Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:54 am

If cancellation options page for the reservation shows an option for "cancel for credit" and an option for "refund to the original form of payment", does it mean I can select "original form of payment" and will actually get a refund? Or is this simply a selection, and later based on the "rules for this reservation" I may get no money back?

I don't know if this reservation is/is not refundable (international business, discount booking class, no idea what the rules are), and also there may have been a few schedule changes I previously accepted.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tr3k
If cancellation options page for the reservation shows an option for "cancel for credit" and an option for "refund to the original form of payment", does it mean I can select "original form of payment" and will actually get a refund? Or is this simply a selection, and later based on the "rules for this reservation" I may get no money back?

I don't know if this reservation is/is not refundable (international business, discount booking class, no idea what the rules are), and also there may have been a few schedule changes I previously accepted.
If it shows going back to original form of payment as an option, you will actually get it back to the original form of payment. Some of the schedule changes are severe enough that they enable the refund that way. I advise taking a screenshot or printout just to have some record for following up in case there's a hitch, but they aren't trying to trick you with fare rules or something.
tr3k likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:06 am
pjs

Hi all,

First ever United flights coming up in July (had over 600 flights but I live in ATL so that explains it some). I am Premier Silver thanks to Marriott Titanium. Wife and I flying LIH-DEN-ATL in economy on award ticket. Is there any chance we can get upgraded to economy plus via status on day of flight? If not, I don't think it's worth $128pp for the space on the LIH-DEN flight. We'll just deal. Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2021, 9:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pjs
Hi all,

First ever United flights coming up in July (had over 600 flights but I live in ATL so that explains it some). I am Premier Silver thanks to Marriott Titanium. Wife and I flying LIH-DEN-ATL in economy on award ticket. Is there any chance we can get upgraded to economy plus via status on day of flight? If not, I don't think it's worth $128pp for the space on the LIH-DEN flight. We'll just deal. Thanks!
As a Silver you will get free access to E+ on checking (Gold and higher have access at booking). You will be able to freely select any available E+ seats starting 24 hours before departure.

On UA we don't call E+ access upgrading there is no change to the ticket. (This is different from DL C+ process)
pjs, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 12:34 pm
pjs

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As a Silver you will get free access to E+ on checking (Gold and higher have access at booking). You will be able to freely select any available E+ seats starting 24 hours before departure.

On UA we don't call E+ access upgrading there is no change to the ticket. (This is different from DL C+ process)
Thanks! I read that companions on award tickets make you ineligible for upgrades but I figured that included E+ so I'm glad to hear it doesn't for UA. Probably will be at the bottom of the list anyway but you're saying there's a chance...
Old Mar 20, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pjs
Thanks! I read that companions on award tickets make you ineligible for upgrades but I figured that included E+ so I'm glad to hear it doesn't for UA. Probably will be at the bottom of the list anyway but you're saying there's a chance...
I believe you are misunderstanding and mixing this up with how DL C+ works.

You and your companion at check-in will be able to select E+ seats -- there is no list. Check-in and select the seats. The only issue will be which seats are available. These are not considered upgrades and using that term upgrade will just confuse folks on the UA side. UA handles this different than DL C+.

E+ is the same cabin, same fares as the rest of economy. This is a UA preferred seat fee waived for elites.

Upgrades to first on award is only available to GS (the invite only level) or those primary cardholders of select Chase UA credit cards. no companions and there will be a waitist that may not clear until just before boarding.
pjs and jsloan like this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Upgrades to first on award is only available to GS (the invite only level) or those primary cardholders of select Chase UA credit cards. no companions and there will be a waitist that may not clear until just before boarding.
And the chance of a Silver upgrade on either LIH-DEN or DEN-ATL would be nil.

E+ may well be possible, best to check-in at the earliest possible opportunity.
pjs likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS, UA, AA, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Silver
Hello! Traveling from PAE-DEN-CZM and return next month. Schedule change on the flight down moved our PAE departure back from 14:00 to 8:40 AM (same day) and the email says we can take the change or be eligible for a refund. I haven't accepted the change yet as I want to keep our options open until right before the trip in case something comes up and we can't travel. I figure I might as well keep the refund option open as long as I can. My question.....is there a cutoff (besides right at trip departure time) for me to accept the change or request the refund? I'm not looking to run this all the way up to departure, but within that week of departure. Thanks for the insight!
Old Mar 22, 2021, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Jed33d
is there a cutoff (besides right at trip departure time) for me to accept the change or request the refund?
Even if you accept now, all options are still open.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 1:11 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
i'll interject with a question here that I've wondered about. On his LIH-DEN-ATL as a Silver, the free Y+ seat selection will begin a T-24 based on the LIH departure time, no? Will local DEN-ATL Silvers be able to select free Y+ seats several hours earlier than he can? (Ditto for folks with a West Coast-to-DEN inbound connection.)
Old Mar 23, 2021, 3:13 pm
pjs

Originally Posted by wpcoe
i'll interject with a question here that I've wondered about. On his LIH-DEN-ATL as a Silver, the free Y+ seat selection will begin a T-24 based on the LIH departure time, no? Will local DEN-ATL Silvers be able to select free Y+ seats several hours earlier than he can? (Ditto for folks with a West Coast-to-DEN inbound connection.)
I would think I would be able to select DEN-ATL at the same time as LIH-DEN so just about earlier than anyone else on the fight not connecting from Hawaii. But I could be wrong again.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:43 am

Award Search Result shows 32.5k miles, Trying to Purchase shows 45k

I need to book a OW award ticket for a family member for a very specific day and flights. Not flexible.
SHD (Shenandoah, VA) 8:20 am to RDD (Redding, CA) 5:10 pm on June 20.
Cash price is $600+, so I want to burn miles.
The award search results page shows 32.5k for the above routing.
But when I click through to purchase it shows the cost as 45k.
This is a glitch, it has been like this for days.
All the other routings I looked at on the same day show 32.5k in both places.
Since the 45k is clearly a glitch, can I call and ask for the rate desk, or is there a better strategy?
Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by shdflyer
I need to book a OW award ticket for a family member for a very specific day and flights. Not flexible.
SHD (Shenandoah, VA) 8:20 am to RDD (Redding, CA) 5:10 pm on June 20.
Since the 45k is clearly a glitch, can I call and ask for the rate desk, or is there a better strategy?
Thanks!
Perhaps the 32.5K for those flights are the glitch. If you look at the individual flights, UA1742 IAD-SFO, is X0 XN0
So any suggestions using UA1742 are potential in error. The suggestions with a extra stop in DEN seem be bookable and same total travel time.

Web Support would probably be a better place to start vs Rate Desk -- as Rate Desk will focus on the lack of X space.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and shdflyer like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Perhaps the 32.5K for those flights are the glitch.
Other flight options, - e.g. 6am departure, can be purchased at 32.5K.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps the 32.5K for those flights are the glitch. If you look at the individual flights, UA1742 IAD-SFO, is X0 XN0
So any suggestions using UA1742 are potential in error. The suggestions with a extra stop in DEN seem be bookable and same total travel time.

Web Support would probably be a better place to start vs Rate Desk -- as Rate Desk will focus on the lack of X space.
You never want the Rate Desk — they will always give you something you don't like!
iluv2fly and shdflyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.