Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by ff100

I have observed that when ice cream is served for dessert, F gets chocolate sauce C just gets bare ice cream.

Yup. I would also say that in general the food served in F is better, although sometimes courses can be shared between F and C. Wine selection is often superior in F. And then there is the more attentive/frequent service from the 1 (and sometimes 2!) FAs having to attend to only 6 persons--not to say that the service in C has been "slow" by any stretch of the imagination on any of the flights I have been on
Old Feb 16, 2010, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
UA OLCI for a flight purchased via bidding on Priceline provided an option to get a paid upgrade to first class. Offered at something well under $200.

Now only to see how it credits toward earning miles.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, ANA, Spg Gold
I paid $600 for an Y>C upgrade at the gate from SFO-KIX some months ago. I was on one of the last 744 (new C) services on the route (now back to old C 777s). Well worth the money as I had a rock bottom economy fare and got a new C seat on the upper deck.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K / CO OP Silver
SFO - SYD

Has anyone recently purchased an upgrade to Business from SFO to SYD? Was curious to know for how much!

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by PEstef
Has anyone recently purchased an upgrade to Business from SFO to SYD? Was curious to know for how much!

Thanks
You should search this thread; put "SFO" and "SYD" in quotes, and you'll find what you are looking for.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First
OLCI HKG-SFO on 2/21/10. Offered Z to F for $7793 HKD (about $1000US).

Accepted.

I was wondering how to tell the chances of getting an op-up because I was almost going to take my chances with that but decided to accept the offer.

On my return flight SFO-HKG on 2/28/10, all seats are already reserved so I'm thinking that I will have the opportunity to pay or possibly get an op-up.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold 1MM
$808 (or something close to that) Y to C 2/19 IAD-LHR on UA918 (777). Relatively empty C cabin, traveling on Q fare.

Declined..with a laugh.

Last edited by lsbuffs; Feb 22, 2010 at 8:31 am Reason: clarified upgrade offered was coach to business
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, MM
Looking for advice...

trying to book SFO>SYD>SFO using SWU. upgradable fare (w) = $1801, but K is $926.

wouldn't i be better off trying to upgrade at the gate for ~$600 e/w instead of wasting 2 SWUs? there are currently around 12 -15 business seats open currently... departure = 2 weeks.

opinions? thoughts? help?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by liddy0021
trying to book SFO>SYD>SFO using SWU. upgradable fare (w) = $1801, but K is $926.

wouldn't i be better off trying to upgrade at the gate for ~$600 e/w instead of wasting 2 SWUs? there are currently around 12 -15 business seats open currently... departure = 2 weeks.

opinions? thoughts? help?
SWU upgrades may clear before you're able to buy your UFC.

Also,
SFO-SYD UFC tends to cost $600-700.
SYD-SFO UFC tends to cost closer to $1000.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Purchased today, 2/24 for the 7pm SFO->LHR for a colleague with the new miles+copay deal, 20K miles + $500 from lowest economy (S?) to C.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
SWU upgrades may clear before you're able to buy your UFC.

Also,
SFO-SYD UFC tends to cost $600-700.
SYD-SFO UFC tends to cost closer to $1000.
Yeah, but if I can't get the SWU confirmed - wouldn't I be risking $1k just for the *chance* of being upgraded? As it stands there are 10 seats open each way. Is that good or bad....
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:43 pm

Programs: United 1k
Never failed to buy - but the security ...

On flights to/from Australia, I have twice failed to buy a y to c upgrade at check in, when I have tried. I have succeded probably 5 times. Never failed on an swu.

The thing is that swu's put you at the front of the upgrade queue, whereas buying them at the gate, you are (definitionally) at the back of the queue. Everyone who has requested a swu/miles upgrade on their reservation will have to got one before they start selling them at the gate.

The new world of c seats, much more sought after by paying customers and fewer seats on the plane, the world of upgrades is much tougher, and you gotta use your priority. If you do not use up all your swu's on the longest flights you do, I think you are a nutter. This is so even though you have to pay twice as much for an upgradeable fare, which is currently the case flying over the pacific. Business class (as it now is) is SO much nicer, the greater likelihood (I think much greater likelihood) of being in c for the 13 hours (night, in both directions) trip is absolutely worth the extra fare.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver, Best West Gold, United Gold
Sadly and turned down for tomorrow Morning flight ord to msp XY award ticket to F $61.
Kinda P'D off that I see eight open F seats from SFO to HNL Tomorrow but I was not offered a buy up online during check in today. Am I thinking of the wrong airline. I thought when you checked in online within 24 hours you could choose exit row seats in the section u paid for i.e. Former 3P so all my seats cleared in E+ whoo hoo.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Robert N
The new world of c seats, much more sought after by paying customers and fewer seats on the plane, the world of upgrades is much tougher, and you gotta use your priority.

What do you mean by 'C' seats?

Forgive me - I'm a noob to most of this lingo.....
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by darksidesith
Sadly and turned down for tomorrow Morning flight ord to msp XY award ticket to F $61.
Kinda P'D off that I see eight open F seats from SFO to HNL Tomorrow but I was not offered a buy up online during check in today. Am I thinking of the wrong airline. ...
Theoretically UA clears the waitlist first and the waitlist may be too deep.
CO sells up grades even if there is a waitlist (and some suspect UA of doing this)
Originally Posted by darksidesith
I thought when you checked in online within 24 hours you could choose exit row seats in the section u paid for i.e. Former 3P so all my seats cleared in E+ whoo hoo. ...
need to be 1P or higher to book exit rows. others can request at the airport if still available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.