Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
Originally Posted by retsef
Are the UGs offered through Mr. Chicken even if you already have assigned seats? Or, just ask at the gate?

Since SIN -> ORD is same flight # would they offer UG for the entire flight or per leg since it stops in HGK?
I've been offered at OLCI and Mr.Chicken before with assigned seats, I don't think that makes a difference.

They will want you to pay for both legs even though its the same flight number. You can try talk them into throwing in the HKG to SIN route and you might get lucky?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA, BA, B6, DL, UA 1K, VA, VX
Originally Posted by Mbenz
I've been offered at OLCI and Mr.Chicken before with assigned seats, I don't think that makes a difference.

They will want you to pay for both legs even though its the same flight number. You can try talk them into throwing in the HKG to SIN route and you might get lucky?
Thanks for the info Mbenz. Well, hope it happens even just on one of the legs.
Old May 6, 2008, 11:17 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
thoughts?

from a very simple mind of a lowly 1P in SF...

waiting to check in online today for my SFO-LHR flight tomorrow.

Sitting in E+ currently and on an S fare.

Business is 1/2 full and am wondering based on all the replies here if online check-in will offer me an ug to C.

or....another crazy thought: i want some solid advice---I can take out 120k miles and fly in 1st SFO-LHR nonstop and business on LHR-SFO nonstop, both on 744s.

I have done business, but never 1st.

Would this be a waste of miles and the $216 processing fees?

My thought is that you only live once~! :

Patrick
Old May 6, 2008, 2:06 pm

Programs: Some, not all.
Originally Posted by pallensf
from a very simple mind of a lowly 1P in SF...

waiting to check in online today for my SFO-LHR flight tomorrow.

Sitting in E+ currently and on an S fare.

Business is 1/2 full and am wondering based on all the replies here if online check-in will offer me an ug to C.

or....another crazy thought: i want some solid advice---I can take out 120k miles and fly in 1st SFO-LHR nonstop and business on LHR-SFO nonstop, both on 744s.

Patrick
If there is space, UA will offer (if you ask) a buy up to C. It's usually around $700 one way and it does not matter what fare you have.

As for burning 120k miles - that's what they are there for. Unless you have plans to use them elsewhere, SFO-LHR-SFO is long enough to enjoy 1st.

That said, you may want to earn the DEQM's instead if that is going to get you within grasp of 1K.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:40 pm

Sounds like you have a good chance! SFO-LHR is definitely worth a paid upgrade opp IMO

Sounds like you just need someone to tell you it's ok. It's ok.
That said, you might get better value from the DEQM promotion right now rather than spending those miles. The difference between Y and C is vast, but you may find the difference between C and F quite a bit smaller. Nevertheless, as you said, you only live once so if you really want to do it-go ahead. Just give us a full report and if you felt it was worth it.
Old May 6, 2008, 4:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
whew! i just got home and read the prior 2 posts which make me feel secure in my decision...

I always say: "never postpone joy" cuz u only live once...LOL...

so, I ended up getting a sort of combo award:

tomorrow on the SFO-LHR non-stop, I am in 1st (3A--744) hopefully a good seat choice, and then...

on my return non-stop LHR-SFO in business (11H--777).

i had the miles and I thought why am I hoarding them as a single man...

my big thing is that tomorrow, I am going with ZERO expectations and just gonna let it all happen.

ps - at SFO, I am allowed to use the Intl 1st lounge correct? where is that located?

i have only flown Intl business before and did the RCC in the Intl terminal. Are the in the same place?

sorry for the dumb question.

Patrick

A trip report will follow.

Also, my connecting flts to EDI on BMI are in business on both legs according to Prem. Exec. customer service.

mahalo!
Old May 6, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K!, NWA PE
IAD to LHR - 649 at OLCI....

Crazy, but still less than a business fare... here's hoping for the opt up.
Old May 6, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA, BA, B6, DL, UA 1K, VA, VX
Originally Posted by mjo768
IAD to LHR - 649 at OLCI....

Crazy, but still less than a business fare... here's hoping for the opt up.
How soon before departure to do OLCI? 24hr mark? 6hr mark? What is good timing in order for OLCI to offer UFC?
Old May 6, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
whew! i just got home and read the prior 2 posts which make me feel secure in my decision...

tomorrow on the SFO-LHR non-stop, I am in 1st (3A--744) hopefully a good seat choice, ...

ps - at SFO, I am allowed to use the Intl 1st lounge correct? where is that located?

i have only flown Intl business before and did the RCC in the Intl terminal. Are the in the same place?
The International F lounge is in the International terminal, about 1/2 way down the passageway, past the first few gates, on the right hand side. It is completely separate from the RCC, which is immediately on your right, after security. It is much superior to the RCC. Enjoy.
Old May 11, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by buaya00
What are the chances of buy ups for SFO-PEK and PVG-SFO? Would rather buy up than use SWUs.
Originally Posted by jakuda
In my experience with UA, depends on the day of the week you depart and considering the Olympics this year, the month as well. I was able to buy up my past SFO-PEK segment on an uncrowded weekday flight.
Dunno if you guys are talking Y->C or C->F, but OLCI offered C->F for a Monday in May. Since seatcounter has been showing more space available in C than Y all week, I'd assume they're offering them Y->C as well.

My guess/understanding is that PVG is tougher than PEK, higher percentage of paid premium fares.
Old May 12, 2008, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tomorrow on the SFO-LHR non-stop, I am in 1st (3A--744) hopefully a good seat choice, and then...

on my return non-stop LHR-SFO in business (11H--777).
At check-in LHR make sure to point out to the agent that you are travelling on an F-award, in case any open F-seats are popping up on your return flight.
Old May 12, 2008, 11:16 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
My experience so far, latest first, all trips on S fares.

Back in February (2/27), gate agents offered NC for $650 for SFO-LHR. I had 17A so I passed, figured I'd grab it on the inbound.

On the return, (3/2) I was fully ready to pony up $700 for NC if it was available. The check-in guy offered me NC for £700. I said "700 POUNDS?" He said "Yes." I said "Why?" He said "I dunno...maybe because they're close to being full?" I thought about it for a moment but knew I had 17B so eventually said screw it. I ALMOST went with Mr. Chicken but at the last moment decided to talk to a human. Won't be making that mistake again. During the flight there were AT LEAST 5 C seats empty.

Back in November of 07, same two sectors. Nothing on the outbound but Mr. Chicken offered me NC on the inbound for £350. I took it on the spot. It was beautiful...I was late (arrived Heathrow with only about 45 minutes before departure in a driving rain), tired, and ready to go home after spending a month in dreary London. I whizzed thru Fast Track and dashed on to my flight with minutes to spare. Only thing that would have been nicer was if Channel 9 was available (it wasn't.)

In August I was traveling on an NY saver so I'm just glad they let me on the plane. Sectors were OAK-ORD-LHR and back.

In November of 06 and December of 06 I had two separate sectors SFO-LHR each. The first trip had nothing either way. But I was able to snag NC on the inbound on the 2nd trip for £330.

I have another SFO-LHR sector coming up day after tomorrow. So far the upgrade screen is giving me nothing. Availability on the outbound is C5, all middles (not that I'd really care). The inbound is ridiculously open right now, but I suspect that will change in 7 days. I tend to use OLCI on the outbounds so it's just a matter of dropping off bags and lounging until flight time.

I've also got a SFO-FRA sector coming up in about 3 weeks with Ms. FiveMileFinal.

Question for y'all: should I wait and use Mr. Chicken instead, particularly on this London sector? What's been the best strategy to use in order to get a buy-up, in your experience? Edit: After reading up some more on this topic, it looks like my question's already answered.
Oh, and what's the definition of an 'op-up'?

Thanks a million!

Last edited by FiveMileFinal; May 12, 2008 at 11:56 pm
Old May 13, 2008, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
I've also got a SFO-FRA sector coming up in about 3 weeks with Ms. FiveMileFinal.
Generally upgrades on the SFO-FRA flights are hard to come by, even miles & SWU upgrades can be a challenge. Having said that I found TUE & WE flights to be the best bets.
Old May 14, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Was offered $559, including tax, for DEN-LHR, L-class fare to C upgrade. I took it, as I noted that others here had to pay $699 for the same upgrade. I'll be curious to see what/if I'll be offered on the way back. I'm in 21J, so I doubt I'll bite.
Old May 23, 2008, 1:32 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
5/23 they were offering buy-ups from Y to C LAX-HKG at the gate for $600. I guess they didn't get enough takers and eventually had to op-up. My 2P GF ended up getting and op-up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.