Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Just a reminder that before PQP and PQF were introduced last November, your $6,000 was getting zero PQD.

If ďabsurdĒ is used to describe not getting half of $6,000 for PQP, Iíd like to know what adjective you used when it was zero PQD.
Pre last November I didn't need that PQD, so zero was fine.

I chose UA MP as my primary FF program instead of BR, TG, or NH because, as an American living overseas, I still do a great deal of USA domestic travel each year, and I feel it is important to contribute economically to my country of origin when I can. Almost every TPAC I take is on UA, and nearly every USA domestic flight I take is UA (a few WN here and there, based on schedule). But, if I need to fly TPE-BKK, NRT-SIN, etc, there is no United option - I have to fly OAL.

My point is that I made an active choice to focus my flying on UA and *A. Pre last November, I didn't need PQD at all, and I was still highly incentivized to fly UA whenever I could. The one TPAC where I sometimes go non-UA is BR's TPE-JFK flight. It's a really bummer to limit the PQP on that BR TPE-JFK flight, as my schedule doesn't always allow the UA TPE-SFO-EWR - even though I prefer it because I love the SFO Polaris lounge.

I wish UA would stop trying to fire us overseas residents as 1K members, but that's their prerogative.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Pre last November I didn't need that PQD, so zero was fine.

I chose UA MP as my primary FF program instead of BR, TG, or NH because, as an American living overseas, I still do a great deal of USA domestic travel each year, and I feel it is important to contribute economically to my country of origin when I can. Almost every TPAC I take is on UA, and nearly every USA domestic flight I take is UA (a few WN here and there, based on schedule). But, if I need to fly TPE-BKK, NRT-SIN, etc, there is no United option - I have to fly OAL.

My point is that I made an active choice to focus my flying on UA and *A. Pre last November, I didn't need PQD at all, and I was still highly incentivized to fly UA whenever I could. The one TPAC where I sometimes go non-UA is BR's TPE-JFK flight. It's a really bummer to limit the PQP on that BR TPE-JFK flight, as my schedule doesn't always allow the UA TPE-SFO-EWR - even though I prefer it because I love the SFO Polaris lounge.

I wish UA would stop trying to fire us overseas residents as 1K members, but that's their prerogative.
Looks like you are in a great shape PQP wise if your travel pattern reminds the same post Covid-17. The PQD/PQP that you don't need for requalification will still come in handy to expedite the requalification. I actually think setting the PQF so high may be a problem for some oversea based flyers.

If I am based overseas and I don't travel to/from US often (obviously this is not your case), I wonder why I would want to credit my flight activities to Mileage Plus (or AA or DL). Is Mileage Plus (or AA and DL) still better than other overseas airlines programs? I have been a SQ PPS for almost a decade, I like flying SQ but its program is just not competitive.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Just a reminder that before PQP and PQF were introduced last November, your $6,000 was getting zero PQD.
I think this is an important point to keep in mind.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Reminder

This thread is about the cap on PQP for partner flights, not the impact of COVID on travel -- there are plenty of threads already discussing that topic (and some posts have been moved to those threads).

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 1, 2020, 12:09 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC

If “absurd” is used to describe not getting half of $6,000 for PQP, I’d like to know what adjective you used when it was zero PQD.
PQDs are not PQPs so I am not sure why this is at all a point of contention. Just looking right now at flights in 2020, I would have to move at least two and maybe three TPACs over to UA in order to hit the PQP threshold. I did move one of my TPACs in early 2019 over to UA just to make sure I would hit the PQD threshold, but did not wind up needing it. To be honest I am not sure even moving one over is worth 1K.

But as I said previously, this is probably for the best. Becoming a free agent allows me to take other carriers TATL and domestically instead of giving that business to UA.

Originally Posted by kevflyer
At least you still have Platinum for life. So that softens the blow a little. Not everyone is that lucky.
Well, there is not much point to elite status on an airline I am not flying. Such is the issue with lifetime status and why there is no reason to chase it.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Just another data point FWIW:

I just did a calculation on what would have been the case in 2019 for PQP earning with and without the new non-UA PQP cap. I would have had ~22200 with no cap, and ~4500 fewer with the cap. My UA flights PQP wouldn't have taken me up to 24000 in the latter case, but would just have in the former. I only had 36 PQF, so would have had to have got 24000 PQP not 18000. A total of 8 flights would have been capped (all Europe-Asia). On the mileage system that was in place last year, I was around 130,000 total miles so comfortably 1K. So all this is definitely very negative for me. But of course many other FF programmes have also got worse...
Old May 1, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Some form of change in the Partner PQP earning has long been expected -- should not be a surprise to anyone.
Yes, exactly. It obviously wasn't going to last:
Gone are the days where one could get a CA 'deal fare' for ~$520 and get 3490 PQP for it!
(Although, come to think of it, it may still be possible in the future with some good 'deals'!)

Still, to announce this right now seems just so....Unit'esque...
Old May 1, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by strife
This is a truly awful change. I get that there were overvaluations on some alliance partners at the PE level and I am fine with adjusting for that, but these restrictions also further diminish what was already pathetic business class earning. I already thought it was absurd to spend $6,000 on a business class ticket on an alliance partner and not even get half that in PQPs and now on that very same ticket I will be limited to just 2,000 PQPs.

Some people have opined about UA status being for UA fliers, but what is the point of alliances then? One of the most attractive aspects of alliances when they were first introduced was being able to pick whatever airlines and programs were best suited and that was a big draw especially for Star since they had the best airlines.

Ah well, the only carrot UA had for me was making 1K so this just lets me fully be a free agent. No need to book any domestics on UA now either.
I think your real issue is the removal of the PQD waiver for non-US residents. This cap on non-016 ticketed PQP is just a little red herring by comparison.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I just found a "deal" still around: LAX-HKG, September, UA is selling around $350, and AC is selling K for US$339. Using 50% and /5, YVR-HKG being 639 PQP (below 750 cap), the whole itin yields 1494 PQP. Rinse and repeat (and fly UA metal 4 times) and you can still requal as desired...
Old May 1, 2020, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I just found a "deal" still around: LAX-HKG, September, UA is selling around $350, and AC is selling K for US$339. Using 50% and /5, YVR-HKG being 639 PQP (below 750 cap), the whole itin yields 1494 PQP. Rinse and repeat (and fly UA metal 4 times) and you can still requal as desired...
also another good fare to Lisbon from yyz to lis on tap for 1100 bucks earns Just over 2000pqp because itís a multiple segment ticket. Plus if you live in the states you can probably book a good p fare to yyz and earn even more multipliers. I think right now getting 2x PQP is fairly easy.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I think your real issue is the removal of the PQD waiver for non-US residents. This cap on non-016 ticketed PQP is just a little red herring by comparison.
I do not understand this post at all. I am a US resident and have been since birth. I already said I was subject to PQD in past years.

Again PQPs are not PQDs. PQPs are the only issue now. PQDs were like the required minimum UA metal flight requirement but PQMs were still needed and alliance partners still earned them fairly for the most part. Trying to equate them, especially now, makes absolutely no sense.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Could you please clarify the itinerary?

LAX-UA-HKG-AC-YVR-AC-LAX?
Old May 1, 2020, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Could you please clarify the itinerary?

LAX-UA-HKG-AC-YVR-AC-LAX?
No. Just a 1 stop YVR. All AC metal.

LAX-YVR-HKG-YVR-LAX

See GF: https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...55*2.USD.33255
Old May 2, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by strife
I do not understand this post at all. I am a US resident and have been since birth. I already said I was subject to PQD in past years.

Again PQPs are not PQDs. PQPs are the only issue now. PQDs were like the required minimum UA metal flight requirement but PQMs were still needed and alliance partners still earned them fairly for the most part. Trying to equate them, especially now, makes absolutely no sense.
Sorry, I was co-mingling your post with another from a non-US resident. Still, I think the point several have made that this new cap only impacts a relatively few flights is correct.
Old May 2, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
just want to clarify, this is only on Star partners right, so If I book a UA flight, even on a bulk ticket, should still be full PQP right

thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.