Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by serpens
Is https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...locations.html the best place to check for updates on lounge status? Where would I look to see departure and arrival terminals for a flight? I recognize things can change, but am I correct that a change of terminal is unlikely?
I found this. Looks like it’s in terminal 2, outside security. Yes, it’s closed as was mentioned previously. Not sure how often this site is updated.
https://www.loungebuddy.com/LHR/unit...l-2-yB2ZVhoEuu
Old May 6, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: UAMP
Flying SMF-CDG O/W early next year. Current business saver award shows mixed cabin SMF-DEN-FRA-CDG. The first and last legs are E and DEN-FRA in Polaris. The last leg is LH metal. We have avoided FRA when possible. It's been a construction maze in the past and immigration screening was a chore compared to MUN. Two questions: (1) Will we be able to board LH with carry-ons or be able to gate check them? (2) Can we upgrade to J on LH as we get closer? (I know it's just a blocked center seat but there's also extra legroom for long-legged me). Thanks for your help.
Old May 6, 2021, 2:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by greytop13
....Two questions: (1) Will we be able to board LH with carry-ons or be able to gate check them? ...
LH carry on is more restriction than UA, your carry on is restricted to
55cm x 40cm x 23cm / 22in x 16in x 9in (length x width x height)
Maximum Weight of Carry-on Luggage: 8 Kg/18 lb.
The weight can be an issue.
On a transfer, you can probably get away with UA higher weight limit but LH gate agents can balk if they think you are too far overweight -- LH is a very rules based airline. I have been OK multiple times. But got challenged at LH check-in at least once -- had to do some repacking.
....(2) Can we upgrade to J on LH as we get closer? (I know it's just a blocked center seat but there's also extra legroom for long-legged me). Thanks for your help.
It is difficult to change a partner segment's award booking class -- it essentially means rebooking the ticket -- space available
LH sometimes does cash upgrades, you need to check the Lufthansa forum if an UA award ticket qualifies.
greytop13 likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 4:48 pm

Thanks, WineCountry. You're right, the carry-on size isn't a problem but the weight definitely would be. Is there a way to have my carry-on available for the TALT portion of the flight and check it for the LH portion but stay airside? That's why I was asking about gate checking it.
Old May 8, 2021, 3:36 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Hi everyone--

I'm a complete noob to miles, so apologies in advance if these questions are a bit simplistic. I recently opened a CSR card that transfers UR points at a 1:1 rate (at least, that's my understanding). I have a massive point dump coming in a couple weeks. I have an existing reservation with Turkish Airlines in H class that goes from JFK to IST. As I understand it, I can qualify for an upgrade through United. On this flight, what is the upgrade (which class will I be bumped up to) and what is the usual amount of points required from the upgrade? Finally, the points that I earn on flights with Turkish--can they also be used for the Mileage Plus program if I'm already in TA's frequent flier program?

Thanks so much for any help!
Old May 8, 2021, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by northinsouth
Hi everyone--

I'm a complete noob to miles, so apologies in advance if these questions are a bit simplistic. I recently opened a CSR card that transfers UR points at a 1:1 rate (at least, that's my understanding). I have a massive point dump coming in a couple weeks. I have an existing reservation with Turkish Airlines in H class that goes from JFK to IST. As I understand it, I can qualify for an upgrade through United. On this flight, what is the upgrade (which class will I be bumped up to) and what is the usual amount of points required from the upgrade? Finally, the points that I earn on flights with Turkish--can they also be used for the Mileage Plus program if I'm already in TA's frequent flier program?

Thanks so much for any help!
You would be upgraded to Business. TK only operates Economy and Business cabins.

It looks like the price would be 30k miles:
https://www.united.com/en/us/upgrade-awards
(be sure you tick "Star Alliance operated")

If you see award availability for your flight, then you can be sure the upgrade should clear. That's not a necessary condition, though. Note the hazard if you don't clear, you will wind up with 30k UA miles you didn't plan to have otherwise.

I'm not sure about the meaning of your question, "can they also be used for the Mileage Plus program if I'm already in TA's frequent flier program?" but maybe this is an answer—
If you put a UA MileagePlus number on your reservation, you will earn some PQP and award miles with MileagePlus. If you credit to TK Miles&Smiles you will earn miles there. There isn't a way to transfer between programs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by fumje
... but maybe this is an answer—If you put a UA MileagePlus number on your reservation, you will earn some PQP and award miles with MileagePlus. If you credit to TK Miles&Smiles you will earn miles there. There isn't a way to transfer between programs.
Exactly my question and you definitely answered it (along with the other ones). Thanks so much for the time.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by northinsouth
Exactly my question and you definitely answered it (along with the other ones). Thanks so much for the time.
Here is a thread with information about earning PQP on partner tickets, if you want to credit to UA:
Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

You can take a look at the wiki for a comprehensive explanation.

Good luck with the upgrade.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
What are the best window seats in Business with most privacy for solo traveling (787-9; 2-2-2)? Or should I switch my flight to Boeing 787-8 and take a solo seat? If 787-9 is more comfortable, I'd definitely choose that over privacy.

Last edited by jimaras08; May 8, 2021 at 11:23 am
Old May 8, 2021, 5:24 pm

I was a little confused with the two boarding lines.

Im in group 2. I got t the gate, and group 3 was boarding and it was a zoo. The monitors seemed to suggest that groups 1-2 are to use line 1, and group 3 was to use line 2. I walked through line 1 and was told to join the mega line.

No problem, just wondering if the gate agent was wrong or if I misunderstood the graphic
Old May 8, 2021, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
No problem, just wondering if the gate agent was wrong or if I misunderstood the graphic
The gate agent is never wrong. i.e., they can make your life hell if you cross them.

You were entitled to use line 1, but if the gate agent wants everyone in line 2, it's not worth fighting over.
jamesinclair and greytop13 like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 10:21 am

Award flight 2 PAX in Polaris to FRA. We have our choice of 787-9 out of DEN or 777-300 out of SFO. I have flown the 787-9. Is 777 better, worse, or a push?
Old May 9, 2021, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I was a little confused with the two boarding lines.

Im in group 2. I got t the gate, and group 3 was boarding and it was a zoo. The monitors seemed to suggest that groups 1-2 are to use line 1, and group 3 was to use line 2. I walked through line 1 and was told to join the mega line.

Did you tell the GA you had group 2 boarding?

What you did is the stated boarding procedure, but of course if the GA said otherwise you can't really argue.

Award flight 2 PAX in Polaris to FRA. We have our choice of 787-9 out of DEN or 777-300 out of SFO. I have flown the 787-9. Is 777 better, worse, or a push?
The biggest difference would be the new seats on 773 or a chance of the old seats on 789. But if it's going to be same seat type, then I prefer 789 due to the cabin pressure and noise reduction. Others prefer 773 due to slightly wider seats.

You can collect way too much detail in these threads:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-787-9-a.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...p-version.html
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER
greytop13 likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 11:19 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
But if it's going to be same seat type, then I prefer 789 due to the cabin pressure and noise reduction.
I may be an outlier, but really could not feel the difference with the cabin pressure, and supposedly being less tired on arrival.

The noise, OTOH, yes, the DreamLiner is noticeably quieter
greytop13 likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
I may be an outlier, but really could not feel the difference with the cabin pressure, and supposedly being less tired on arrival.

The noise, OTOH, yes, the DreamLiner is noticeably quieter
I know others say it makes no difference to them, so the classic "YMMV" definitely applies.

But for me the pressure does make a difference. It was most obvious once when I had to fly while recovering from a head cold, so I was quite congested and very uncomfortable transitioning altitudes. I connected from 777 to 787, and I noticed it was much less difficult with the 787. Maybe some placebo effect could have influenced my perception, but I had actually not really thought about which aircraft I was on until I noticed I felt differently. Without head congestion, I find the main benefit is that I come off a 787 feeling less dehydrated.
greytop13 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.