Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 6:41 am

Question on NC-NF

I'm currently booked in NC PEK-IAD on 8/16. Seatcouter shows an inventory of 4 for NF. Will I get an opportunity for a UGC into F cabin via online checkin, can I get one from the counter check in?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by tigeragent
I'm currently booked in NC PEK-IAD on 8/16. Seatcouter shows an inventory of 4 for NF. Will I get an opportunity for a UGC into F cabin via online checkin, can I get one from the counter check in?
It can happen, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. UA generally doesn't do double upgrades.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tigeragent

I would inquire with the counter, at the RCC and at the gate. Once the flight is under airport control it might be possible, depending how the load is developping. Would make sense to sell an upgrade vs. doing a free op/up.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:56 pm

Given the flight is departing from China, I suggest you offer to pay the NC-->NF upgrade fee with five crisp benjamins. Don't ask for a receipt.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
How often do they offer the paid-upgrades on the various international routes? It seems like some (trans-Atlantic routes) are more frequent than others. Also, does the passenger's status matter in terms of getting an upgrade offer? I am flying LAX-NRT in Oct., just want to find out my chances of a paid upgrade.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold
Declined offered upgrade to C (from E+) on 8/6/08 SFO-SYD for ~$770 during online check-in. Loads on this flight looked pretty light ... had a whole row of seats to myself.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:13 am

Cdg?

Any recent data on ORD or IAD to/from CDG?

Search keywords: Paris, Dulles, Chicago

Last edited by Garrett Choi; Aug 16, 2008 at 11:14 am Reason: Added Search Keywords
Old Aug 17, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
369$ fee from ps award bus ticket to first JFK-LAX

I was waitlisted on UA flight 839 last night from JFK to LAX --flying on an business award ticket (45,000) miles. I never cleared the waitlist but went to the airport anyway in hopes of leaving two days earlier. The flight showed oversold in coach but open in bus and first.

After some hesitation, the nice ticket agent put me on the standby list.

When I got to the gate with an hour until baording, it looked good that I would clear standby into business -- but was offered an immediate seat in First for 369$. I thanked the agent and I told the agent I didn't think an award ticket was upgradeable.

He seemed pretty confident it was. In any case, he did it. So I went from waitlist to standby for business to a seat in first.

Also, the flight said it went form LAX on to sydney? Can a 757 make that long a haul?
Old Aug 17, 2008, 5:07 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
No, the only thing going on to Sydney will be the flight number. There will be a change of aircraft and change of crew, as well as a change of gate. Really kind of a sham, IMHO.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
Why not just change the flight number and avoid the confusion? I don't understand the logic working here...
Old Aug 17, 2008, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by spurg
Why not just change the flight number and avoid the confusion? I don't understand the logic working here...
Has to do with taxes that the airline pays for fuel (if I recall correctly).
Old Aug 17, 2008, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by spurg
Marketing (which has nothing to do with logic). One-stops appear before other connecting flights in the GDS.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by deant
Has to do with taxes that the airline pays for fuel (if I recall correctly).
I don't think so. It is more related to the way flights display in reservations systems. Non-stops would show up first, followed by direct flights and then connecting flights. Of course, direct used to mean that the same aircraft continued on. Now it is just the flight number. But the flight will show up higher on the results screen, which will drive business to it.

When you mis-connect on a single flight number it really stinks. So does only getting the miles credited for the point-to-point flights rather than the actual routing including the stop(s).
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: Sunoco Gas Card
Okay, did a big search of this thread and others, couldn't find my question so sorry if this has been covered - are paid upgrades ever offered on mileage award tickets? Thanks for any insight.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
> are paid upgrades ever offered on mileage award tickets?

It has been discussed somewhere here, but the answer is yes, it has been known to happen, but it is rare. I have first hand experience, but it only has happened to me once on a SFO-OGG award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.