Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Why would they want to push members to other airlines?
Well that's fair. But then why introduce partner-ticketed PQP earning in the first place?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
After some more consideration, I guess this is arguably still a better situation for US-based travelers than a year+ ago, where PQD could only be earned on 016 stock. But still, an unfortunate turn from what was an especially generous offering under certain circumstances.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by jsloan
There are so many things about airfare that "never made sense" that this doesn't even make the top 50.

If they were only interested in fixing that, they'd have just reduced the multiplier for AC P fares. I promise, they had the entire table in front of them when they made the original decisions. Nobody was caught off guard.

Again, this is the very same thing that DL and AA have been doing for multiple years.
And yet, UA felt the need to correct it just 4 months into the program.
They could have said this was for 2020 only if the only concern was the lower PQD requirements.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:22 pm

While your question is common sense, UA itself instituted this new rule only in late 2019 presumably following a thorough review of its revised MP rules. As much as it pushes members to other airlines, UA must have had a specific intent in mind at the time or it wouldnt have come up with a brand new rule. The question now is what conditions was UA predicting that are now giving UA enough qualms to rescind a rule thats been in place for only six months?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by econ
Well that's fair. But then why introduce partner-ticketed PQP earning in the first place?
Because they wanted to keep a path for international members to earn UA status coming from a place where international members got a free pass until 2020.
But they made it too generous and incentivized booking away from UA, hence today's change.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
...But they made it too generous and incentivized booking away from UA, hence today's change.
They did not - they made it match what Delta and American were offering....and are still offering today.

Look at the underhanded way this was delivered - literally 24hrs before the ticketing deadline cutoff. This has Kirby's stamp all over it.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Why waste your keystrokes debating this when UA could change it again next month, next week, tomorrow ... clearly the rules of MP are written on a chalk board.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
????
I'm flying lie-flat HNL-YYZ-LHR round-trip. One stop (Toronto) each way. What's complicated about that? UA provides one-stops also. The only thing easier (HNL-LHR non-stop) doesn't exist .
For some reasons I assumed you talked about 6000 PQPs and six segments. My bad.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by teledude
The wording has been updated on the UA site.
For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:
So the tempest in the teacup has died down a little.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Leedsflyer
This is indeed extradordinarily unfriendly for non North American based flyers. Most of my travel is from UK to somewhere not in North America. I would have been happier if they capped the earnings on TPAC and TATL where taking UA is an option. But there of course are no UA flights from EU to Asia. I don't expect to be flying much in 2020 in any case since most conferences have been or are being cancelled in my area and I'm 1K now til Jan 22. I flew EU-China earlier this year on LH and earned well over 2000 for a single leg in C. For 2021, I'll probably switch to another *A, or revert back to Skyteam where I have lifetime plat and thus don't have to worry about requalifying... I'll miss those Plus Points though. Of course UA can do what they want, and it was nice whilst it lasted. I'll be sad to leave.
If youre not on UA metal very much, I suspect UA wont be too bothered, which makes sense. It is a good programme, but obviously designed with the UA flyer in mind.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
This must be devastating to the 7 passengers actually materially impacted by it.
It's much, much less impactful in its current form -- again, proofread, please, UA! -- but I don't understand the need for snark. $18K is a lot of money; I'm sure there are more than 7 of us who were interested in earning 1K without spending that much. The value proposition just isn't there at that price. (Under the current rules, I'd lose less than 500 PQP based upon the tickets that I originally booked this year. Under their original, per-ticket proposal, it would have been close to 5,000 PQP).

Because revenues are shared within the JV, but costs aren't? UA earns more money if someone takes a TATL AC flight than they do if the same passenger takes a TATL UA flight.

Because they wanted to keep a path for international members to earn UA status coming from a place where international members got a free pass until 2020.
They didn't get a "free pass." They still had to get 100K PQM if they wanted 1K.

But they made it too generous and incentivized booking away from UA, hence today's change.
Again, they copied DL's MQD tables. The exact same incentives exist in the SkyMiles and AAdvantage programs. The only difference is that I find Star Alliance more appealing than SkyTeam, and I find UA more appealing than AA.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
They did not - they made it match what Delta and American were offering....and are still offering today.
Correct. UA's lack of this "loophole" nearly cost them my business (which, again -- they're trying to fire me, so they wouldn't have shed any tears). Until they matched DL/AA, Diamond / EXP were much cheaper to reach than 1K, for someone who was so inclined.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So I never really understood the whole PQP partner scheme but maybe someone can enlighten me.

Example 1: SFO-FRA-SFO on UA, RT fare in Z is $5k. This earns 5k PQP. If mileage is 5699x2 on LH, does this now earn 1139x2 PQP?
Example 2: SFO-SIN-SFO on UA, RT fare in Z is $7k. This earns 7k PQP. If mileage is 8446x2 on SQ, does this now earn 1407x2 PQP?

Even under prior system it appears that UA was the preferred choice for earning PQP on higher value tickets.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
So I never really understood the whole PQP partner scheme but maybe someone can enlighten me.

Example 1: SFO-FRA-SFO on UA, RT fare in Z is $5k. This earns 5k PQP. If mileage is 5699x2 on LH, does this now earn 1139x2 PQP?
Example 2: SFO-SIN-SFO on UA, RT fare in Z is $7k. This earns 7k PQP. If mileage is 8446x2 on SQ, does this now earn 1407x2 PQP?

Even under prior system it appears that UA was the preferred choice for earning PQP on higher value tickets.
$2500 premium economy on a high miles preferred partner itinerary is the loophole. There are a few here and there.

the entire program is way too complicated now and has little to do with miles...
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:43 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's much, much less impactful in its current form -- again, proofread, please, UA! -- but I don't understand the need for snark. $18K is a lot of money; I'm sure there are more than 7 of us who were interested in earning 1K without spending that much. The value proposition just isn't there at that price. (Under the current rules, I'd lose less than 500 PQP based upon the tickets that I originally booked this year. Under their original, per-ticket proposal, it would have been close to 5,000 PQP)..
I would love to earn 1k or GS without spending anything either. But it's a UA program for UA flyers; I don't know why people who don't fly UA expect to be treated like royalty, or even as a 1k, for not flying UA. It's like flying Delta and expecting UA points.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:43 am

So, the pathetic me spent countless time at the end of last year and the beginning of this one, mocking up spreadsheets and conjuring up perfect itineraries to enable me to maintain 1K for 2021 (and even 2022) through the patronage of partners with the least amount of $$$, after UA introduced the new PQP system. Then COVID-19 came about, and I thought my 2020 plans were ruined, then UA halved the requalifying requirements for 2021, returning to me some glimmer of hope.

Then, yesterday, this new bombshell dropped. All my plans are down the drain again.

Well, I guess my time-wasting endeavors weren't the worst thing I could have done.

I could've actually bought the tickets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.