flights all next summer - is this too good to be true?
Old Nov 28, 2008, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by ordogg
sorry if I missed it, but does the ANA tool show standard or saver inventory? Also, even though I live near ORD, it shows ton of availiability in LH DTW-FRA-XXX and on LO flights all next summer - is this too good to be true?
There is no such thing as a standard Star Alliance award. Same redemption level as saver.

Also, good luck with the awards. Hopefully UA has not blocked the ones you want.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 5:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ordogg

Standard awards are available if a seat is available for sale and are only available on UA metal. So the ANA tool shows saver awards.

While the ANA tool may show availability, not all of that availability may be available (bad grammar?) via United / Mileage Plus. See "Starnet Blocking"
Old Nov 28, 2008, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Standard awards are available if a seat is available for sale and are only available on UA metal. So the ANA tool shows saver awards.

While the ANA tool may show availability, not all of that availability may be available (bad grammar?) via United / Mileage Plus. See "Starnet Blocking"
thanks - called ua and they gave me some FRA-DTW and ORD-WAW options but on ANA it seemed like every LO and FRA-DTW had avail - thanks! Seems like what other people have said - find flight nos. you want and then call UA
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:00 pm

Programs: hardly any
If not in the ANA tool

I am trying to put together a reward flight using United frequent flyer miles. To this end, I have signed up for ANA club membership and am successfully using the ANA tool to identify possible availabilities.

I do have a question, though; perhaps some of the more experienced posters here on this board might know the answer.

If a reward flight is not listed in the ANA tool as being available, is it at all possible that United might still have that flight available to MP members?

Thanks kindly in advance.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
doubt it! More like the other way round: if ANA has availability, UA won't !
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
There are reports of anomalies where UA books an award that the NH website doesn't show as available, and that's usually a data issue /glitch/timing issue (NH website having errors, returning @ isn't of availability... or the award wasn't available when checking NH but subsequently became available, etc).
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had UA flights show up when I called an agent that don't show on either ANA or united.com.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
There are several *A airlines that do not appear on ANA (LX, CA, FM and maybe others), so it's very possible.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
I have definitely seen a few (not many) LH TATL seats in the past few weeks that were available through UA but not NH. Weird, I know, but that was the case.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by stevenshev
I have definitely seen a few (not many) LH TATL seats in the past few weeks that were available through UA but not NH.
Verrrrry interesting (apologies to Arte Johnson). This could be due to UA and LH's "special" relationship, but is still surprising.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:46 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Verrrrry interesting (apologies to Arte Johnson). This could be due to UA and LH's "special" relationship, but is still surprising.
I was shocked. But not terribly pleased as I had actually wanted the day before they showed this availability, when NH showed plenty of LH F, and, of course, UA showed none.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:15 pm

Programs: hardly any
Thanks, all!

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences. If I learn anything new, or odd, during my next call to United I will surely post it here.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Another thing about the ANA tool is that it won't show you all connection possibilities, just the easiest and most obvious ones. A UA agent may spot combinations which ANA's online system ignores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.