Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:16 pm

Maybe this view of the chart is a bit more useful for people figuring out what to do?

Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 18000ft
Maybe this view of the chart is a bit more useful for people figuring out what to do?

No - really need the specific fare classes annotated. For example, Z on LOT is deep discount and Z on Swiss is discount. Need to correlate specific fare class to a specific airlines multiplier. Your chart just shows range of multipliers within each cabin. If I am looking at a Z fare, I dont know where it goes on your chart, therefore I dont know what the multiplier is.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 19, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:37 pm

I must warn folks on this thread to keep their eyes peeled to the accruals. Several enhancements have been made over the past week. In particular, I thought I'd draw your attention to the contentious issue of Speciality Tickets on UA Metal. Effective January 1, 2020:

The big difference here is L,K,G fares only pull in 25% RDM (versus 50% before).

One question I thought I'd bring up here is whether the Premier Bonus one receives flying UA Speciality as an elite counts towards PQP (the bonus can be anywhere from 25% for Silvers to 100% for dime a dozen 1Ks)

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I must warn folks on this thread to keep their eyes peeled to the accruals. Several enhancements have been made over the past week. In particular, I thought I'd draw your attention to the contentious issue of Speciality Tickets on UA Metal. Effective January 1, 2020:

The big difference here is L,K,G fares only pull in 25% RDM (versus 50% before).

One question I thought I'd bring up here is whether the Premier Bonus one receives flying UA Speciality as an elite counts towards PQP (the bonus can be anywhere from 25% for Silvers to 100% for dime a dozen 1Ks)

Safe Travels,

James
Maybe I misunderstand the question, but what youre referencing has nothing to do with PQPs.

On UA metal in 2020, only money paid to UA counts towards PQPs

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 19, 2019 at 8:08 pm
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Maybe I misunderstand the question, but what youre referencing has nothing to do with PQPs.

On UA metal in 2020, only money paid to UA counts towards PQPs
My understanding is that bulk and specialty fares booked by some tour companies doesnt contain a PQP component and must be calculated by percent flown by fare class. Could someone with more knowledge clarify since the UA website makes it appear as clear as mud!

-James
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does not, just as the bonus for flying select partners doesnt count. And, honestly, your attempts at humo(u)r fall flat.

My understanding is that bulk and specialty fares booked by some tour companies doesnt contain a PQP component and must be calculated by percent flown by fare class. Could someone with more knowledge clarify since the UA website makes it appear as clear as mud!
You are correct. If you end up on a bulk ticket, you will earn redeemable miles, and hence PQP, based upon the chart you posted. In a world without PQM, there would be no other reason to have that particular chart in the first place.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: United
AC vs UA - 3 practical examples, does this look about right?

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
For me, it looks like AC TATL would be the way to go if decent P fares come up. But I'm still inclined to use up my GPUs next year and move on.
I thought I'd take a look at 3 practical examples to compare UA vs AC ticket stock. These are rough numbers and take into account very rough taxes for UA PQP vs RDM %'s.

I'm not 100% on this, so I'd be grateful for confirmation the principles below are correct and have been applied correctly?

Also, is it correct that RPU/GPU's can still be applied to a partner's ticket stock when flying on UA metal (and ANA/LH for GPU's)?

For comparison, I've assumed the prices between UA and AC are identical.

Example 1:
UA metal LAX LHR LAX W ticket cost $1,400 for both UA and AC

UA upgradable W fare = 1,100 PQP (after subtracting taxes).

AC upgradable W fare = 15% of 10,912 miles or 1,636 PQP ~50% more than UA.

Example 2:
SAS/UA metal ARN LHR LAX Z or P ticket cost $2,500 for both UA and AC

UA Z or P fare = 2,100 PQP (after subtracting luxury taxes)

AC Z or P fare = 4,364 PQP (40% of 10,912 miles), ~100% more than UA

Example 3:
UA metal LAX EWR LAX discount S ticket cost $500 for both UA and AC

UA S fare = 460 PQP (after subtracting taxes).

AC S fare = 10% of 4,908 miles or 491 PQP ~7% more.

Seems the big takeaway is discounted business/first wins big, and the super fare class table shown earlier becomes our new best friend.

Thanks in advance for the clarification
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: United Platinum, Frontier Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Regarding bulk tickets on 016 stock for UA flights...for about a week, my accruals for 2020 flights were showing a pqp and award miles based on that. But about two days ago, the pqp disappeared and the reward miles were reduced to what seems like 25% of mileage. So the new specialty ticket table has been implemented.

Last edited by pretzlaff; Oct 20, 2019 at 7:51 am
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Someone Should Also Devise a J-Class/PE Ranking Scheme For All Partners

I am not sure that I am willing to play this game yet because I've had some horrible experiences on partner metal.
For instance, I would never fly on CA again. I'd rather pay twice as much to go on another carrier. I have limited partner J-class experience though, so I don't have the knowledge to make recommendations across the brands.

Also, since I live in the lower latitudes, AC is probably a no-go because the feeder time into their hubs is longer but, at least I am willing to consider it based on reports that their J product is nice.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by westerndh
I thought I'd take a look at 3 practical examples to compare UA vs AC ticket stock. These are rough numbers and take into account very rough taxes for UA PQP vs RDM %'s.

I'm not 100% on this, so I'd be grateful for confirmation the principles below are correct and have been applied correctly?

Also, is it correct that RPU/GPU's can still be applied to a partner's ticket stock when flying on UA metal (and ANA/LH for GPU's)?

Example 1:
UA metal LAX LHR LAX W ticket cost $1,400 for both UA and AC

Example 2:
SAS/UA metal ARN LHR LAX Z or P ticket cost $2,500 for both UA and AC

Example 3:
UA metal LAX EWR LAX discount S ticket cost $500 for both UA and AC

UA S fare = 460 PQP (after subtracting taxes).

AC S fare = 10% of 4,908 miles or 491 PQP ~7% more.

Seems the big takeaway is discounted business/first wins big, and the super fare class table shown earlier becomes our new best friend.

Thanks in advance for the clarification
From the last example which is purely U.S. domestic. You earn the same amount of PQP no matter which ticket stock you use. Some of the other examples also seem like they use UA metal in which case it doesn't matter what stock you're using.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Example 1: ...
That's not quite right -- it still earns by metal like *A always has. You need to look up the chart for the operating carrier (metal) of each segment you fly. Ticket stock only matters in so far as it is either 016 or not 016. So to get your AC earning rates you need to fly AC metal on any ticket stock that is not 016.

UA metal earns by spend, even if on partner stock.

Yes, but as noted you earn by spend on UA metal regardless of stock. However you can absolutely fly LH or NH on their own stock and use a GPU to upgrade. You will earn PQP according to the originally booked fare class.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Also, since I live in the lower latitudes, AC is probably a no-go because the feeder time into their hubs is longer but, at least I am willing to consider it based on reports that their J product is nice.
AC P is definitely the best deal out there, to the point where I would be very surprised if it is not "enhanced away" in the next few months. There is significant risk of booking this for travel far in the future and getting stuck with a bait-and-switch. I honestly hesitated a little to post this thread since it provides a roadmap for UA to fix this, but surely they would have done it anyway (I hope...).

Originally Posted by jsloan
You are correct. If you end up on a bulk ticket, you will earn redeemable miles, and hence PQP, based upon the chart you posted. In a world without PQM, there would be no other reason to have that particular chart in the first place.
Do we have this in writing from UA anywhere? It's the obvious answer, but I couldn't find it.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
This information is transmitted from the ticketing carrier to United, and will be a somewhat arbitrary number between 0 and the full value of the fare component which includes that segment. (This is the same as earning PQD on such a segment today.)
Given our experience with PQD, I do not believe this will be the case with PQP. We've seen cases where the PQD associated with segments were in excess of the fare component plus entire YQ (and then on the same ticket where the PQD associated with the segments were less than the fare component alone).

Example 1:
UA metal LAX – LHR – LAX W ticket cost $1,400 for both UA and AC

Example 2:
SAS/UA metal ARN – LHR – LAX Z or P ticket cost $2,500 for both UA and AC

LAX-LHR-LAX in W and ARN-LHR-LAX in P are the exact same RDM? I don't think so.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by mduell
Given our experience with PQD, I do not believe this will be the case with PQP. We've seen cases where the PQD associated with segments were in excess of the fare component plus entire YQ (and then on the same ticket where the PQD associated with the segments were less than the fare component alone).
Are you talking about inconsistent PQD credit due to bad IT or something else?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Are you talking about inconsistent PQD credit due to bad IT or something else?
I'm talking about cases where the PQD all added up correctly to the fare components plus YQ, but the breakdown for given segments was not 0-100% of the fare component + 0-100% of the YQ.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by mduell
I'm talking about cases where the PQD all added up correctly to the fare components plus YQ, but the breakdown for given segments was not 0-100% of the fare component + 0-100% of the YQ.
I've noticed that too over the years, but this is likely an un-fixable problem, no? So, it'll add some unpredictable factors to the partner PQP scheme.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.