Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Got an offer of $809 M -> NC for SFO-LHR on 10/15. Declined.
Hah ? Does this increase every week now ?

In FEB it was 630$ LAX-HKG, last week 705$ LAX-FRA...

Now they say 809$ SFO-LHR (an even shorter route than the other two) ?

Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:22 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Got $999 offer for K->NC both on OLCI and at the airport for LAX-SYD. Declined.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sammybk
Got $999 offer for K->NC both on OLCI and at the airport for LAX-SYD. Declined.
Hmm thanks for the info. That sounds very much like the rate they would charge in general.

Makes the "Deal" to SYD that I planned a bit off the budget.

Rather 2x a ride through the US in F to get 18K Miles each !

Does anyone has an idea what HKG goes for ?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 2:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum
10/11 SFO-SYD, $711 at OLCI. As it's a long overnight flight and I had to do stuff when I hit the ground, I took it.
10/19 SYD-SFO, $890 AUD at OLCI -- or $568 USD. Declined this time.

Both times were K fares, so yes it's definitely possible to get UFC.

Wonder why the price disparity on the return flight? Noticed loads across the board were much lighter than the outbound (nearly full). Perhaps the UFC pricing is dynamic based on load factors?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 2:49 am

Programs: United 2P, QMM, eleVAte
10/22, $808 ORD-LHR to move to C, offered when I checked in at BOS about 5 hours prior. Thought it was interesting since that leg of my ticket was a lowly S fare.

C looked only about 1/3-1/2 full.......
Old Oct 29, 2008, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ryu2
10/11 SFO-SYD, $711 at OLCI. As it's a long overnight flight and I had to do stuff when I hit the ground, I took it.
10/19 SYD-SFO, $890 AUD at OLCI -- or $568 USD. Declined this time.

Both times were K fares, so yes it's definitely possible to get UFC.

Wonder why the price disparity on the return flight? Noticed loads across the board were much lighter than the outbound (nearly full). Perhaps the UFC pricing is dynamic based on load factors?
Hmm thats reasonable again. I wonder if it's better to fly ex SFO !?

LAX with 999$ would kill the deal while SFO would make it perfect
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:19 am

Was on flight 902 DEN-IAD 3-class domestic 777. Originally a Q fare, had upgraded with E-500s to NC. On check in (no baggage) at DEN, idly hit the "view/modify seats" button despite my upgrading having cleared at the window and already selecting my seat. Was offered NC to NF for $213.

Interesting that they offered the a two-class upgrade from my original seat.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by John Thacker
... hit the "view/modify seats" button despite my upgrading having cleared at the window and already selecting my seat. Was offered NC to NF for $213.
Interesting that you had to hit the seats button to get the offer.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
UA858

My mother flew Shanghai Pudong (PVG) to SFO on 10/30 and was offered Y>C for $640 which she declined.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold 0.5 MM; BA Silver
Originally Posted by John Thacker
Was on flight 902 DEN-IAD 3-class domestic 777. Originally a Q fare, had upgraded with E-500s to NC. On check in (no baggage) at DEN, idly hit the "view/modify seats" button despite my upgrading having cleared at the window and already selecting my seat. Was offered NC to NF for $213.

Interesting that they offered the a two-class upgrade from my original seat.
There must have been something wrong there. I thought NC was the ONLY class NOT valid for UFC?! UA offering a double upgrade willingly?
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by gbsfo
There must have been something wrong there. I thought NC was the ONLY class NOT valid for UFC?! UA offering a double upgrade willingly?
Yes, I was very surprised; almost surprised enough to take the offer to see what would happen. Both things were strange; first, that the offer was only made when I hit the seats button (and I already had selected my seat online after the upgrade cleared at the window)-- and when I hit the seats button, it said that "seats would be assigned at the gate" and couldn't be changed at check-in after giving me the buy-up offer. Second, the oddity of being offered a double upgrade from my original booking, which I too thought just "didn't happen."
Old Oct 31, 2008, 1:35 am

SFO->SYD on 10/24 was offered upgrade from K for $825. Glad I declined because turned out I had a whole row of 4 seats to myself in E+.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA1K,MM
Upgrades for Cash to SYD

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am flying Wed 11/5 to SYD starting in JFK arriving in LAX one hour before SYD flight.

My ticket is K, non upgradeable. Business is wide open at this time.

Can I upgrade for cash for the SYD flight in JFK?

If not, is there anything that can be put in the record that will indicate I am willing to upgrade for cash?

If not, is an hour in advance of the flight in LAX enough to try to upgrade?

I much rather use an SWU or miles...is this still a possibility if they offer up the chance to upgrade for cash?

How much is the cash upgrade usually?

Scott
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Tinman
Slight possibility, but I wouldn't expect anything until you get to LAX. Sometimes they'll sell advance UFC, but usually it's only at the departure airport and closer to departure time than the 7 or 8 hours you're talking about.

is there anything that can be put in the record that will indicate I am willing to upgrade for cash?
I doubt it.

I much rather use an SWU or miles...is this still a possibility if they offer up the chance to upgrade for cash?
Barring an agent who's willing to ignore the rules, no.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott
Thank you in advance for your help.

I am flying Wed 11/5 to SYD starting in JFK arriving in LAX one hour before SYD flight.

My ticket is K, non upgradeable. Business is wide open at this time.

If not, is there anything that can be put in the record that will indicate I am willing to upgrade for cash?

If not, is an hour in advance of the flight in LAX enough to try to upgrade?

How much is the cash upgrade usually?

Scott
You can try buying up your fare to an upgradeable fare and then using a SWU or miles. Still no guarantee though of an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.