Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:02 pm

Hello! I find the new system super confusing and hoping someone can help me choose between 2 flight options to maximize PQP. I'm currently United Gold but have 2 trips planned this year anyway, so hoping to take advantage of the 50% requirement to get to Platinum for the first time. I need about 1,700 PQP to hit Platinum.

My upcoming trip is EWR to TIA (Albania). Booking through the Chase portal.

Option 1 (less ideal flight time on return):
Lufthansa/Austrian flight, through United (1 stop each way: FRA,VIE). So ticket starts with 016 and United app tells me it would earn about 696 PQP.
Cash cost $822.

Option 2 (better return flight with shorter layover)
Lufthansa/Lufthansa flight, Fare Class T (1 stop each way: FRA,FRA). I get a Lufthansa confirmation number. On the United site, I see T fare class for this partner earns 50% of miles. How does this factor into PQP?
Cash cost $845.

Will I get a lot fewer PQP from the second option as I suspect given the T fare class? I tried to use the calculator and it says I will actually earn more (934 PQP) from the second flight. Is this correct that it is actually better?

Last edited by smartcookie; Aug 21, 2020 at 6:28 pm
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I believe the LH ticket (T fare) will net : .1 X (great circle flight miles EWR-FRA + FRA-TIA) x 2 (for round-trip). Status does not add anything to the PQPs or PQFs, but it does for award miles. It looks like you're confusing award (redeemable) miles with qualification points.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:26 pm

Ok, but regardless of that, is it possible that I would actually earn more PQP by flying Lufthansa on a Lufthansa-ticketed flight in this case? The calculator seems to think so. https://pqp.economiles.com/?q=EWR,FR...,LH,T&status=2
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smartcookie
Lufthansa/Austrian flight, through United (1 stop each way: FRA,VIE). So ticket starts with 016 and United app tells me it would earn about 696 PQP.
Cash cost $822.
That sounds about right.

Lufthansa/Lufthansa flight, Fare Class T (1 stop each way: FRA,FRA). I get a Lufthansa confirmation number. On the United site, I see T fare class for this partner earns 50% of miles.
Cash cost $845.

Will I get a lot fewer PQP from the second option as I suspect given the T fare class? I tried to use the calculator and it says I will earn 934 PQP. Is this correct that it is actually better?
934 is correct. 4672 miles each way, and as IAH-OIL-TRASH said, it's 10% of that value. Or, alternatively, you get half-mileage credit for a T fare, and then you divide by 5. You get the same value either way.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, but regardless of that, is it possible that I would actually earn more PQP by flying Lufthansa on a Lufthansa-ticketed flight in this case? The calculator seems to think so. https://pqp.economiles.com/?q=EWR,FR...,LH,T&status=2
The calculator looks correct since it is indeed calculating 10% of the mileage for the PQPs.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:36 pm

Thank you both! Just seemed odd that United would issue more PQPs for a partner Economy Basic flight, but I'll take it! This puts me more than half way to my goal. Hoping to get away on a honeymoon in November to the Maldives after this, so should be enough PQP there to get me over 1,700 total ))

Super helpful. Just wasn't sure if I was doing everything correctly. Getting better flight times and more PQP is ideal.

Last edited by smartcookie; Aug 21, 2020 at 7:14 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! Just seemed odd that United would issue more PQPs for a partner Economy Basic flight, but I'll take it!
It's not intentional; it's just a byproduct of the way that UA is trying to create a representation of the fare paid without actually using that information. Sometimes it works out in your favor; sometimes it doesn't.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
(That said, the very least expensive Lufthansa fare class, G, does not qualify for PQPs at all).
Isn't LH G still full fare PE? I see it in the GDS.

I don't believe UA publishes their own G fares TATL.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Isn't LH G still full fare PE? I see it in the GDS.

I don't believe UA publishes their own G fares TATL.
Oops, my mistake. Thanks! I'll correct my original posts.

(This is what happens when I go so long without flying )
Old Aug 22, 2020, 6:04 pm

Happy I could help, but I'm sorry the results weren't more to your liking.

(...)

Hope this helps...
24 hours is up, so here's my most recent update
I was able to get the ticket i was looking for - in the end i went "Premium Economy" on Lufthansa. Under $1200, and that includes two free checked bags each way, which I was going to have to pay extra for when going regular economy, so all-in i'm probably only out ~$200 more than I had hoped.

Booked everything on Lufthansa.com. There's a United flight to Chicago from my city, then four Lufthansa flights:
Chicago to Frankfurt (Premium economy class N)
Frankfurt to Athens (Economy class Y)
Athens to Frankfurt (Economy class Y)
Frankfurt to Washington IAD (premium economy N)
Then from washington there's a United flight home.

When i plug those 4 flights into the flight calcualtor, surprisingly the "Y" class gives 150% RDM earnings!
So with just those 4 flights i'm at 11,813 miles RDM, 2,178 PQP and 4 PQFs.

I can log into United.com and using my Lufthansa confirmation code, can pull up my full itinerary (it shows up in 'my trips' - i'm assuming because i entered the MileagePlus number at booking).
United doesn't show anywhere on their itinerary what my PQP will be for the two flights in the itinerary that are on their airline, but i'm assuming that's got to do with what their 'list price' is, so it will be hopefully 100+ PQP each, but no way to really know?

I was pretty proud of the amount i paid for the higher PQPs, hopefully going to be at 2500 PQP for a <$1200 itinerary, in premium economy.
Let me know your thoughts, and whether i'm calculating it correctly please
Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Oops, my mistake. Thanks! I'll correct my original posts.

(This is what happens when I go so long without flying )
No worries - I've been out of the game long enough I was legitimately unsure if something had changed

Originally Posted by mysticalice
United doesn't show anywhere on their itinerary what my PQP will be for the two flights in the itinerary that are on their airline, but i'm assuming that's got to do with what their 'list price' is, so it will be hopefully 100+ PQP each, but no way to really know?
Some portion of the fare is assigned to the UA segment and you earn that. No way to know, and I would not hold out hope on it being much of anything.

I was pretty proud of the amount i paid for the higher PQPs, hopefully going to be at 2500 PQP for a <$1200 itinerary, in premium economy.
Seems right to me. Can't go wrong flying PE for that price. Yes, the Europe segments delegate to full Y and earn accordingly (although still no free seat select).
Old Aug 22, 2020, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with findark that you're probably overestimating the UA flights a bit, but otherwise you have it correct. I'm glad to see that there was a discount PE flight that fit your budget. Whereas discount economy does not provide a big PQP->$ value, discount PE and discount business class often do.

No worries - I've been out of the game long enough I was legitimately unsure if something had changed
Nope, just a vague recollection that, at one time, the least-expensive fare class on LH didn't earn miles, and the many surprised individuals who found out about it the hard way. But that was a K fare, and it's been quite a while since that was a problem.

Some portion of the fare is assigned to the UA segment and you earn that. No way to know, and I would not hold out hope on it being much of anything.
Right. UA has never published the formula that they use, so it's impossible to know whether or not they get it right. It's loosely based upon distance and the underlying fare. If OP is starting from someplace on the east coast, I suspect that the PQP values for those flights will be under $50 each.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 12:25 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
This is a nice piece of work. and does a lot of the milecalc work on steroids
Old Sep 30, 2020, 10:27 am

QUESTION for you pros.
You'll recall about a month and a half ago i was trying to get from Gold to 1K status. Well i'm happy to let you know I'm now platinum, and about 2 PQFs and 2000 PQPs from 1K
I'm also "Star Alliance GOLD" for the first time in my life, which is awesome, as I've been getting into business lounges everywhere I go. Very neat.

My question is about flying on partner airlines. If I, for instance, book an Economy flight on Aegean or Lufthansa, do I get:
- Free checked bags? With United I now get 3x checked bags up to 70lbs each.
- Access to business lounges? As in, if i'm not flying on that airline, can I still get into their business lounge if i'm in the airport? With United Club i was able to get into it even though I was flying Delta, since I pay for the club membership. does it work that way with partner lounges? And can i bring a guest in, like I can with the United Club?

Or do i just earn PQP and PQF on partner airlines, and no other perks?

Thanks again
Old Sep 30, 2020, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QUESTION for you pros.
You'll recall about a month and a half ago i was trying to get from Gold to 1K status. Well i'm happy to let you know I'm now platinum, and about 2 PQFs and 2000 PQPs from 1K
I'm also "Star Alliance GOLD" for the first time in my life, which is awesome, as I've been getting into business lounges everywhere I go. Very neat.

My question is about flying on partner airlines. If I, for instance, book an Economy flight on Aegean or Lufthansa, do I get:
- Free checked bags? With United I now get 3x checked bags up to 70lbs each.
- Access to business lounges? As in, if i'm not flying on that airline, can I still get into their business lounge if i'm in the airport? With United Club i was able to get into it even though I was flying Delta, since I pay for the club membership. does it work that way with partner lounges? And can i bring a guest in, like I can with the United Club?

Or do i just earn PQP and PQF on partner airlines, and no other perks?

Thanks again
United bag policy does not carry over to check-in with other carriers. You must check with each airline on their Star Alliance Gold bag allowances (number and weight).
You can no longer enter a United Club using a ticket for an non-Star Alliance airline departing from that airport as a Club member or Star Alliance Gold. This new policy has been in place about a year now. Flying Delta? No access.
Most Star Alliance lounges are departure lounges, meaning you must be departing on a Star Alliance airline from that airport for access.
Guest privileges vary with airline - again, you have to check.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 30, 2020 at 10:47 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.