Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old May 2, 2020, 4:47 pm
  #766  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 67,314
Originally Posted by whitethunder
just want to clarify, this is only on Star partners right, so If I book a UA flight, even on a bulk ticket, should still be full PQP right ...
For this change, "Earning PQP on flights ticketed and operated by a Star Alliance Partner",UA stated that
For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old May 3, 2020, 10:47 am
  #767  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 417
I sat down and started thinking what else could Mr Kirby do?
Then it came to do me. Reduce the amount of points you can get per flight...Coming soon from your favorite CEO Scott Kirby.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Kirby

The shareholders really need to vote him out before he wrecks the business ...
tilhas is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 8:13 pm
  #768  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: IAD/DCA
Programs: United Platinum
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by bocastephen
They did not - they made it match what Delta and American were offering....and are still offering today.
So now we can safely say that UA has the most difficult elite program thresholds of the big three American airlines--not only do they have higher qualification thresholds than AA or DL across all elite levels, but they cap earnings on partner ticketed flights which neither AA and DL do. Why does it make sense for UA to make their program so much harder to qualify, especially during a time when they are losing huge amounts of passenger traffic? Most of the time the big three match in almost everything. But UA is clearly making things more difficult for their elites. Certainly a lot of elites are stuck with UA due to hubs--but those they still stand to lose "free agent" city elites who could much more easily qualify with AA or DL. Furthermore, this seems like an especially good time for people to reevaluate their allegiances, given the long break in travel for many.
gandalf29 is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 8:27 pm
  #769  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chicago
Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Posts: 974
Originally Posted by gandalf29
So now we can safely say that UA has the most difficult elite program thresholds of the big three American airlines--not only do they have higher qualification thresholds than AA or DL across all elite levels, but they cap earnings on partner ticketed flights which neither AA and DL do. Why does it make sense for UA to make their program so much harder to qualify, especially during a time when they are losing huge amounts of passenger traffic? Most of the time the big three match in almost everything. But UA is clearly making things more difficult for their elites. Certainly a lot of elites are stuck with UA due to hubs--but those they still stand to lose "free agent" city elites who could much more easily qualify with AA or DL. Furthermore, this seems like an especially good time for people to reevaluate their allegiances, given the long break in travel for many.
Because United has PLUSPOINTS and United tells me their the best and their worth every penny of my 24k. 😆. I hear they even let their top tiers access their amazing United clubs for free... o wait NVM.
united 1k flyer is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 8:55 pm
  #770  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Posts: 42,563
Originally Posted by gandalf29
So now we can safely say that UA has the most difficult elite program thresholds of the big three American airlines--not only do they have higher qualification thresholds than AA or DL across all elite levels, but they cap earnings on partner ticketed flights which neither AA and DL do. Why does it make sense for UA to make their program so much harder to qualify, especially during a time when they are losing huge amounts of passenger traffic? Most of the time the big three match in almost everything. But UA is clearly making things more difficult for their elites. Certainly a lot of elites are stuck with UA due to hubs--but those they still stand to lose "free agent" city elites who could much more easily qualify with AA or DL. Furthermore, this seems like an especially good time for people to reevaluate their allegiances, given the long break in travel for many.
Elites cost the company money - Kirby doesn't like to have too many Elites because of the cost, and thus he wants everyone who isn't "margin-positive" out the door, whether Silver or 1K. The MP program is no longer a gateway to loyalty and customer retention, but a metric tool with which to measure per-customer profitability, and either incentivize or punish customers who don't hit the target he arbitrarily created. The more complicated the program, the easier it is for customers to unknowingly fall through the cracks and end up at a lower tier or cost point, this is all about being deliberate. Remember, Kirby doesn't like customers - he likes margin and metrics. You are nothing to him but an instrument with which to achieve arbitrary goals and targets - when you interfere with that plan, you're out. It's the Baldanza Way.
bocastephen is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 9:15 pm
  #771  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 15,159
Originally Posted by bocastephen
...Remember, Kirby doesn't like customers - he likes margin and metrics. You are nothing to him but an instrument with which to achieve arbitrary goals and targets - when you interfere with that plan, you're out. It's the Baldanza Way.
As passengers are such a bother (outside their money) one would think he might be happier at UPS or FedEx - packages dont whine.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 9:56 pm
  #772  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ROC/NYC/MSP/LAX/HKG/SIN
Posts: 3,216
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Elites cost the company money - Kirby doesn't like to have too many Elites because of the cost, and thus he wants everyone who isn't "margin-positive" out the door, whether Silver or 1K. The MP program is no longer a gateway to loyalty and customer retention, but a metric tool with which to measure per-customer profitability, and either incentivize or punish customers who don't hit the target he arbitrarily created. The more complicated the program, the easier it is for customers to unknowingly fall through the cracks and end up at a lower tier or cost point, this is all about being deliberate. Remember, Kirby doesn't like customers - he likes margin and metrics. You are nothing to him but an instrument with which to achieve arbitrary goals and targets - when you interfere with that plan, you're out. It's the Baldanza Way.
You can only do alright when the economy allows you. Many FTers argue how it would fare after the economic downturn comes. Now that everybody cannot travel, and most major airlines are going to embrace 30%+ reduction, I don't know how UA is enticing to people anymore.

Post-2001 -> FFPs were sitting at a very sweet spot.
Post-2008 -> Airlines fight for survival and beg customers to come.

Pandemic -> Extend expiration of status, upgrade instruments, status requirement goes down.

Let's see what this pandemic turns the Airlines and FFPs into.
PaulInTheSky is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 11:11 pm
  #773  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Posts: 42,563
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
As passengers are such a bother (outside their money) one would think he might be happier at UPS or FedEx - packages dont whine.
Well that's certainly how we're made to feel, and on par with his reputation. I received another email today from Ed Bastian at Delta - I think this is the 4th, give or take, that he sent everyone - vs what, 1 email from Oscar, and none from Kirby? When reading today's Bastian email, it's classic marketing communications 101 - designed to create a warm connection and a sense of belonging between the customer and company. United/Kirby is clearly tone-deaf, or incompetent, or just outright doesn't care - or more to the point, probably blames part of the 90% drop in demand directly on customers who don't have the cojones to suck it up and get flying again.

Capping the PQP in this manner isn't the end of the world - I think most of us can work with or around it by using creative routings or tossing in an extra trip, but it's just another cherry on the sundae of a miserable relationship with company leadership who just doesn't get it, or does, but doesn't care. Seriously, what kind of company would trot out a new program restriction designed to curtail benefits with almost zero warning before implementation, at a time like this, while whining that no one is flying??
bocastephen is offline  
Old May 6, 2020, 12:32 am
  #774  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,939
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
Because United has PLUSPOINTS and United tells me their the best and their worth every penny of my 24k. 😆. I hear they even let their top tiers access their amazing United clubs for free... o wait NVM.
Originally Posted by gandalf29
So now we can safely say that UA has the most difficult elite program thresholds of the big three American airlines--not only do they have higher qualification thresholds than AA or DL across all elite levels, but they cap earnings on partner ticketed flights which neither AA and DL do. Why does it make sense for UA to make their program so much harder to qualify, especially during a time when they are losing huge amounts of passenger traffic? Most of the time the big three match in almost everything. But UA is clearly making things more difficult for their elites. Certainly a lot of elites are stuck with UA due to hubs--but those they still stand to lose "free agent" city elites who could much more easily qualify with AA or DL. Furthermore, this seems like an especially good time for people to reevaluate their allegiances, given the long break in travel for many.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Elites cost the company money - Kirby doesn't like to have too many Elites because of the cost, and thus he wants everyone who isn't "margin-positive" out the door, whether Silver or 1K. The MP program is no longer a gateway to loyalty and customer retention, but a metric tool with which to measure per-customer profitability, and either incentivize or punish customers who don't hit the target he arbitrarily created. The more complicated the program, the easier it is for customers to unknowingly fall through the cracks and end up at a lower tier or cost point, this is all about being deliberate. Remember, Kirby doesn't like customers - he likes margin and metrics. You are nothing to him but an instrument with which to achieve arbitrary goals and targets - when you interfere with that plan, you're out. It's the Baldanza Way.
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
You can only do alright when the economy allows you. Many FTers argue how it would fare after the economic downturn comes. Now that everybody cannot travel, and most major airlines are going to embrace 30%+ reduction, I don't know how UA is enticing to people anymore.

Post-2001 -> FFPs were sitting at a very sweet spot.
Post-2008 -> Airlines fight for survival and beg customers to come.

Pandemic -> Extend expiration of status, upgrade instruments, status requirement goes down.

Let's see what this pandemic turns the Airlines and FFPs into.
I sincerely hope that Kirby and UA fails. I would hate if the entire US aviation industry copies UA's model. The only way for UA to abandon its current system is if DL and AA grow at its expense. It's funny when thinking about this because when UA announced the revamp of its loyalty program, some people here were cheering that going revenue based made sense and it'll benefit them. Yet, some or maybe alot of these guys are travelling with OPM. From my perspective, it's really no different from someone doing mileage runs or finding other shortcuts to attain a higher tier in the loyalty program. I suppose everyone here have a self-interest on their preferred model depending on the situation that they're in. Given that business travel have all but dried up and with the possibility that it won't ever rebound to pre-COVID19, I'm curious if they're happy with 1K's qualification requirements? Anyways, I'm ready to take advantage of whatever promotions that will be coming my way. I'll be spending my own money rather than OPM.
lsquare is offline  
Old May 6, 2020, 12:51 am
  #775  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,840
Originally Posted by lsquare
Given that business travel have all but dried up and with the possibility that it won't ever rebound to pre-COVID19, I'm curious if they're happy with 1K's qualification requirements?
For me -- a US-based 1K with little OPM spending -- the original 2020 requirements are less expensive to meet than the 2019 ones were.

Personally, I think the concept of spend-based earnings and qualification is flawed. Outside of certain luxury items, it's generally considered somewhat gauche to call attention to the amount of money your customers are spending on your services.
jsloan is offline  
Old May 6, 2020, 12:55 am
  #776  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 1,250
Originally Posted by lsquare
I sincerely hope that Kirby and UA fails. I would hate if the entire US aviation industry copies...
Many share your sentiment, but the cap is just one more step towards a 5%-10% 'cash back' mileage program. Many on FT are going through withdrawal as they come to terms with this new reality. The others will follow, and Covid will accelerate this movement, as it doesn't make sense to have a mileage program based on miles, when all the high-mileage routes are curtailed for the foreseeable future.
spartacusmcfly is offline  
Old May 6, 2020, 12:57 am
  #777  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,939
Originally Posted by jsloan
For me -- a US-based 1K with little OPM spending -- the original 2020 requirements are less expensive to meet than the 2019 ones were.

Personally, I think the concept of spend-based earnings and qualification is flawed. Outside of certain luxury items, it's generally considered somewhat gauche to call attention to the amount of money your customers are spending on your services.
I agree with you on the last part. I guess we don't have to worry about elites crowding the lounges for the foreseeable future. Even for those that are concerned about the potential increase in elites for 2021 and beyond, I really wonder how many of those people are going to continue to travel if they're not spending OPM? Assuming business travel changes forever due to a variety of factors, are these guys going to continue to complain then?

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Many share your sentiment, but the cap is just one more step towards a 5%-10% 'cash back' mileage program. Many on FT are going through withdrawal as they come to terms with this new reality. The others will follow, and Covid will accelerate this movement, as it doesn't make sense to have a mileage program based on miles, when all the high-mileage routes are curtailed for the foreseeable future.
I don't agree with you there. As soon as a vaccine is developed or if they found a viable treatment for COVID-19, high-mileage routes will continue again.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 6, 2020 at 1:21 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
lsquare is offline  
Old May 6, 2020, 1:05 am
  #778  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 1,250
Originally Posted by jsloan
Personally, I think the concept of spend-based earnings and qualification is flawed. Outside of certain luxury items, it's generally considered somewhat gauche to call attention to the amount of money your customers are spending on your services.
Really? So my no-fee 2% cash back card is a luxury item...
spartacusmcfly is offline  
Old May 6, 2020, 1:08 am
  #779  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,939
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Really? So my no-fee 2% cash back card is a luxury item...
You're probably getting better value from your 2% card than from UA miles that are worth as much as the Greek drachma.
lsquare is offline  
Old May 6, 2020, 1:09 am
  #780  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 1,250
Originally Posted by lsquare
I don't agree with you there. As soon as a vaccine is developed or if they found a viable treatment for COVID-19, high-mileage routes will continue again.
Agreed, but the 5-10% cash back concept will prevail, and given there is no easy way to implement 5%-10% cash back on a mileage based program, most will move to a spend based program.
spartacusmcfly is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.