Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA
The problem with the forum software here is that there is no way to go a quick summary that can be edited by everybody. Some other forums have it. It would make more sense to use the wiki for information like this.
This way you could just start an entry for each major route and have people add below their recent pricing information in e.g. a form like this :

IAD -> ZRH
04/23/2009 600$
05/12/2009 650$

With the current master threads you can wade through forever and still have a hard time getting a good picture.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Thanks expat. I appreciate reading your experiences, even if they are from about one year ago. I really don't want to "read" 174 of that master thread!

Just thought of something else. I'm already upgraded from ORD to IAD tomorrow, so I don't really need to do anything but check in and board. My OLCI email came in for that leg.

The flight to ZRH must be on a separate email though, as it did not show up! Or do I have to do the ORD-IAD one and then IAD to ZRH will be on that same OLCI? Maybe it will be in my email tonight, 24 hours prior to the actual flight.

Last question, do I have to do OLCI for both legs (which are on one ticket) separately, forget ORD-IAD, just do IAD-ZRH and ask for UG, or what's the protocal here. I typically do not do OLCI at all, preferring to just wait until I check in at the 1K desk, where I can speak to an agent.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 3, 2010 at 5:14 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
All segments should be included in the OLCI. No need to check in separately.

If buy-up is available at the time of OLCI, you will be offered it on whatever segments have it. That may mean you get an offer on the domestic segment but not the international, or vice-versa.

You can also check at the airport ticket counters and/or the gate.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:29 pm

OK, went into OLCI (did not complete) and the entire itinerary was there. I saw that it says that an upgrade on the international flt is not available. Would it have offered me the buy up where it says it's not available, or would it have been after I click "check in" (which I did not do).
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sim510
OK, went into OLCI (did not complete) and the entire itinerary was there. I saw that it says that an upgrade on the international flt is not available. Would it have offered me the buy up where it says it's not available, or would it have been after I click "check in" (which I did not do).
I believe you would have already been offered the buy-up by the end of the check-in process.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Hmm, 4 unassigned seats but C6. Perhaps F4/A2 has something to do with it.

That's pretty grim. Check again at the airport.

Personally, I wouldn't pay over 550.00 if offered, which is probably low. The flight isn't that long and, if you're in 20 B/J, IME, that's fine.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 4:06 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, United Club lifetime member, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
4/4/10 LHR-ORD C--->F GBP 354 declined

I should note I was already in NC with miles/copay, so this would have been a double upgrade if I accepted it, but there were three of us on the itinerary and I just couldn't justify spending $1500+ when we already really love the new C.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 4:37 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
I was hoping there would be a quick way to find IAD-ZRH flights, but I have not figured that out just yet. I'm reading backwards, from page 178, or somthing like that... and I'm at about page 160. So far, no IAD-ZRH, but I did see IAD to FRA... similar distance.
You could try searching within this thread for IAD ZRH and see if that works .

I found this as the first of many posts in my search, for instance:

"IAD-ZRH on March 7th: Paid C -> F on 763 for...

IAD-ZRH on March 7th:

Paid C -> F on 763 for $750.

I was in NC, and probably would have done it, but they refused.

I'm glad they're protecting the F cabin (which they... "

Good luck.

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Well, from last weeks experience I bought LAX-NRT at the Kiosk and after that has been confirmed I asked the TA how full C is and she said "there are 7 people on the Upgrade list right now".

Same for my flight to ORD 3 weeks ago, gate screen showed 12 UG requests and I did my UFC just 40 minutes earlier.
Well according to the UA S*PMO/UG-UFC rules, that should not happen:

"HOW DOES IT WORK? - WHQIM IDENTIFIES ELIGIBLE FLIGHTS AND CLEARS ALL NF/NC PNR WAITLISTS. WHQIM WILL ALSO ALLOCATE ADDITIONAL NF/NC INVENTORY....."

And: "MP AND REVENUE CERTIFICATE UPGRADES TAKE PRIORITY OVER UFC UPGRADES...EVEN ON THE DAY OF DEPARTURE. - PLEASE CLEAR UGDG LIST PRIOR TO SELLING UPGRADES AT THE GATE.

* Bolding mine.

Yes, we suspect it probably does happen sometimes, but it is hardly fair to those high status flyers waiting on their upgrades to clear with supposedly "confirmable" upgrade instruments given for their loyalty to UA and it is against the rules .

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 5, 2010 at 1:42 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:06 am

Well, I'm currently sitting in the RCC at ORD, B gates, by B17. I asked about a buy up at the check in counter, and was told there were no seats available. BUT, I could buy up to first class. I did not ask the price. (maybe I should have??? I'll ask at Dulles) Anyway, the agent told me to ask again at Dulles, because there might be a no-show in biz. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have a great E+ exit row seat, yes, but I don't sleep at all in economy. I need to recline not just "lean back" or lie mostly flat to really sleep.

Has anyone been offered first class buy up from economy, by-passing biz? Just curious. I can't determine my fare code without going to the UA web site (and leave FT and then come back) but I thought I bought a pretty cheap ticket for this trip.

UDU to IAD from ORD cleared several days ago, so I'm in biz on a 777 (but it isn't new config)... flit from IAD to ZRH is new config, 763. Would be nice to try it out!

Happy Easter FTers.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: SPG Plat
flit from IAD to ZRH is new config, 763. Would be nice to try it out!

Happy Easter FTers.
I do this flight about once per month. It seems to be very hit or miss in C though I have had 100% success with SWU Y-> C. But lately I have seen C completely full when boarding and most my summer bookings are waitlisted now. I have never asked how much $ an UG would cost.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 2:25 pm

Update! Made it to IAD, sitting in Red Carpet Club now, D concourse. I managed a biz seat! I first asked about a buy up, but was told that it was not available. Then the agent told me that I could do Miles and $$. (I have almost 400,000 FFmiles, so the 20k miles was a minor "expense" (probably MY opinion only) and the $500 she wanted was less than I had thought I might have to pay. So YES, I accepted!

I fly to BKK a lot, so I use my SWU's for those very long flts. ZRH is just a "short hop" for me... And I hardly ever use miles to get free tickets! I'll use them when I fly to BKK and have no more SWU's in my acct; but I'll have to buy a little bit more expensive ticket. Anyway, I'm happy to have a seat in biz today on the IAD-ZRH let of my journey.

The flt from ORD to IAD had the new blankets in biz. They are pure white, very soft, and warm. They are like a think douvet. The lining is probably just a thin sheet of polyester or fiberfill. But I liked the feel! Nice! But why on earth did they pick white!!!???

On to ZRH...

Update! Made it to IAD, sitting in Red Carpet Club now, D concourse. I spoke to the agent here in the club. I managed a biz seat! I first asked about a buy up, but was told that it was not available. Then the agent told me that I could do Miles and $$. (I have almost 400,000 FFmiles, so the 20k miles was a minor "expense" (probably MY opinion only) and the $500 she wanted was less than I had thought I might have to pay. So YES, I accepted!

I fly to BKK a lot, so I use my SWU's for those very long flts. ZRH is just a "short hop" for me... And I hardly ever use miles to get free tickets! I'll use them when I fly to BKK and want an upgrade but have no more SWU's in my acct; but I'll have to buy a little bit more expensive ticket. Anyway, I'm happy to have a seat in biz today on the IAD-ZRH leg of my journey.

The flt from ORD to IAD had the new blankets in biz. They are pure white, very soft, and warm. They are like a thin douvet. The lining is probably just a thin sheet of polyester or fiberfill. But I liked the feel! Nice! But why on earth did they pick white!!!???

On to ZRH...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 5, 2010 at 1:42 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 4, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
195 Euros CDG-ORD 4/3

Flight 943, my kids were offered Y to C for 195 Euros. They didn't take the offer, but that seems very low, and I'm surprised they had C seats available on a flight with the new C seats. It was on the Easy Check-In, not at the gate.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, United Club lifetime member, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jilani
4/4/10 LHR-ORD C--->F GBP 354 declined

I should note I was already in NC with miles/copay, so this would have been a double upgrade if I accepted it, but there were three of us on the itinerary and I just couldn't justify spending $1500+ when we already really love the new C.
Update: Glad I didn't take the offer, because my entire party was opped-up to First at the gate. Very pleasant surprise, since I'm only a 1P, and I was with a 2P and a GM (and we were already in NC).
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Wow!

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Flight 943, my kids were offered Y to C for 195 Euros. They didn't take the offer, but that seems very low, and I'm surprised they had C seats available on a flight with the new C seats. It was on the Easy Check-In, not at the gate.
EUR 195 is something like $260-275. That seems like a bargain to me. A few months ago, I was offered C->F on FRA-SFO for something around $900.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: their are many of them
I did a paid upgrade on OS from IAD to VIE i do not feel like disclosing the price but it was worth be able to get some good solid sleep on a international flight .
----------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.