FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]
Old May 11, 2021, 2:33 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mauld
Question regarding using Points Plus to upgrade from economy to Biz on flights from EWR to Europe (using UA metal). I have 80 PP and saw that in the past I’d need at least a K fare to upgrade r/t. Looking at the UA site, they now show ALL economy fares (Basic Economy, Economy & Fully Refundable Economy ) are listed as ‘K’ , obviously with vastly different prices. Now I know BE isn’t eligible, but how can I choose the correct fare to then request an upgrade?
In order to upgrade roundtrip, you'll need to search by fare class (in advanced search) and look for a W fare (or, to be inclusive, Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W. Or, you'll need to buy a Premium Economy fare (which may be cheaper than a W fare). That's because the deep discount fares, including K, require 80 PlusPoints in each direction. W and above are only 40 in each direction (and Premium Economy is 30 in each direction).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Original it was "W" and higher, last year it went to all non-BE paid fares (including K, a discount economy fare -- fare class order is F, J, A, C, D, Z, P, Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N).
This is the pre-PE list (and J/A are swapped). . It should be J, C, D, Z, P, O, A, R, Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N.