Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old May 6, 2020, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
This is a meh change to this Europe based flyer. Ive only had to purchase LH tickets for a few short haul flights around Europe where UA wont sell a ticket. While I prefer flying on LH metal TATL, I can do it on a 016 ticket.
Agree. I was much more irritated by the rather absurd $24k spend requirement for 1K (for those who don't do segments). Most high rev customers are not looking to game the system by buying cheap longhauls on masochistic AC flights.
Old May 6, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
There's nothing to suggest this new cap impacts more than a small percentage of non-016 tickets. Can we finally get past calling this as a "huge devaluation"?
When I posted this it was assumed the cap was per ticket, so at that time it certainly seemed huge. Now that UA clarified the cap is per flight, not so much.
Old May 6, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Agree. I was much more irritated by the rather absurd $24k spend requirement for 1K (for those who don't do segments). Most high rev customers are not looking to game the system by buying cheap longhauls on masochistic AC flights.
UA's desire to control the costs to the airline of even the most modest of 1K perks significantly predates COVID.
Old May 6, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
There's nothing to suggest this new cap impacts more than a small percentage of non-016 tickets. Can we finally get past calling this as a "huge devaluation"?
Well I note this is no longer a "Huge" devaluation, Just a regular devaluation.
Old May 9, 2020, 12:48 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
what does anyone suggest as a better star alliance carrier to switch to for mileage earning for non north american flyers?
Old May 9, 2020, 1:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
what does anyone suggest as a better star alliance carrier to switch to for mileage earning for non north american flyers?
Best place to discuss this is Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here -- see the thread's wiki before posting
Old May 9, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Apologies for a basic question but I'm not sure even if I consider myself pretty well versed in miles ..
P class UA metal sold as LH code on LH ticket stock , earnings are LH earnings of a P ticket or United P class? As it's not 016 UA doesn't know the fare component so RDMs are based on what? LH P? UA P? Some mix of price (as if it were a 016 stock)?
Old May 9, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfkeze
Apologies for a basic question but I'm not sure even if I consider myself pretty well versed in miles ..
P class UA metal sold as LH code on LH ticket stock , earnings are LH earnings of a P ticket or United P class? As it's not 016 UA doesn't know the fare component so RDMs are based on what? LH P? UA P? Some mix of price (as if it were a 016 stock)?
United P class. Earnings will be based on the fare component, which UA does know, because they're operating the flight.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
I'm late to this party (obviously not travelling a whole lot at the moment...) But UA's MP department has truly reached hilarious status in my opinion. The last 4 years have been like bringing in the cat to catch the mice, and then the dog to catch the cats, and now we're bringing in some snakes to take care of our dog problem... I honestly have to wonder if this is truly solving some "problem" they had in the program's revenue, or if this has been just one lurching decision after the next of trying to get something to stick that's "better" than what they perceived to be not working well enough??

I've been pricing out Asia flights for the potential return-to-travel in late summer/fall, and seeing business class tickets on perfectly respectable airlines for as low as $2200. There's business class fares in October NYC-SIN for <$4k round trip. If the IATA's reports are to be believed, it could be 3 years before fares return to pre-pandemic levels. Which creates two problems:

1) With business class fares that low, there's almost no way for even frequent Int'l travelers to hit the 2019-introduced spend levels unless you're forced to buy refundable fares or are one of the true road-warriors (at which point, frankly, status earning doesn't matter).
and;
2) With business class fares that low, there's literally no reason to care about status, because you're buying virtually all of the same perks, if not more in some cases.

I think a lot of people are just tired of the game, frankly... and post-pandemic, I think a lot more people are going to seriously reconsider the "need" to play it. *shrug*
Old May 9, 2020, 12:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Darlox
.... I think a lot of people are just tired of the game, frankly...
But the question is, outside of FT, how many consider this a "game" they participate in (vs how many see it as just what happens)? IME, most (outside of the FT world) focus on other issues.
Old May 9, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'm late to this party (obviously not travelling a whole lot at the moment...) But UA's MP department has truly reached hilarious status in my opinion. The last 4 years have been like bringing in the cat to catch the mice, and then the dog to catch the cats, and now we're bringing in some snakes to take care of our dog problem... I honestly have to wonder if this is truly solving some "problem" they had in the program's revenue, or if this has been just one lurching decision after the next of trying to get something to stick that's "better" than what they perceived to be not working well enough??

I've been pricing out Asia flights for the potential return-to-travel in late summer/fall, and seeing business class tickets on perfectly respectable airlines for as low as $2200. There's business class fares in October NYC-SIN for <$4k round trip. If the IATA's reports are to be believed, it could be 3 years before fares return to pre-pandemic levels. Which creates two problems:

1) With business class fares that low, there's almost no way for even frequent Int'l travelers to hit the 2019-introduced spend levels unless you're forced to buy refundable fares or are one of the true road-warriors (at which point, frankly, status earning doesn't matter).
and;
2) With business class fares that low, there's literally no reason to care about status, because you're buying virtually all of the same perks, if not more in some cases.

I think a lot of people are just tired of the game, frankly... and post-pandemic, I think a lot more people are going to seriously reconsider the "need" to play it. *shrug*
I agree, there are a lot of cheap fares across all cabins. However, I've avoided booking since restrictions aren't lifted. I also don't want to deal with potential refund problems.
Old May 9, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But the question is, outside of FT, how many consider this a "game" they participate in (vs how many see it as just what happens)? IME, most (outside of the FT world) focus on other issues.
I think anybody who hasn't at least partially game-ified their flying has already moved well beyond the point of caring about status. If you shop solely cheapest-fare: a) you're not flying the legacy carriers much anymore, and; b) you're probably not aware of the qualification criteria in any fully-aware sense, so making status would come as a pleasant surprise.

So anybody who is aware of status and "aiming" for it, has to at least educate themselves on what's involved. Taking a vacation and paying slightly more to fly on a preferred carrier is one thing. Directing 100% of your travel and aiming for $18k/$24k per year is ENTIRELY another. Unless you're a corporate flyer who just doesn't care -- in which case, the flyer themselves is meaningless... it's the corporate travel planner who is the important party in the transaction -- you have to at least be _aware_ of what's going on.

My point was that the bar has now gotten high and complicated enough that a lot of people aren't going to care enough to reach for it. Maybe that's what the legacy carriers are after?? But if that's the case, then let's stop even pretending it's a loyalty program... it's just a corporate rebate program with some pleasant perks.
Old May 9, 2020, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
But if that's the case, then let's stop even pretending it's a loyalty program... it's just a corporate rebate program with some pleasant perks.
Hate to break it to you, loyalty has gone out the window as long time ago. All are marketing programs.

The majority of flying public has neither the time nor the attention span to care about status. Whether it's work or leisure flights, they are getting from point a to b in the fastest time, at the cheapest fare, or something in between. Most flyers don't buy a ticket, and think about the amount of PQP it would generate.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by NUE_flyer
So, well.. Hi everybody! This is my first post

Yes, I am one of those non-US Premiers that they want to get rid of. Sad for me, definitely. Yet, I understand the motivation very well... Nevertheless, due to my original plans (from Feb), these changes wouldn't have affected me that much, planning on P/Z/D to Asia (NH/LH) or US (UA). In this pattern, I had a sweet spot on NH in D for 2900 PQP/segment. Everything else, yep not nice but nothing against the punch of last Nov.

What I don't understand is, why they need yet another criterion. Haven't we been told recently that they strive to make things easy and transparent for the most stupid of us? So, this cap doesn't make any sense. They could have cut my NH swet spot. Ok. Or (like LH next year), require a minimum PQP from UA (at the same time cutting the legancy "4 segments UA"). I get a feeling, that all that mess comes from mixing apples and pears, miles and bucks.

As for UAs timing, I feel the moment was good. Those who have booked before will get the old conditions, and at the same time, not that many people have (re-)booked already. So better now than in three months, when HOPEFULLY more birds are up in the air again.
I find your analysis quite interesting about how they could have just required a certain % of PQPs to come from UA metal. Scrap the 4 segment requirement, it wouldn't be necessary (and I can achieve those 4 segments for $100-$200 if so inspired, with the entirety of the rest of my flights on *A partners). Both NH and (copycat) JL have 50% metal requirements, so if UA really wants to shave off excessive PQPs from partner flights then a 50% UA metal PQP requirement would fit the bill. Give people freedom to fly whatever *A partner they really want to fly part of the year, then force them onto UA shit the other part.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I find your analysis quite interesting about how they could have just required a certain % of PQPs to come from UA metal. Scrap the 4 segment requirement, it wouldn't be necessary (and I can achieve those 4 segments for $100-$200 if so inspired, with the entirety of the rest of my flights on *A partners). Both NH and (copycat) JL have 50% metal requirements, so if UA really wants to shave off excessive PQPs from partner flights then a 50% UA metal PQP requirement would fit the bill. Give people freedom to fly whatever *A partner they really want to fly part of the year, then force them onto UA shit the other part.
All they were trying to do was encourage us to primarily use partner flights as short-hop final leg flights. A cap accomplishes that perfectly. Allows them to maintain 5x/6x multiples on short-haul, while not getting stung by those multiples on long-haul.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.