Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:13 pm

Help me out here not up to speed on this. So say the back of a flight is full and there are seats in first open will they offer paid upgrades for cheap? If so how do you know about it? If neither of the above applys then if you ask to upgrade for $$ at the counter is the price the advertised first class $$?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kahanabob
Help me out here not up to speed on this. So say the back of a flight is full and there are seats in first open will they offer paid upgrades for cheap? If so how do you know about it? If neither of the above applys then if you ask to upgrade for $$ at the counter is the price the advertised first class $$?
The paid upgrades usually have a standard rate regardless of how full the flight is, as long as they're offering paid upgrades. It's usually $600+ for a transoceanic upgrade and $60-70 per 500 miles domestically.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
$649 ORD-LHR last week offered at OLCI.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
The paid upgrades usually have a standard rate regardless of how full the flight is, as long as they're offering paid upgrades. It's usually $600+ for a transoceanic upgrade and $60-70 per 500 miles domestically.
IAD RCC matrons told me the other week that it is $69 per 500 miles for Y(H)->C US-Europe (which didn't mesh exactly with the $569 I was offered IAD-AMS, but was fairly close...another inexact UA science, apparently). Oddly, they got to that statement after one of them initially offered $449 (which I was going to take until the head matron overheard and said "that's too cheap", inspiring a flurry of typing and code-entering...at least I was given my drink chits ).

My datapoints in the last 3 months (5X IAD-AMS and v.v., and from what others have told me on other IAD-EU routes), it's always been $569 ex-US and E390 returning.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:12 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Is it still GBP 300 at LHR(-IAD)? I was trying to buy a B fare R/T but .bomb insists on giving me B outbound and S return. But this S fare is rock bottom so the fare comes to a bit less and I can save the miles.

Hmmm... but then the fare is no longer refundable.....
Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:38 am

Programs: Yes
Anyone have any experience with the non-Ted flights to Mexico?

As a point of comparison, I had the misfortune (for many reasons) of flying US CUN-CLT on Monday - they were offering $150US Y->F for that flight.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by gnaget
Is it still GBP 300 at LHR(-IAD)? I was trying to buy a B fare R/T but .bomb insists on giving me B outbound and S return. But this S fare is rock bottom so the fare comes to a bit less and I can save the miles.

Hmmm... but then the fare is no longer refundable.....
350 for a while now (well, ever since the increase in APD)
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: Some good, some bad
Lhr-ord C (z) -> F £310
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: QF SG,Velocity WP, HI Diamond, Accor Platinum
Hey guys, new to the forum.
Flying DEN-LHR on UAs new direct service - whats the chances of getting a paid upgrade. The catch is im flying out of Bozeman (BZN) on United express first - so do I ask at Bozeman where i check in (no self service machines, i dont think) or wait until I get into Denver. Ideas on price?
I currently have 21H in E+, front row on the right of the 777 - should i just keep that and save the cash?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 1:07 pm
In Memoriam

upgrades

Austgap, Welcome to flyertalk.

I am guessing an upgrade will cost you somewhere between $500-$600.

IMO, with 21H I think that I would save the cash, unless you actually get offered a cheaper cash upgrade.

Good luck.

wwbgd
Old Apr 10, 2008, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk, austgap!^
Old Apr 10, 2008, 3:57 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Yes, welcome to FT austgap! The answer to your price Q is in post 953: $699. You could always ask at your first flight's station; but the offer was good for most of the boarding process on 4/1 -- until United realized it would cancel the flight a/c of the FAA 777 inspection.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 9:34 am

Programs: Some, not all.
9th April
LHR-SFO Y to C 350GBP
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:48 pm

Programs: QF SG,Velocity WP, HI Diamond, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
The answer to your price Q is in post 953: $699.
DEN-LHR seems it be around $60-100 more than SFO/LAX anyone know why that is - is it cause of the only 1x daily flight?? Also, does it help or hinder if there is plenty of E+ seats available on the flight in terms of price of upgrade?

thanks guys
Old Apr 11, 2008, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1p
Actually, according to reply # 941, LAX/SFO-LHR is reported as high as $699 also. Seems to fluctuate by date / load / other issues...

Please post the price for us if they offer you one, I'm flying this route next week and tempted to upgrade too. I hoping for an op up as my flight is very full in Y but relatively empty in C.

$699 seems a little high , especially with the relatively poor service I had in C on my last LHR trip. Of course, on the other hand it's still a lot cheaper than buying full C or even Z class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.