Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA skipped providing membership materials for 2021 (in the past they went out in January)
No UA MP elite physical membership materials / kits for 2021
Is this permanent?
Referencing the thread, UA used the word "suspended" , we will need to see want happens in Jan 2022
lsquare and Guate87 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

new Polaris and old Polaris?

I'm looking at an award flight from Chicago to London in mid-August (there appears to be plenty of availability), and I seem to have a choice between 787-9 and 767-300. As I understand the "Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ...." thread, the 787-9 is old Polaris and the 767-300 is new Polaris, but I don't understand the significance. The 787-9 does offer side-by-side seating, which my companion and I would appreciate, but it's not a big deal. Given our slight preference for side-by-side seating but a stronger preference for comfort and at least some hours of sleep, which would you recommend? In either case, which row would you recommend?

The 787-9 arrives at LHR earlier, which I would tend to think is better, but please tell me why I'm mistaken. I'm assuming we would have access to an arrivals lounge, where we would freshen and wait until the tube fare drops to off-peak. (I think that's 0900; can someone confirm or deny that?)

Neither of us has any status (the points came from a non-United credit card), but I understand that we would have access to United lounges at ORD. Would someone confirm or deny that?

Thank you for helping this infrequent flyer, who hopes the COVID situation allows this trip.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by serpens
I'm looking at an award flight from Chicago to London in mid-August (there appears to be plenty of availability), and I seem to have a choice between 787-9 and 767-300. As I understand the "Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ...." thread, the 787-9 is old Polaris and the 767-300 is new Polaris, but I don't understand the significance. The 787-9 does offer side-by-side seating, which my companion and I would appreciate, but it's not a big deal. Given our slight preference for side-by-side seating but a stronger preference for comfort and at least some hours of sleep, which would you recommend? In either case, which row would you recommend? ...
the older 789 seating is better for couples but 40% of the 789s have been converted and many hope conversion resume soon.

Polaris seats are all aisle access -- both are fine for sleeping, some prefer one or the other. For polaris seats, most prefer odd rows.

For more on best seats, see these links
787-9
787-9 - Polaris seat + PP
767-300 -- Polaris seat
763 High J (46/22/43/56) Polaris+PP

The 787-9 arrives at LHR earlier, which I would tend to think is better, but please tell me why I'm mistaken. I'm assuming we would have access to an arrivals lounge, where we would freshen and wait until the tube fare drops to off-peak. (I think that's 0900; can someone confirm or deny that?) ... .....
Personally I prefer later arrivals, easier to deal with the jet lag (have to stay awake less), no issues about too early checking-in at hotel, .... and not sure you should count on the arrivals lounge being open
Guate87 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: Platinum
I have a trip in June with family of 4, PDX-SFO-HNL and back via HNL-DEN-PDX. The most recent change gave me 1 hour layover between the outbound PDX-SFO segment which I feel is a little tight given the recent runway work at SFO so I'm trying to look at options. United.com gives me a message saying I am eligible for a onetime schedule change, but when I tried to look for other options the website (and app) says there are no options. Is this a website/app issue? Do I need to call CS for options? TIA
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by frankmu
I have a trip in June with family of 4, PDX-SFO-HNL and back via HNL-DEN-PDX. The most recent change gave me 1 hour layover between the outbound PDX-SFO segment which I feel is a little tight given the recent runway work at SFO so I'm trying to look at options. United.com gives me a message saying I am eligible for a onetime schedule change, but when I tried to look for other options the website (and app) says there are no options. Is this a website/app issue? Do I need to call CS for options? ...
Yes and Yes

There may be no better options but the online systems can be incomplete
Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..

Note the SFO delays, if any, are only expected in the earlier evening
frankmu likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 12:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

For more on best seats, see these links
[...]
Personally I prefer later arrivals, easier to deal with the jet lag (have to stay awake less), no issues about too early checking-in at hotel, .... and not sure you should count on the arrivals lounge being open
Thank you for the links and the perspective. That's a good point about needing to stay awake less before going to bed at a normal (local) hour. While I hope the arrivals lounge is open, I really hope we can make the trip.

Is https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...locations.html the best place to check for updates on lounge status? Where would I look to see departure and arrival terminals for a flight? I recognize things can change, but am I correct that a change of terminal is unlikely?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 1:51 pm

Thank you for the links and the perspective. That's a good point about needing to stay awake less before going to bed at a normal (local) hour. While I hope the arrivals lounge is open, I really hope we can make the trip.

Is https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...locations.html the best place to check for updates on lounge status? ...
I can not find any mention of the LHR UA arrivals lounge anywhere on united.com (just a note on the LHR United Club), even mentioning it is closed. Third parties sites confirm the LHR UA Arrivals is closed . Not sure where to suggest other than come back here

Where would I look to see departure and arrival terminals for a flight? I recognize things can change, but am I correct that a change of terminal is unlikely?
You can only check a recent flight and assumed it will be similar in the future. UA uses more than one concourse (same terminal) at many airports -- such as ORD. At LHR it will be safe to assume terminal T2B

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 2, 2021 at 5:06 pm
Old Apr 28, 2021, 1:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

You can only check a recent flight and assumed it will be similar in the future.
Good tip. Thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:17 am

Me (Plat) and Wife (Silver) are in the middle of a trip. We were both upgraded to F on the outbound, which resulted in the reservation being split.

When I log into the UA app, I can see our separate reservations for the inbound leg. I can see open F seats on the seat map and can pay to upgrade if I wanted. She sees no open F seats and cannot pay to upgrade.

If I get upgraded on the inbound leg, will she get upgraded with me? or are we now each on our own due to the split res?

Edit- I checked the Flight Status and see that we are both on the Upgrade list together. So is it true that even though our res was split, she retains Upgrade priority per my Plat status? But it's possible I get upgraded and she doesn't?

Last edited by FlyingHighlander; Apr 29, 2021 at 12:27 am
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Edit- I checked the Flight Status and see that we are both on the Upgrade list together. So is it true that even though our res was split, she retains Upgrade priority per my Plat status? ...
Reports for the past year have suggestion UA has implemented that. Addressed the complaint the split PNRs did not maintain companion's status from the elite.

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
...But it's possible I get upgraded and she doesn't?
Yes -- inherent with separate PNRs
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:53 am

Thanks for clarifying. I guess its all bit academic - 37 people on the Upgrade list and we are 11 and 12!
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:00 am

I booked a flight A-B-C on W class. I applied the Pluspoints and got an upgrade for B-C. Now I'd like to decouple: A-B on one date and B-C on a separate date. If I do that through Flight Changes, I miss the upgrade and the fare is very different. Any other options? Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by absdotan99
I booked a flight A-B-C on W class. I applied the Pluspoints and got an upgrade for B-C. Now I'd like to decouple: A-B on one date and B-C on a separate date. If I do that through Flight Changes, I miss the upgrade and the fare is very different. Any other options? Thanks
The fare may be different as you may have added a stop but it is also best to do changes with an agent as the rebooking tool is flaky

If you voluntarily change an upgraded flight, the upgrade will be lost and you need to start over. If there is confirmable upgrade space, just re-apply the PlusPoints. Again an agent can do you as a part of the rebooking.

If you are changing less than 24 hours, then SDC (same day change) may be an option to avoid the fare increase, but if changing the upgraded flight, the upgrade will still be reset
Guate87 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 29, 2021 at 4:09 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by absdotan99
Without the cities involved, nobody's going to be able to make a particularly educated guess. Having a much higher price sounds normal when you're adding a stopover, especially if the stopover is in a domestic city.
Guate87 likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This is likely COVID related but I couldn't find the right thread:
  • My wife and two friends are flying to STT tomorrow morning.
  • When they tried to OLCI they were told check-in could not be completed and to check-in at the airport.
  • STT is a domestic destination, no passport needed, but does require a negative COVID test (or positive antibody test) to enter.
  • They all have their negative COVID and/or positive antibody tests complete and were approved for entry per the USVI travel portal.
  • They uploaded their results and clearance from the USVI to the United Travel Ready Center but are still getting error messages for OLCI.
Any idea what's going on preventing OLCI? If you try to check in before all your documents are approved in the Travel Ready Center, then upload them/get them approved, then try to OLCI again, does it still kick you out of the OLCI system for having been a "must go to airport" on previous attempt? Or is something else going on here?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.