Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2008, 12:57 pm
5R2

Programs: LH SEN
M&M Procedure for UFC Credit

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Not in Mileage Plus. Other FFP's recognize the new COS when you pay cash and you have to send in the reciepts (M&M is one example).
What's the procedure for getting the C or F miles in M&M? Just send in the new boarding pass and the UFC receipt? Any particular address or just the standard one M&M would give me over the phone?

I thought I remembered seeing something on this before but I couldn't manage to get search to bring it up.

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 5, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
So I'm at the RCC at SFO and on a W ticket, upgraded with SWU to NC. I asked at the RCC for a UFC and they said yes, sold it to me, charged my card, issued me BPs and then the agent's phone rang and a Service Director told her she couldn't double upgrade me and she had to undo the whole thing. I implored her to read the profile to see if it now allows NC->NF but it was fruitless. If anyone can absolutely, positively show me where it is allowed now, I will make another go of it. Otherwise, I'll happily, but sadly fly in my NC seats, crossing my 1MM mark somewhere over Idaho.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 5:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In the wiki, the post profile S*PMO/UG-UFC is quiet to upgraded tickets but it does specifically allow award tickets to be upgraded.

ALL FARE TYPES AND BOOKING CODES QUALIFY INCLUDING FREE/BULK/AWARD TICKETS.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:09 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
I have an old (2006??) copy of the UFC profile and it states:
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- ALL REVENUE CUSTOMERS ON A UFC FLIGHT ARE ELIGIBLE
FOR UPGRADE...EXCEPT THOSE ALREADY BOOKED IN NC. NO
DOUBLE UPGRADES PERMITTED.

- ALL FARE TYPES AND BOOKING CODES (EXCEPT NC) QUALIFY
FOR UFC.
THIS INCLUDES FREE/BULK/AWARD TICKETS.
The bolding is where my copy differs for the one posted in the Wiki. The NC prohibition has been removed on the newer Wiki page. People on here have been complaining that NC should be allowed and maybe UA listened. It makes sense. Evidently the SD is remembering the old profile. Keep us updated on how it goes.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Nov 6, 2008 at 3:08 am
Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I went back to the desk using the latest Wiki and they denied me again, even after speaking with an SD. They told me I was one of "those" people who buys a cheap Y fare, upgrades twice - so why should they have 3 cabin aircraft?

I'm going to follow up with WHQ after I get back and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But if I'm right, I want it in writing and I want the SFO people trained.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I went back to the desk using the latest Wiki and they denied me again, even after speaking with an SD. They told me I was one of "those" people who buys a cheap Y fare, upgrades twice - so why should they have 3 cabin aircraft?

I'm going to follow up with WHQ after I get back and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But if I'm right, I want it in writing and I want the SFO people trained.
Congrats to 1 MM ^

Please keep us updated on this issue !

Cheers,
Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
I was also in SFO earlier this year and during check in for a flight to PVG, the ticketing agent said sure no problem, and the SD said no, and this was when the profile has been updated to remove the NC restriction
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:17 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Today used the kiosk to check in at Phx. It offered me a paid upgrade from Phx>LAX for $77.00. Since I had seat 3B, didn't see the point of spending the $. I'll save it & use it for my next green fee!

Fly more & get a better seat
Old Nov 6, 2008, 3:01 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Checked-in at the kiosk for PDX to ORD with my brother this morning and it offered a $309 upgrade to F. He was booked on award economy and accepted the offer.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Offered UA First ORD-LGA for $154 at online check-in, but just did E+ for $39.

Surprised that the upgrades were sold that way when it appears that people's upgrades cleared at the gate the next day; First was only about 1/2 full on the online seat map at check-in about 16 hours before departure, but at the airport, the video screen at the gate showed a list of people whose upgrades had cleared, and at take-off, First seemed pretty full.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Silver, DL SIlver, Marriott TE/LTPE, HH Gold,
Can you "pay" to upgrade from an H fare if there is space in C at Check-In?

Hi all,

I'm on an H fare on Saturday from UA 870 SYD-SFO but could not find an upgrade sponsor (I'm with AC and don't have MP points).

In the past, my colleague has told me that she has tried to upgrade with points on a non-upgradable fare but was offered an upgrade at the gate/check-in if she agreed to pay $200 USD as there was room in C/J for the upgrade.

Does anyone know if this policy is customary, if Y is full or close to and there is C space? Right now KVS is showing C9 D9 Z9, but Y is pretty open as well.

I have a 26 hour turn around after landing in SFO before heading to FRA, and I'm trying to figure out a way to save my brain some jet lag. I'd be will to pay that amount to upgrade my H fare, but I just wanted to ask here if that actually makes sense. My colleague said she did it twice, so I have reason to believe its possible.

Any advice or thoughts to share?
Or is this a "magical unicorn" moment that my colleague has experienced twice.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 4:30 pm

They sometimes offer a cash upgrade called "UFC or Upgrade for Cash", usually driven by the Y load. It is not on every flight and it costs a whole lot more than $200. I'm guessing on the SYD run it is about $600.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 6:31 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
LAX-IAD today, kiosk offered $385 to upgrade from C to F on a 777.

I took the offer and got 1A (had a middle seat in C). At the gate there was one name on the C->F upgrade list! I don't know if they cleared eventually but not before boarding. That person must have submitted their request after I bought my upgrade.

I was in NC, upgraded with a CR1.... not a paid C fare.

It was a nice flight...
Old Nov 6, 2008, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
LAX-IAD today, kiosk offered $385 to upgrade from C to F on a 777.

I took the offer and got 1A (had a middle seat in C). At the gate there was one name on the C->F upgrade list! I don't know if they cleared eventually but not before boarding. That person must have submitted their request after I bought my upgrade.

I was in NC, upgraded with a CR1.... not a paid C fare.

It was a nice flight...
I have been offered this from NC on this flight as well. it used to be $325
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
OLCI offered me an upgrade to F for:

ORD-IAD - $154
IAD-ORF - $77

These are fairly expensive since I can buy 4 e500s for $200 and use 2 of them for both legs if I wanted to take the upgrade and lacked e500s. I declined the upgrade since I have an exit row to myself on the flight to IAD and the bulkhead row on the CRJ-700 for the short hop to ORF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.