Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2021, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mauld
Question regarding using Points Plus to upgrade from economy to Biz on flights from EWR to Europe (using UA metal). I have 80 PP and saw that in the past I’d need at least a K fare to upgrade r/t. Looking at the UA site, they now show ALL economy fares (Basic Economy, Economy & Fully Refundable Economy ) are listed as ‘K’ , obviously with vastly different prices. Now I know BE isn’t eligible, but how can I choose the correct fare to then request an upgrade?
Basic economy tickets and (regular) economy tickets are displayed under separate columns on UA's website. Choose anyone not under the heading of "Basic Economy (most restrictive)".
Old May 11, 2021, 2:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Question regarding using Points Plus to upgrade from economy to Biz on flights from EWR to Europe (using UA metal). I have 80 PP and saw that in the past I’d need at least a K fare to upgrade r/t. Looking at the UA site, they now show ALL economy fares (Basic Economy, Economy & Fully Refundable Economy ) are listed as ‘K’ , obviously with vastly different prices. Now I know BE isn’t eligible, but how can I choose the correct fare to then request an upgrade?
Original it was "W" and higher, last year it went to all non-BE paid fares (including K, a discount economy fare -- fare class order is F, J, A, C, D, Z, P, Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N)

K fare class can be Basic Economy (-LGT), Economy & Fully Refundable Economy at different price points. UA does offer deep discount economy refundable fare -- at a price premium. All published non-BE K fares / all non-BE paid fares are upgradeable. The refundable fare does not increase the upgrade priority, even though it is more expensive.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In order to upgrade roundtrip, you'll need to search by fare class (in advanced search) and look for a W fare (or, to be inclusive, Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W. Or, you'll need to buy a Premium Economy fare (which may be cheaper than a W fare). That's because the deep discount fares, including K, require 80 PlusPoints in each direction. W and above are only 40 in each direction (and Premium Economy is 30 in each direction).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Original it was "W" and higher, last year it went to all non-BE paid fares (including K, a discount economy fare -- fare class order is F, J, A, C, D, Z, P, Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N).
This is the pre-PE list (and J/A are swapped). . It should be J, C, D, Z, P, O, A, R, Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
... This is the pre-PE list (and J/A are swapped). . It should be J, C, D, Z, P, O, A, R, Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N.
Pulled a old list form a wiki, I updated the wiki
jsloan likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 5:07 am

Cancel award ticket

I’m a 1k and my wife has no status.

I understand that it is possible to change international award ticket to 30+ days out then cancel/redeposit miles for no fee.

The rules about 1k members being able to redeposit for free for international trips within 30 days is a bit confusing. Is this based on the account that the ticket was redeemed? Or is this based on the account of the member who is flying?

Thanks
Old May 12, 2021, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsy9999
I’m a 1k and my wife has no status.

I understand that it is possible to change international award ticket to 30+ days out then cancel/redeposit miles for no fee.

The rules about 1k members being able to redeposit for free for international trips within 30 days is a bit confusing. Is this based on the account that the ticket was redeemed? Or is this based on the account of the member who is flying?

Thanks
The account where the ticket was redeemed. The traveler's status is not relevant.
Old May 16, 2021, 3:34 am

Hi All,

Wife and I need to fly united however we have no status. Father is either Premier Plat or Premier 1k (Can't remember which). Are there any benefits we could inherit from him via an award/cash booking using his account? (He won't be flying).

Thanks!
Old May 16, 2021, 10:14 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Jh1978

Wife and I need to fly united however we have no status. Father is either Premier Plat or Premier 1k (Can't remember which). Are there any benefits we could inherit from him via an award/cash booking using his account? (He won't be flying).
ZERO benefit from a ca$h booking. i.e. you cannot attach his number to your booking, so in fact non existent.
Old May 16, 2021, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
ZERO benefit from a ca$h booking. i.e. you cannot attach his number to your booking, so in fact non existent.
And the only benefit from an award booking that would carry over is that the redeposit fee would be waived if cancellation were necessary.
SPN Lifer and Guate87 like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Jh1978
Hi All,

Thanks!
Essentially none
There had been some for award ticket but it was removed in 2015 2015 MileagePlus Change-No more inherited benefits from higher status accounts
About the only benefit would a easier/cheaper redeposit of miles near departure but that can be done for free with a little work for anyone.
Old May 17, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Flying MEX-ORD on United metal, in United Business, and haven't flown internationally since pre-pandemic. I am UA 1K (and also have Global Entry, Amex platinum, and priority pass if it matters, but don't think it does). I have checked luggage with too much liquid to get through security.

I am hoping to double check the following is correct:
  • There are no lounges I can access after deplaning but before customs
  • There are no lounges I can access after customs
  • After customs I can re-enter the airside with my sameday MEX-ORD boarding pass at TSA discretion (50% odds?)
  • There's nowhere to store my luggage landside
  • There is no United Club open in ORD Terminal 5
  • If I want to access a lounge, my only option is Star Alliance
  • If I can get through security, any of the Star Alliance lounges will definitely let me in.
Really hoping to get a snack (and ideally shower) in after landing if possible but seems impossible, unless there's some way I can go to a lounge, then come back for my checked bag?

Any suggestions?
Old May 17, 2021, 5:30 pm

Your non-ORD departure BP will not get you thru TSA (and neither will your luggage)
Your lack of a ORD departure flight will make you ineligible for *A lounge access
The *A lounges in T5 -- SAS & LX are closed
There is no ORD on-airport luggage storage
There are street side / presecurity places for food
Depending where you need to get to, a day room at a local airport hotel is your best bet

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 17, 2021 at 5:39 pm Reason: links
Old May 18, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
How can there be only B fares available (same price for both economy and fully refundable economy) when available fare classes are showing 9s across the board?

Search parameter: LAX-SAN one-way, late June/early July:

Basic Economy: $69
Economy: $660 or higher
Economy (fully refundable): $660 or higher
First: $193
Old May 18, 2021, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
How can there be only B fares available (same price for both economy and fully refundable economy) when available fare classes are showing 9s across the board?

Search parameter: LAX-SAN one-way, late June/early July:

Basic Economy: $69
Economy: $660 or higher
Economy (fully refundable): $660 or higher
First: $193
Somebody fat-fingered a fare update, maybe? It appears to have been corrected -- I'm not seeing fares like that.
Old May 18, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Somebody fat-fingered a fare update, maybe? It appears to have been corrected -- I'm not seeing fares like that.
Indeed. Looks like they have been corrected.

Non-BE main cabin fares are now at priced more reasonable at $109, instead of more than six times previously.

Thanks for the feedback.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.