Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1P
I'm planning on flying United on ZRH-FRA-SFO in January (because that seems to be my only option for cheap upgrades to business, and my company won't pay for a business ticket...)

Am I understanding this right that I can ask for an upgrade once I'm in Frankfurt, with good chances of being able to get one (for money)? I guess I won't be able to ask for it in Zurich, right? And it sounds like I will have to use Swiss's online checkin, so that won't offer me an upgrade either.

Does that sound like it should work? Any other ways to get an upgrade on that transatlantic flight?

thanks!

(Oh, also, I'm a LH silver member, but I doubt that'll give me any chances for an opup)

Last edited by LXFlyer; Nov 19, 2008 at 9:48 am
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LXFlyer
I'm planning on flying United on ZRH-FRA-SFO in January (because that seems to be my only option for cheap upgrades to business, and my company won't pay for a business ticket...)

Am I understanding this right that I can ask for an upgrade once I'm in Frankfurt, with good chances of being able to get one (for money)? I guess I won't be able to ask for it in Zurich, right? And it sounds like I will have to use Swiss's online checkin, so that won't offer me an upgrade either.
Theoretically yes. IF upgrades are available that day !

Also make sure you are on UA901 which has the new configuration.

I'm just surprised how many people are willing to upgrade against cash on business travel. If I'm self employed or on vacation I can understand it but it seems strange for someone to cash out 1000 EUR of the own pocket because the employer doesnt pay for C
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I'm just surprised how many people are willing to upgrade against cash on business travel. If I'm self employed or on vacation I can understand it but it seems strange for someone to cash out 1000 EUR of the own pocket because the employer doesnt pay for C
LOL well I am jealous, I work for a non-profit and pay for my own travel entirely! so to me that's a bonus. it's all a matter of perspective
Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Upon checking in with Mr. Chicken in MSY on 11/18, was offered an upgrade from UPGRADED C (using e-500's) to F on an int'l 777 for ORD-DEN for $325.00. I couldn't find the "decline offer" button fast enough.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
11/19: Mr Chicken offered me NC > F for $652 on 952 (IAD-FRA). I thought about it, then declined. I have the new flat bed on the 763.
If it had been the old style 777, I may well have gone for it to have a flat bed suite.

UPDATE: I spoke too soon! Late equipment change -- no new flat bed in C. Had to make do with old cradle seat. I would have been well ticked off to pay for upgrade to F and then find the old 763 F seat.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Nov 20, 2008 at 2:49 am Reason: Added update on equipment change.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Just checked in. OLCI offered:

LAX-SFO: 74$ to NF
SFO-YVR: 154$ to NF

Declined both as I plan to Standby for a direct LAX-YVR, even if not its a waste of money for such a short flight.

Cheers,
Old Nov 20, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
What's the lowest price you've ever been offered for a C or F buy-up?

As the title says...
Feel free to share your lowest for both domestic or international.

Flew UA 119 SFO-LAX yesterday, and at checkin, I was offered a buy-up to F for a mere $77. On the way out (LAX-SFO), I was offered a buy-up for $325. I didn't take the deal either time, cheapo that I am -- I didn't have any e500s left, but I wouldn't have used them on that route anyway...

On an aside, I believe there was an equipment change for that flight, from an A320 to an A319. If I had purchased the buy-up, and then the downgauge caused the F cabin to be overbooked, what would have happened? How would UA have prioritized the downgrades, and if I had been chosen, would they simply have given me back my $77?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
$68 bur-sfo, 737, Y --> F
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by icedancer
Flew UA 119 SFO-LAX yesterday, and at checkin, I was offered a buy-up to F for a mere $77.
As I posted in the other massive listing thread, I was offered SBN->ORD for $81 on a CR7 - almost $1/mi! Sad that even an SFO-LAX would be $77.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG
July 2005.... ORD - HKG Y-->C $300
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My question is what does a buy-up cost for MEL-SYD? Are meals still served on this quick flight? This one looked pretty good:

http://airlinemeals.net/images/meals...irlines799.jpg
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Peetyrd
July 2005.... ORD - HKG Y-->C $300
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
My thoughts exactly...
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Knowing what I know now about premium cabin travel, I would have been in shock too. This was my first trip on UA, and got me in to the MP program. I was a sophomore in college on a paid trip by the school to SIN.

And no, I didnt take the upgrade. I was a naive little boy. Thanks FT ...... not to mention that i didnt even make 2P that year (I had no clue of elite status)....and we flew MCO - SIN - MCO
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
My thoughts exactly...
Oh, and that doesnt even top off the cake. Our routing the way back was ....HKG - SFO..... and the flight was oversold. They were offering something along the lines of $500 + a free international ticket of some sort + a free night's stay.

I probably would have taken this....but our director wouldnt allow anyone in our group to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.