Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Is there a reason UA will not sell upgrades at check in when there are open seats?

I asked if I could buy up the other day when I checked in for my FRA-ORD and they said no...I noticed a number of empty C seats....does UA not need the money?
I had the same exact experience on FRA-IAD a few weeks ago.

Has anyone been able to up-sell at one of the FRA gates with those
out-sourced Lufthansa gate agents they use? The person I dealt with
most recently even seemed to suggest that United doesn't offer
up-sells

I made a big complaint about this in the comment area for the ualsurvery
I filled out for that flight.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 4:18 am
Suspended

Flying from LHR to either SFO or LAX I have ALWAYS been able to pay to upgrade from coach to business, or business to first...however, from SFO to LHR it has been touch and go...sometimes they have offered it, other times not...the last time we flew back to LHR from SFO they had loads of seats free in business but was not letting us pay....dont get it
Old Jun 22, 2008, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Raffles longhaul
Recently flew ORD-HKG . When I arrived at the gate asked about getting upgraded from economy without paying any extra $. The agent said no . So I asked if there was any rows with 4 or 5 seats empty. The agent said yes there is one row the last row with 4 seats empty. I said can you change my seat to the last row and block out the rest of the seats. The agent said yes I can change your seat but cannot block the rest of the seats . So I took the chance and went to the last row , and spread my carry- ons on the other 3 seats hoping no one else was assigned a seat in the last row . As the doors shut and the plane started to taxi no one came to the last row but some passengers were eying those seats as the flight was fairly full. One passenger asked me if anyone was sitting in the other 3 empty seats ? I said that I had puchased the other 3 seats I ended sleeping very well on the 14 hour flight and arrived in HKG well rested on a rock bottom economy fare. I would call that an upgrade from an economy seat to an economy bed
Inconsiderate I would say.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, 6C AMB, HH Silver
LHR to IAD on June 16, paid upgrade 350£. After long two weeks of vacation went ahead and did it.

Interesting thing is that when we (four of us) asked at the Economy check-in we were told none available. Later, as we were walking around (5 hours to kill) I went to the future ticket purchase desk and was told that plenty of seats available. BUT that I had to go back to the original agent, have him "accept my money" release my seats, then come back here for the reassignment. Thought it a bit weird, but took my chances and all worked out. All got upgrades and flight was great.

Side note, this was the first time that I saw a passenger kindly asked to go back to her economy seat... We are getting settled, when I notice an Attendant ask this young twenty-something lady, decked out in dark suit, dark sunglasses, huge purse with every imaginable buckle in the world, BUT of course wearing pool flip-flops UGH!, if he could see her boarding pass. She fumbled around for a good five minutes, looking through every imaginable pocket and folder in her briefcase, of course not finding it. She proceeds to tell him that her upgrade had been processed at the gate and that she was told to take any open seat. He asks her name and walk away. Upon his return, he very quietly and without show, tells her that in fact her upgrade had not been processed and that she needed to go to her original seat. She protests that there were many seats available (which was true, I had one seat next to me open). He was firm, but again very polite. She huffed a bit, chugged the champagne she had been offered when she sat down, and went on her way.

Oh well...
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:11 am
FSU

Originally Posted by ORDGuy79
Your friend is a smart man

Coincidentally, it looks like the price of this u/g at the gate has gone up. 99.9% of the time my ORD-HKG flights were in C for work, but I went in April on my own dime and it cost me $599 to u/g to C from Y.

Yes, the agent actually apologized that the price of the upgrade had just gone up (to $705) This is the first time my friend has flown on United. He was taking the family on a three week trip to China including two kids aged 14and 12. He bought 2 annual e plus accesses on my advice as well, so United made a little more money off him.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus P2
6/25/08 LHR-IAD Y -> C 394 pounds; declined as we had 17 F&G and nearly $800 per seat seemed dear for trans-Atlantic; wouldn't have blinked trans-Pac.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Prem Ex
Tonight (6/26): UA 863 SFO-SYD $679 from E->C
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:56 am

1. NC --> NF request for buy-up denied at check-in, RCC, gate for both LAX-HKG and HKG-SIN
2. LAX-HKG was 40% full in C, 100% in F. Not bad at all in upper deck C with no seat mate. Great HKG agent crew.
3. LAX-HKG buy-up to F quoted as $639 at RCC, but did not proceed once agent saw NC.
4. HKG-SIN for $199 and $99 for Vietnam route. Saw the MCO cheat sheat.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:50 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by Colin
1. NC --> NF request for buy-up denied at check-in, RCC, gate for both LAX-HKG and HKG-SIN
2. LAX-HKG was 40% full in C, 100% in F. Not bad at all in upper deck C with no seat mate. Great HKG agent crew.
3. LAX-HKG buy-up to F quoted as $639 at RCC, but did not proceed once agent saw NC.
4. HKG-SIN for $199 and $99 for Vietnam route. Saw the MCO cheat sheat.
What is the MCO cheat sheet?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
Ord-fra 7.3

just did OLCI for ORD-FRA (UA940) for 7.3
was offered Y -> C for $569
declined the upgrade - cant justify on TATL
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Iad - Eze

Just did OLCI for 7/4/2008 flight: LAX->IAD->EZE
This was a saver award ticket in economy (50K mi).

Was offered purchase upgrade from IAD->EZE for $549
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Iad-bru 7/3/08

My co-worker who is a GM was offered $569 buy-up from Y=>C by Mr. Chicken, followed by a $97 offer for E+.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
Inconsiderate I would say.
I'd have to agree on the inconsiderate part...smart move? Probably. Would I do it? Not for the whole row...but back on topic.

What do you think is a worthwhile upgrade at the gate? The last one I turned down was a NRT-IAD from Y to C @ a little over $700 @ the NRT RCC in a lower coach fare (they were gonna charge in yen) - Apr 08. I probably should've taken it in hindsight...

Also I wonder why UA has a "set" price (or do they?) when it comes to paid upgrades. It seems no matter what ticket class I have, be it a Y/B or a lower fare, the paid upgrades seem almost the same price (i.e. IAD-FRA I was offered a $600ish price, and that was me flying Y in a B fare, with a $325 excess baggage fee - 74lb case...even as a 1P in May 08) Almost doesn't seem "fare" to me...
Old Jul 6, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM, FB Ivory
Nrt-sfo 07/06

upgrade was offered to Ms AF-SFO and I at easy check in at the airport
this morning for about 57,000 yens Y->C on a Y award ticket on UA 838
Didn't take it as we were in the emergency exit.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM (2.4) RCC, Turkish, Emirates,HH Silver,SPG
Sfo-pek

Two of my colleagues upgraded to C for $550 each June 11.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.