Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
United bag policy does not carry over to check-in with other carriers. You must check with each airline on their Star Alliance Gold bag allowances (number and weight).
You can no longer enter a United Club using a ticket for an non-Star Alliance airline departing from that airport as a Club member or Star Alliance Gold. This new policy has been in place about a year now. Flying Delta? No access.
Most Star Alliance lounges are departure lounges, meaning you must be departing on a Star Alliance airline from that airport for access.
Guest privileges vary with airline - again, you have to check.
Ah good to know - i hadn't tried the lounge when not flying on a partner in a year or two. Makes sense that it's not allowed now

Thanks for the info on baggage!
Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mysticalice
I'm also "Star Alliance GOLD" for the first time in my life, which is awesome, as I've been getting into business lounges everywhere I go. Very neat.

My question is about flying on partner airlines. If I, for instance, book an Economy flight on Aegean or Lufthansa, do I get:
- Free checked bags? With United I now get 3x checked bags up to 70lbs each.
As a UA *G you get one additional bag at the normal weight allowance (if not an Economy Light fare)
So for non-Economy Light LH in economy you would get 2x50

UA *G can access *A partner *G lounges and have 1 guest

Also as *G you will priority boarding and security
Old Nov 12, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I updated the PQP calculator to include option to add PQP bonus during Q1:

https://pqp.economiles.com/

*edit* PQP bonus doesn't apply to non-UA/UAX operated flights but will work on UA specialty tickets.

Last edited by kevflyer; Nov 13, 2020 at 5:11 pm
Old Nov 13, 2020, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by kevflyer
I updated the PQP calculator include option to add PQP sonus during Q1:

*edit* PQP bonus doesn't apply to non-UA/UAX operated flights but will work on UA specialty tickets.
First time seeing this, absolutely fantastic!
Thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: United Platinum, Frontier Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Looking at a United PQP mileage run on Air Canada for May.

FLL-YUL-YVR-NRT-YVR-YUL-FLL in PE for $806usd. The handy calculator says that this should get 3340 PQP if it all segments are credited with N fare 125% earning. The FLL/YUL legs say P fare but the text claims earnings will be at 125%. So maybe even better.

Question is about award miles. They seem 'too high'. Physical miles are 16,706, fare bonus of 125% makes them 20,884, then my Platinum status says there is a bonus of 75% for a total of 36,547. Is this correct?

Apparently 'later in 2021', Air Canada is going to a money spent model like United. This is part of the new Aeroplan implemented on 8Nov20. So, we will be losing this PQP option.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pretzlaff
FLL-YUL-YVR-NRT-YVR-YUL-FLL in PE for $806usd. The handy calculator says that this should get 3340 PQP if it all segments are credited with N fare 125% earning. The FLL/YUL legs say P fare but the text claims earnings will be at 125%. So maybe even better.
Assuming you're looking at the AC website, the text is irrelevant -- it applies to Aeroplan, not Mileage Plus. If one leg is in P, you will earn PQP for P on that leg.

Question is about award miles. They seem 'too high'. Physical miles are 16,706, fare bonus of 125% makes them 20,884, then my Platinum status says there is a bonus of 75% for a total of 36,547. Is this correct?
Not quite. The bonuses don't stack. You'll end up with a total of 200% physical distance: 125% for N class plus 75% for Platinum. (Except, again, if one leg is in P, that will earn at 200% + 75%).

Apparently 'later in 2021', Air Canada is going to a money spent model like United. This is part of the new Aeroplan implemented on 8Nov20. So, we will be losing this PQP option.
Not necessarily. The rules that Aeroplan sets for Air Canada travel are independent of the rules that MileagePlus sets. Lufthansa Miles & More is on a money-spent model, and the PQP-for-miles crediting works with Lufthansa group flights.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: United Platinum, Frontier Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Thanks. All very helpful. It is good to know that we can still do some interesting PQP runs.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K

Where'd you go to get the YVR flights? I don't see the YVR connection for outbound. Only 1 stop YUL.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:48 am

I messed around quite a bit and don't really remember how I found YVR on both legs. Initially, I came in from Google Flights to the AC site. That bypassed the normal AC search, which seemed to find different results. I did start looking on AC for a second flight and could no longer see any YVR routes for my new dates, so maybe the option got dropped.

edit: here is one friday to monday, so similar dates but a little more money, and YYZ on return:
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...gl=US&curr=USD

edit again: here is a much cleaner one the following week 9-12May. It allows for a clean overnight at YVR on the way out and YUL on the way back. Interestingly, AC has free or highly discounted hotel rooms for such layovers. I was offered the airport Holiday Inn in YVR for free: ..and indeed when I click thru to AC, I see this ready to buy at $806, but then when I backtrack on the AC site and try to find it in their search, it does not appear as an option.
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...gl=US&curr=USD

Last edited by pretzlaff; Nov 18, 2020 at 7:05 am
Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

I would strongly advise NOT to do any tickets on Air Canada unless you consider the ticket a throw-away if you can't go. May is too early given that Japan may-or-may-not open for tourists late April, but to expect to be there in May is a big long shot and Air Canada has the absolute worst and most punitive coronavirus change and refund policies of any international carrier.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I would strongly advise NOT to do any tickets on Air Canada unless you consider the ticket a throw-away if you can't go. May is too early given that Japan may-or-may-not open for tourists late April, but to expect to be there in May is a big long shot and Air Canada has the absolute worst and most punitive coronavirus change and refund policies of any international carrier.
I agree booking japan might be a little ballsy but otherwise if you are Ok with AC credit why not book if you get a wicked deal

You will not get a refund with AC on a non-refundable ticket, likely no matter what, but AC credit is useful if you are going to do a PQP run at some point anyways

I actually got a wicked deal on AC fully refundable latitude fares last week to LHR, maybe keep an eye out for those if you want refundability
Old Nov 25, 2020, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by whitethunder
I agree booking japan might be a little ballsy but otherwise if you are Ok with AC credit why not book if you get a wicked deal

You will not get a refund with AC on a non-refundable ticket, likely no matter what, but AC credit is useful if you are going to do a PQP run at some point anyways

I actually got a wicked deal on AC fully refundable latitude fares last week to LHR, maybe keep an eye out for those if you want refundability
Because aside from being non-refundable, AC has decided that any flight changes are subject to a new fare, even if the change is involuntary. So, let's say you found a 'screaming deal' and bought a P class ticket for 1800, but the flight is either canceled, the schedule becomes unworkable, or you cannot enter the destination - now you can either be stuck with a 1800 credit, or change your dates and rebook at the now current fare of 5000....or wait until you see another deal for 1800, which may or may not happen. This is in stark contrast to most other global airlines that offers a 1:1 exchange to move to new dates without any penalty or fare difference if the change is involuntary due to coronavirus. I am currently counseling a client to run a chargeback on their card and stiff AC for the ticket they are refusing to change without a dramatic fare difference, and we have sufficient grounds from the credit card's own guidelines as well as DOT regulations that govern refundability for tickets where the flight is not operating and no other option is available.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by kevflyer
I updated the PQP calculator to include option to add PQP bonus during Q1:

Perhaps there is some subtlety here I am missing. I have a ticket bought on Lufthansa through a third-party ticket agency that is booked into P, Deep Discount Business which earns at 100 percent on Lufthansa. The domestic and Transatlantic segments AUS-IAH-FRA and MUC-IAD-AUS are operated by United as Lufthansa code shares. When I put this information into the web calculator I get the following which is based on a 150% earning rate:

{Premier Status: Silver}

Is this correct?

Thanks!
Results
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP)
Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF)
Actual Flight Miles
Award / Redeemable Miles (RDM)

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jan 24, 2021 at 10:04 am Reason: Added Premier status
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
...The domestic and Transatlantic segments AUS-IAH-FRA and MUC-IAD-AUS are operated by United as Lufthansa code shares. When I put this information into the web calculator I get the following which is based on a 150% earning rate: ...
What matters for earning is the flight operator, not the flight marketer / codeshare.
UA operated flights with UA fare class of P, earn 150%. Being on a LH ticket or LH codeshare does not matter

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2021 at 2:29 pm Reason: brain freeze
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What matters for earning is the flight operator, not the flight marketer / codeshare.
UA operated flights with UA fare class of P, earn 150%. Being on a LH ticket or LH codeshare does not matter
Edit: User error, wrong code/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.