Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Jan 24, 2021, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What matters for earning is the flight operator, not the flight marketer / codeshare.
True.

UA operated flights with UA fare class of P, earn 150%. Being on a LH ticket or LH codeshare does not matter
Only if it's a bulk fare, which I don't see any reason to believe this is. Instead, the UA-operated segments will earn PQP (and award miles) based upon the proportion of the fare paid that is assigned to those legs. The distance and fare class multiplier will be ignored.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 2:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA operated flights with UA fare class of P, earn 150%. Being on a LH ticket or LH codeshare does not matter
Only if it's a bulk fare,.
Very correct, getting rusty with 11 months of being grounded
Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:26 pm

True.

Only if it's a bulk fare, which I don't see any reason to believe this is. Instead, the UA-operated segments will earn PQP (and award miles) based upon the proportion of the fare paid that is assigned to those legs. The distance and fare class multiplier will be ignored.
So the calculator is incorrect in my case? Or, I guess, it is calculating based on if it was a bulk purchase?

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jan 24, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
So the calculator is incorrect in my case? Or, I guess, it is calculating based on if it was a bulk purchase?
Hopefully I don't mess up again

Did you enter as a UA flight or LH flight?

The calculator assumes any UA flight entered is specialty flight and does not use the standard UA PQP rules
"Tool for UA Premier Qualifying and Award Miles Calculation for non UA-issued & UA specialty tickets"

Non-specialty UA flights don't need a calculator as UA tells you what the PQPs will be (unless you are getting a bonus, like the first three UA trips receive)
MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very correct, getting rusty with 11 months of being grounded
No worries. I did something similar on another question recently, for the same reason. We're all getting out of practice..

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Right. If you view the reservation on United.com, you will probably be able to see the PQP assigned to those segments.

Hopefully I don't mess up again
Non-specialty UA flights don't need a calculator as UA tells you what the PQPs will be (unless you are getting a bonus, like the first three UA trips receive)
MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus
Nope, all good this time.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 5:03 pm

No worries. I did something similar on another question recently, for the same reason. We're all getting out of practice..

Right. If you view the reservation on United.com, you will probably be able to see the PQP assigned to those segments.

Nope, all good this time.

Really appreciate all the help--I was able to switch my flights around and take Air Canada and I'll have enough PQP for Gold now instead of being a couple of thousand short!

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jan 29, 2021 at 10:08 pm Reason: Update
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Lufthansa light fares to MP

Hello experts,

I was wondering if anybody can help me understand the impact of buying economy lights fares on LH and crediting to United.

Example:
LH flight 6000 miles W fare

Award miles gained in MP: 4500
Qualifying miles gained in MP: 4500/5=900 but maximum 750 per flight => final 750 PQP.

Am I correct?

Final conclusion: this year the flight prices are so high that buying a regular economy fare is much much more expensive then buying a light fare and adding the neccesary checked luggage. The difference is huge. Study case for MEX FRA flights.
Good vere the old days...

Thank you
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Example:
LH flight 6000 miles W fare

Award miles gained in MP: 4500
Qualifying miles gained in MP: 4500/5=900 but maximum 750 per flight => final 750 PQP.

Am I correct?
Yes.

Light vs. regular fares do not make any difference for earning under the PQP scheme.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Yes.

Light vs. regular fares do not make any difference for earning under the PQP scheme.
Thank you very much for making the sky clearer for me. That makes me think even more that a light fare and an additional charge for luggage is the best option!
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:30 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by SCtime
Does anyone have experience with with successful 'higher' PQP earnings on MP for partner ticketed & operated flights in July or August 2020? I have a couple of flights for Q4/Q1 '21 booked prior to 29 April which were booked on & operated by partners and seem likely to fly though I may have covid waiver options. With the generally exceptionally challenging experiences I've had with UA and it's partners this year so far, I'm looking for data to make the best decision possible. Thanks in advance.
Seems like I have a similar question as this commenter.

Has anyone booked a flight before the PQP-cap, then flown it after the PQP-cap? And presumably went through the gauntlet of emailing documentation to MP? Did you receive your due PQP?

Last edited by futuramadramallama; Mar 14, 2021 at 12:32 am Reason: Clarity
Old Mar 17, 2021, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[MENTION=862902]kevflyer[/MENTION] I think there's an issue with the RDM section of your calculator. It looks like you're multiplying the fare class bonus by the Premier bonus, but IME they're actually additive. For example, a UA Gold member flying YUL-TLV in AC N (5482 miles) should earn 5482 * 1.75 = 9593 redeemable miles (25% fare class bonus plus 50% Gold bonus), but the calculator produces 10,280.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 17, 2021 at 2:41 pm Reason: repaired@Mention
Old Mar 17, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
[MENTION=862902]kevflyer[/MENTION] I think there's an issue with the RDM section of your calculator. It looks like you're multiplying the fare class bonus by the Premier bonus, but IME they're actually additive. For example, a UA Gold member flying YUL-TLV in AC N (5482 miles) should earn 5482 * 1.75 = 9593 redeemable miles (25% fare class bonus plus 50% Gold bonus), but the calculator produces 10,280.
Thanks you're right - I missed this part previously:
Premier bonus award miles for the following tickets and flights, with some exclusions, are based on a member's Premier status, as shown in the table below, and base award miles earned.
Calculator updated!
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: United, Delta, American
I'm thinking of doing a 'P' run (?) in December, and I want to make sure I understand the math correctly.

Looking to book ANA. ORD-NRT-TPE in Economy Special (S class) for just over $1,000.
Mileage from ORD-NRT is 6294 miles. S class earnings drop it by 50%, so actual award miles would be 3,147. Divide by 5 to get 629.
Mileage from NRT-TPE is 1307. Take off 50% for 653. Divide by 5 to get 130.
So for a round trip, I'd be looking at 1518 PQPs. Do I have the math right, or am I missing something? Seems like great earnings on a $1,000 S fare.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JWskiman
I'm thinking of doing a 'P' run (?) in December, and I want to make sure I understand the math correctly.

Looking to book ANA. ORD-NRT-TPE in Economy Special (S class) for just over $1,000.
Mileage from ORD-NRT is 6294 miles. S class earnings drop it by 50%, so actual award miles would be 3,147. Divide by 5 to get 629.
Mileage from NRT-TPE is 1307. Take off 50% for 653. Divide by 5 to get 130.
So for a round trip, I'd be looking at 1518 PQPs. Do I have the math right, or am I missing something? Seems like great earnings on a $1,000 S fare.
I'm seeing slightly different mileages, but the gist of your answer is correct: https://pqp.economiles.com/?q=ORD,NR...S|NRT,ORD,NH,S

How many PQP will you need? Deep discount PE (N class) will get you just over 2K PQP, and discount business (P class) about 3800.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: United, Delta, American
1,500 should do it. Thanks for the suggestions and link!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.