Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:30 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
I'm shorter than you and get E+ for free, but would buy it for a 14 hour flight even if I didn't get it for free. Your financial circumstances will have to dictate if you find value in spending the money.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:32 pm

I wouldn't mostly because I'm the same height and E+ doesn't make a noticeable difference for me (granted my legs are also relatively short for my height). However if you have a carry-on under the seat (and a sizeable one) that you can't put in the overhead (late boarding group or something) then I would consider E+. YMMV of course
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
also consider if you like window or aisle. If you like window, E+ is slightly helpful for the dreaded bathroom shuffle with your seatmates.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I'm 5'4" and get it free, too, but personally would buy it for that long of a flight. It's not the leg-room, it's about not having the back of the seat in front of me mere inches away from my face when they recline. I don't like to recline, and I find it uncomfortably close when the person in front of me does. Plus, there is still some room to have my laptop open in E+.

And then, yes, since my feet don't reach that far anyway, I can put my carry-on under the seat, have easy access to it, and not have to worry about getting overhead space.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott/IHG Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I am shorter but still prefer E+ bcoz it is much more comfortable especially for 10+ hour flights.

However it is NOT worth of $150
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Consider E+ is also in front of the plane and also more likely to have an empty middle seat.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CrispyRice
It's not the leg-room, it's about not having the back of the seat in front of me mere inches away from my face when they recline.
This. I get claustrophobic if stuck in E- for anything more than an hour or two.

$150 is pretty pricey though.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I'm 5'3"ish and I think it's worth it, but I also get it for free. I realize it's only leg room but it seems to cut down on the claustrophobia feeling in general. Going from FRA-SFO, we had the aisle and window with no one in the middle and E+ and it was pretty comfortable.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
I'm 5'7 and would not pay for E+. Happy to take it if it's free, but it's not worth the money for me.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Don't forget no free booze on UA Int in E+ or Y
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by kettle1
Don't forget no free booze on UA Int in E+ or Y
That has no bearing on this what so ever.

Last edited by dinoscool3; Jul 4, 2014 at 8:00 am
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
One other (smaller) consideration is who's likely to sit next to you. E+ means your neighbor is very likely to be a frequent flyer. Hence, as a very rough guess I'd say....
-more likely to be male, and hence broad shouldered (bad)
-less likely to be a family w/ small kids (good)

Obviously YMMV.

At your height I don't think the additional legroom would be worth paying for.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by CrispyRice
Plus, there is still some room to have my laptop open in E+.
I'm 5'8" and medium size at best, but this is it for me. I do it for the face space, and the ability to get work done on the laptop.

The point about being next to someone who is a frequent flyer also has some merit. More likely to be male is true, but also more familiar with flying etiquette in the confined space.

Which equipment are you flying? E+ is less space on the 747 than the 772, and that might make some difference.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I think the most important concept of E+ is how far the seat infront of you is.

Personally I get dizzy by looking at close objects while riding in a bus, ship, or plane of course.

So I really like E+, Open cabins, Wide long body jets.

Other-words, I like taking the last row on F, and don't have to worry about being disrespectful by reclining into other people.

If you pay E+ I would suggest taking the mid exit rows.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
That has no baring on this what so ever.
I believe it has baring. If the OP is paying $150.00 for E+, that should also include free liquor, slightly better snacks.

http://upgrd.com/matthew/united-elim...omy-class.html

Here, the 10 airlines that serve free alcohol in coach class:

1. American Airlines: American Airlines serves beer and wine for free on long-haul flights, but you still have to pay for liquor. Long-haul flights include any flights to Europe, Asia, and longer ones to Latin America. Unfortunately, for domestic flights you’ll have to shell out around $7 for a drink.

2. Delta: Delta once had the same policy as American with beer and wine free on international flights, excluding Canada. Now, liquor is now free as well. Oh, and if you’re flying on Delta Shuttle (East Coast to West Coast), drinks are free too.

FULL LIST: http://thevivant.com/drink-free-10-a...#ixzz36TcrXzbq

Check out Virgin Atlantic, BA and some of the other Foreign carriers.
UA did not make the list, even for those who pay for E+.
This is one area UA did not copy DL, in fact they went the opposite direction.

So on UA if I was a "short person" - save the $150 and stick with Y. I'm 6'1", so I would pay the $150.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.