Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm guessing you missed out on this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...99-usd-rt.html
And you are guessing wrong!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1kBill
And you are guessing wrong!
It sounds like you might have done something clever.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:22 pm

Programs: EK Silver, LH SEN, CX Gold, UA 2P, DJ Silver, Sixt Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Diamond
Cash upgrade still available?

Hi!

I'm getting closer to my first UA flight from Australia to the States and at the moment I'm not looking forward to it as I'll be in Y.

As UA matched my status I'm 1P currently so I can sit in E+ which is a bit better than E- but it's on 747 so it's not perfect for a flight of that length.

So I'd like to get myself into C/J and the option would be SWU (which I don't have), miles (no miles on the UA account), cash(?) and op-up.
Now I've seen that UA has offered cash upgrades for fair prices in the past. Most thing I've seen was 500/600$.

So I don't want to bet on op-up but what are the common options for international flights with cash?

BTW: I wasn't willing to pay 6000+ USD for UA C/J which is why I ended up in Y/E+. But if I can get cash ups for e.g. 600 either way, then I'm happy with the overall price.

Thanks for helping!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Wome
what are the common options for international flights with cash?
This thread should be of help: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...pile-here.html
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Wome
Hi!

I'm getting closer to my first UA flight from Australia to the States and at the moment I'm not looking forward to it as I'll be in Y.

As UA matched my status I'm 1P currently so I can sit in E+ which is a bit better than E- but it's on 747 so it's not perfect for a flight of that length.

So I'd like to get myself into C/J and the option would be SWU (which I don't have), miles (no miles on the UA account), cash(?) and op-up.
Now I've seen that UA has offered cash upgrades for fair prices in the past. Most thing I've seen was 500/600$.

So I don't want to bet on op-up but what are the common options for international flights with cash?

BTW: I wasn't willing to pay 6000+ USD for UA C/J which is why I ended up in Y/E+. But if I can get cash ups for e.g. 600 either way, then I'm happy with the overall price.

Thanks for helping!
They are available, but its based on the fare-class of your ticket. I would expect the UFC (Upgrade For Cash) to be closer to the $1k range if not higher.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
They are available, but its based on the fare-class of your ticket. I would expect the UFC (Upgrade For Cash) to be closer to the $1k range if not higher.
My understanding is that a UFC is a flat rate.

For example, on a recent flight home from EZE, everyone was offered a upgrade to C-Class for $785.

Mileage co-pays vary by fare class.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:31 am

Programs: EK Silver, LH SEN, CX Gold, UA 2P, DJ Silver, Sixt Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
THanks! I wonder how i could miss that thread but that would really answer my questions! Cheers!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by AZjohns
So what is wrong? (haven't seen your posts)
UA Selling the F/C seats on day of departure before clearing the Upgrade List.

I am talking about UFC not an upfare which is sometimes offered at purchase.

Also the $999 for F may have been due to NF being available but not XF.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
Not an upgrade at the gate, but just checked an upcoming booking online and was offered "premium seating". Decided to go from Y to C for IAD - CDG, although it's an old 777 config. (Don't suppose it's likely that a new config plane is likely to be in place by November? ) Should at least be more comfy than Y!

Curiously enough though, I just logged in to check the booking again and am now being offered an upgrade to international First class for $689! (Also, domestic first on a 3-class 767 for $150.) Doubt I will take them up on the offer, but I was surprised to be offered a double upgrade in this way. Is it common? For what it's worth, I'm a *G but not a UA member.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by orudge
Not an upgrade at the gate, but just checked an upcoming booking online and was offered "premium seating". Decided to go from Y to C for IAD - CDG, although it's an old 777 config. (Don't suppose it's likely that a new config plane is likely to be in place by November? ) Should at least be more comfy than Y!

Curiously enough though, I just logged in to check the booking again and am now being offered an upgrade to international First class for $689! (Also, domestic first on a 3-class 767 for $150.) Doubt I will take them up on the offer, but I was surprised to be offered a double upgrade in this way. Is it common? For what it's worth, I'm a *G but not a UA member.
Out of curiosity, where are you noticing these offers? I've yet to see one when I check my reservations (been offered plenty at booking, though). I'm already in F (or waitlisted for F) on the 4 international segs I have booked now, but I have plenty of domestic itineraries where I'm in Y with "upgrade: pending" (UDU) with NF availability, where I can't find any premium seating offer. Maybe the upgrade can't be pending already for the offer to be out there...
Old Aug 5, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
Originally Posted by ps9a
Out of curiosity, where are you noticing these offers? I've yet to see one when I check my reservations (been offered plenty at booking, though). I'm already in F (or waitlisted for F) on the 4 international segs I have booked now, but I have plenty of domestic itineraries where I'm in Y with "upgrade: pending" (UDU) with NF availability, where I can't find any premium seating offer. Maybe the upgrade can't be pending already for the offer to be out there...
They appear under Travel Options for me. I think this is the first itinerary I've seen them on there though - in the past I've sometimes been offered an upgrade at check-in.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:02 pm

Any data points on what is being offered (Y to C) for SFO-SYD? The flight is approx 1/4 full in C and 1/2 in Y as of now -- but I recognize this can change.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by malgudi
Any data points on what is being offered (Y to C) for SFO-SYD? The flight is approx 1/4 full in C and 1/2 in Y as of now -- but I recognize this can change.
It was 1155 when I went a couple weeks ago.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:28 pm

Thanks for the input. Any idea how the loads were in C and Y?

Originally Posted by atsak
It was 1155 when I went a couple weeks ago.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by malgudi
Thanks for the input. Any idea how the loads were in C and Y?
They were weight restricted on that flight; overbooked in Y as a result by 22 seats. C was overbooked they told me as well, so they must have been pushing people into F (though there's not that many seats so . . .)

I ended up getting VDB on that flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.