Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Better question is how did the program designers not see it if we all saw it?
My wild guess:

UA -- Design the program to go to a revenue-based system and figure out how to incorporate circumstances where the revenue can't be certain. Oh, and throw in the bone of all *A flights count for segments.

FT -- The savviest of the savvy instantly look for the things that UA may never really have thought about (minute example #1 : long haul AC P fares).
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:50 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Based on halving the PQP requirements this year, are we thinking the cap will double next year?
Me thinks "Fat Chance"
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by EWR764
Would it be fair to assume the 1500 PQP cap per segment remains based on miles flown rather than revenue allocated to a given segment?

For instance, take EWR-YVR-HKG in AC P, AC stock. EWR-YVR 2429mi, YVR-HKG 6392mi. Previously, AC P earned PQP at 40% of flown miles.

Original Partner PQP scheme:
EWR-YVR 972 PQP
YVR-HKG 2557 PQP
Total: 3529 PQP

Revised Partner PQP scheme:
EWR-YVR 972 PQP (<1500 PQP)
YVR-HKG 1500 PQP (>1500 PQP)
Total: 2472 PQP

So, if PQP for a given segment exceeds 1500, it is capped at 1500 for that segment. Anything less, I assume, would credit based on the published ratios.
Correct.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:55 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
This does seem to be extremely odd timing for a devaluation. But then again, what would I know about business strategy at major airlines anyways?
Don't feel too bad about it - To get millions for yourself while losing billions for stockholders - only a few geniuses can do that.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Connect twice instead of three times, when you can enjoy the lieflat HNL-YYZ to probably HNL-YVR-YYZ or something else? Boy, it gets too complicated. Too complicated to worry about status in UA, when my current job does not force me to fly on UA exclusively.

Thank god I wrapped up the MM status a few years ago.
????
I'm flying lie-flat HNL-YYZ-LHR round-trip. One stop (Toronto) each way. What's complicated about that? UA provides one-stops also. The only thing easier (HNL-LHR non-stop) doesn't exist .

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 28, 2020 at 2:48 pm Reason: added sp ace
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K , LH SEN
So, well.. Hi everybody! This is my first post

Yes, I am one of those non-US Premiers that they want to get rid of. Sad for me, definitely. Yet, I understand the motivation very well... Nevertheless, due to my original plans (from Feb), these changes wouldn't have affected me that much, planning on P/Z/D to Asia (NH/LH) or US (UA). In this pattern, I had a sweet spot on NH in D for 2900 PQP/segment. Everything else, yep not nice but nothing against the punch of last Nov.

What I don't understand is, why they need yet another criterion. Haven't we been told recently that they strive to make things easy and transparent for the most stupid of us? So, this cap doesn't make any sense. They could have cut my NH swet spot. Ok. Or (like LH next year), require a minimum PQP from UA (at the same time cutting the legancy "4 segments UA"). I get a feeling, that all that mess comes from mixing apples and pears, miles and bucks.

As for UAs timing, I feel the moment was good. Those who have booked before will get the old conditions, and at the same time, not that many people have (re-)booked already. So better now than in three months, when HOPEFULLY more birds are up in the air again.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Anyway, if I interpret this change correctly, we just need watch the fare construction of any partner discount business tickets to see how it will change the allocation of PQP or if additional segments are needed to make up for the cap.
PQD didn't strictly follow fare construction, and no reason to think PQP will be any different.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Air India Maharaja Club, Lufthansa FT, Jet Airways Platinum, Hilton Gold
Having read through the thread, I completely understand both sides of it - Again, I am one of those non-US flyers they want to get rid of.
Yes, I buy a lot of *A partner tickets and qualify for 1K every year. Yes, I understand UAs motivation to get the $$ 016 tickets, and very often I do buy 016 tickets if they are the same price for the 11x award. However, I think the cap at $1000/1500 or 500/750 is a little ridiculous for long-haul Asia flights, where Y tickets can easily cost upwards of $800/leg. Plus, if you're flying a segment like EWR - BOM/DEL, you'll be paying upwards of $800/leg, but it's only 2 segments due to nature of a non-stop and earn only $500. I think that's a little unfair.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:20 pm

People are dying by the hundred of thousands worldwide, their own company is threatened and only alive due to the fact that taxpayers money is propping them up, thousands of their employees need urgent help. Yet during these trying times UA management is still busy chiseling away at their FF program and seeking more and more ways to reduce "benefits". This speaks volumes to the company's corporate culture and attitude towards their customers.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
When I saw the program change late last year, I decided to give up United since there is no way that I can qualify as 1K with the new criteria.
Until now, I did not fly a single segment and unexpectedly, my 1K status gets extended due to the Covid crisis. All the flies earlier this year were to AA/ DL.

I think I really made a good choice - the cap on partner earning, and the dynamic pricing on partner flights both just prove it. I guess the next to come is a further slash on % earning, a further increase of dollars needed to qualify... How possible that an airline can make all these achievements within 6 months period (from the announcement of the changed program to now)?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:13 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Bad data? I would think that UA has years of data on their MP members including: the amount of *A flights taken, the route, how many RDMs are awarded etc. Perhaps they underestimated the amount of people that would be willing to fly AC for PQPs and with COVID-19 they want to encourage their members to fly UA metal or at least codeshares? I'm not entirely sure how the finances work out for non codeshare non-JV *A flights. Giving credit towards status on UA certainly costs UA something and maybe they need to claw it back more aggressively.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I cannot believe that the subject of whether upgrades will be easier or harder to get hasn't been broached. Shame on you! We're at 8 pages and you are all on a final warning as to your future conduct.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
FT -- The savviest of the savvy instantly look for the things that UA may never really have thought about (minute example #1 : long haul AC P fares).
This isn't some amazing loophole that only savvy FTers would see. They copied DL's MQD allocation scheme. DL and AA both have exactly these same "loopholes" for discount business class fares on parter airlines. Those airlines have decided that few enough people take advantage of them for it to matter.

Originally Posted by EWR764
Would it be fair to assume the 1500 PQP cap per segment remains based on miles flown rather than revenue allocated to a given segment?
Yes.

They saw it. They didn't care. They might still not care if it weren't for the lower requirements (although they're saying that they're not planning to rethink).
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
People are dying by the hundred of thousands worldwide, their own company is threatened and only alive due to the fact that taxpayers money is propping them up, thousands of their employees need urgent help. Yet during these trying times UA management is still busy chiseling away at their FF program and seeking more and more ways to reduce "benefits". This speaks volumes to the company's corporate culture and attitude towards their customers.
I disagree with the thought that leadership thinks that UA is doomed. Just the converse. I think that UA knows it will survive and now is the time to dump those elite passengers who contribute little to the program but suck large chunks of benefits offered from it.

They took the approach of closing a loophole that was exploited primarily by savvy FFs. This little fix actually cost them nothing because it closes a loophole that cost them money yet impacts the FF's UA wants to keep to a lessor degree. However, I trust that the brillant (and I mean that sincerely) minds of FT will figure out the loopholes in this newest version of "Tales of MP"

In truth, this is far better than AAs method of eliminating elite flyers by throwing them out of the program and confiscating their miles because the exploited loopholes in their CC program
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I don't want to minimize the optics, because the optics can certainly be perceived as poor. For the record, this is coming from someone based out the worst hit city in the US.

That said, I would speculate UA is doing this to build a better balance sheet by minimizing its liabilities.. While this may be seen as a terrible move among FFers, it has also min. impact on the overall flying public.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.