Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
My wife has 100k+ miles in her MP acct, but given she has no status nor holds a Chase MP card of any sort, availability for utilizing the miles for anything but economy seems rare (looking for F on ORD-LAS (one way or RT). When I look at her account to transfer the miles to my account (Premier Silver) it appears that the charge for transferring the miles amounts to $0.015/mi plus $30/transaction. I could live the transaction fee, but the 1.5cent/mil seems outrageous. Am I interpreting the language correctly on cost to transfer the miles? Any other work arounds to get the points into my account.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Brostman
.... it appears that the charge for transferring the miles amounts to $0.015/mi plus $30/transaction. I could live the transaction fee, but the 1.5cent/mil seems outrageous. Am I interpreting the language correctly on cost to transfer the miles? ...
That's correct -- however, occasionally there are discounts offered

....Any other work arounds to get the points into my account.
No but you can usually buy miles for 2.x cents per miles.

If you have the miles, it may be better to use your now and use hers when space exists or a discount for transfer is offered
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That's correct -- however, occasionally there are discounts offered

No but you can usually buy miles for 2.x cents per miles.

If you have the miles, it may be better to use your now and use hers when space exists or a discount for transfer is offered
Thank you for your feedback. I don't think I'd ever buy miles... even when they offer you a 100% bonus, the price is 1.75cents/mile, and it appears that they are pricing Everyday Awards (which seem to be the only way to get J on Int'l or F on domestic) such that they only give you value of something just under 1 cent/mile.

I am thinking what I need to do is get my wife a qualifying Chase MP card that will give her access to award tickets other than economy flights..... or use her miles to fly family on awards since they don't expect to fly F.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thank you for your feedback. I don't think I'd ever buy miles... even when they offer you a 100% bonus, the price is 1.75cents/mile, ... .
The point was, buying new / additional miles at 1.75 to 2 cpm is a better deal (IMO) than paying 1.5+ cpm to move miles.

Spending $95 annual for an Explorer card will get you XN (expanded economy saver) access but it will not improve access to higher cabin award.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 10:03 pm

The point was, buying new / additional miles at 1.75 to 2 cpm is a better deal (IMO) than paying 1.5+ cpm to move miles.
Sorry, I missed your point. But I do think you premise makes sense if I were able to use the points in my wife's account for some other purpose than flying a premium class. But if points will otherwise just sit there, than paying 1.53 cpm (the extra .03 cpm mile is the effective cost of the per transaction fee for transferring 100k miles (only pertinent to my case) would still be cheaper than paying 1.75 cpm ( assumes purchasing with 100% bonus) for purchasing the extra miles into my account. I guess my point was that if the value you receive by redeeming miles on an Everyday Award redemption (vs Saver Award) equates to a value less than 1 cpm, it would still be more economical to purchase the flight as a revenue ticket. But if that is what I always did, I would accumulate miles and never find a good way to utilize them.

Spending $95 annual for an Explorer card will get you XN (expanded economy saver) access but it will not improve access to higher cabin award.
I do think that the Explorer card will give you access to premium cabin awards, but you will be limited to Everyday Awards in the premium classes and no availability for Saver Awards in those premium classes. A significant devaluation of your points for sure, but at least you have some access to the premium classes.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 3, 2021 at 10:14 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Apr 3, 2021, 10:27 pm

.... I do think that the Explorer card will give you access to premium cabin awards, but you will be limited to Everyday Awards in the premium classes and no availability for Saver Awards in those premium classes. A significant devaluation of your points for sure, but at least you have some access to the premium classes.
Yes and No. Everyone has access to Business Everyday Awards (ZN) if Z inventory exists. Business Everyday Awards (JN) for elites or CC cardholders. does not require Z inventory. Business Saver Award (IN) is not available to CC cardholders, just Plat or higher elites.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:43 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Quick question. Does United still operates a 2-4-2 business class product in any of their aircrafts?

Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2021, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ermis177
Quick question. Does United still operates a 2-4-2 business class product in any of their aircrafts?

Thanks
Yes, they are still in the active fleet, but currently not operating due to UA328.
ermis177 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
PP waitlist

If I sponsor a PP upgrade for a friend who’s traveling without me, is the WL priority based on my (sponsor’s) status level or the recipient’s? Does it change at T-24 or at the airport?
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
If I sponsor a PP upgrade for a friend who’s traveling without me, is the WL priority based on my (sponsor’s) status level or the recipient’s? Does it change at T-24 or at the airport?
The recipient's, except that all Global Services instruments are prioritized ahead of all non-GS instruments. It does not change at T-24 or at the airport.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post but I didn't see anything else suitable. Reviewing UA pre flight info and have two questions:
1. Do I need to download the UA app on my device to see a film during the flight? Some other app?
2. Revised boarding protocol (back to front bording) -- does this mean F/J boards last or, does UA still have priority boarding for front cabin, *A gold etc.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post but I didn't see anything else suitable. Reviewing UA pre flight info and have two questions:
1. Do I need to download the UA app on my device to see a film during the flight? Some other app? ...
Yes you need to load the UA app on your device to view the free entertainment
Note lie-flat and Premium Plus {premium economy} cabins and many of the economy cabins of those planes have video screens and app is not need.
Watch inflight movies/TV on your personal device (PDE) - Experiences, discussion,...

Originally Posted by Bartolo
2. Revised boarding protocol (back to front bording) -- does this mean F/J boards last or, does UA still have priority boarding for front cabin, *A gold etc. ...
It is presently back to front but F can board anytime after pre-boarders
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [changes for the COVID era]

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 2021 at 6:53 pm Reason: expanded the list of seats with seatback video
Old Apr 4, 2021, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Yes you need to load the UA app on your device to view the free entertainment
Note lie-flat and Premium Plus {premium economy -- not Economy Plus} cabins have video screens and app is not need.
Watch inflight movies/TV on your personal device (PDE) - Experiences, discussion,...
Main cabin of said lie-flat/Premium Plus planes have seatback video screens as well

I would download the latest version of the UA app anyway. You just never know.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Main cabin of said lie-flat/Premium Plus planes have seatback video screens as well ...
True, most do, should have mentioned that, stopped too soon -- but not all, such as the presently grounded 777HD
Have updated the earlier post

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 2021 at 6:53 pm
Old Apr 5, 2021, 5:43 am

Haven't flown much recently, so downloaded the United app for an upcomming trip (not till July) to my phone. I can open it no problem. But when I want to log in with my Mileage Plus account, or when I go in as a guest and then try to pull up my booking with PNR and last name, I get the error "device has no connectivity". I tried un-installing and re-installing the app. same issue.
I am on a strong wifi signal at home and can connect to other apps without issues. I do have an old Android phone (Galaxy S6), but it does run Android 7 which the app says works on it. Any ideas on how to make it work, or do I just need a new phone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.