Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2021, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Repooc17
How can there be only B fares available (same price for both economy and fully refundable economy) when available fare classes are showing 9s across the board?
If the airline hasn't filed anything other than a B fare that's applicable to the specific dates.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:58 pm

What's the minimum connection time at EWR? I've got a 44 minute one coming up (coming off of a 7-hour flight) and missing the second leg would get me stuck there all day waiting for the next option. Should I be concerned?
Old May 24, 2021, 9:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by whitesock
What's the minimum connection time at EWR? I've got a 44 minute one coming up (coming off of a 7-hour flight) and missing the second leg would get me stuck there all day waiting for the next option. Should I be concerned?
Single ticket or separate tickets?
Arriving carrier, departing carrier?
Either flight international?
Luggage?
Guate87 likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Not sure what EWR is like at the moment, but pre-COVID that would definitely be reason to be concerned.
Old May 24, 2021, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Since you’re coming off of a 7 hour flight, I’m assuming it’s an international arrival. I would definitely be concerned. I don’t know if all international arrivals are being consolidated into one terminal, but traditionally you could arrive at either Terminals B or C.

I would definitely have a backup plan in case you miss. The worst thing that happens is you don’t use it.
Old May 25, 2021, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K; Kimpton Inner Circle, Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Hi, my son and I are flying today. I'm a 1K and I am flying him on a MP ticket. I know I get three free bags, but do you think the counter agent will allow me to apply that benefit to my son even though we are not on the same confirmation, but on the same flight? I'm moving him to ATL and I would like to avoid a ton of baggage fees. Also, I paid for the taxes on his points ticket with my United Explorer card - if I do get charged for baggage, will I atleast get the first bag free?

Appreciate the help.
Old May 25, 2021, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Single ticket or separate tickets?
Arriving carrier, departing carrier?
Either flight international?
Luggage?
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Since you’re coming off of a 7 hour flight, I’m assuming it’s an international arrival. I would definitely be concerned. I don’t know if all international arrivals are being consolidated into one terminal, but traditionally you could arrive at either Terminals B or C.

I would definitely have a backup plan in case you miss. The worst thing that happens is you don’t use it.
Single ticket. Both flights United, both domestic (7 hour first flight is ANC-EWR). I am checking a bag.

Not all that worried about a backup plan; just more curious what the odds are that I end up with something like 6 hours to kill if I miss the connection, as that's how long before the next set of flights to my destination (there are multiple). Worst case, I venture out for a bagel or pizza or something.

Appreciate the help as always.
Old May 25, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cazmom6
Hi, my son and I are flying today. I'm a 1K and I am flying him on a MP ticket. I know I get three free bags, but do you think the counter agent will allow me to apply that benefit to my son even though we are not on the same confirmation, but on the same flight? I'm moving him to ATL and I would like to avoid a ton of baggage fees. Also, I paid for the taxes on his points ticket with my United Explorer card - if I do get charged for baggage, will I atleast get the first bag free?....
Policy is no to both. Could you get lucky, perhaps, but both of these are well outside the norm.

Single ticket. Both flights United, both domestic (7 hour first flight is ANC-EWR). ... .
Odds are hard to create for a one-off situation. As a domestic connection on a single ticket, that is a doable (but tight) connection if incoming flight is on-time. Flights are generally on-time (within 15 minutes) or early 75-80-ish% but bad weather at EWR is the other 20%
whitesock likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Single ticket. Both flights United, both domestic (7 hour first flight is ANC-EWR). I am checking a bag.

Not all that worried about a backup plan; just more curious what the odds are that I end up with something like 6 hours to kill if I miss the connection, as that's how long before the next set of flights to my destination (there are multiple). Worst case, I venture out for a bagel or pizza or something.

Appreciate the help as always.
As long as your flight from ANC arrives on-time, even (slightly) late, you would be okay. UA is only using Terminal C at the moment, so it's a matter of going from one gate to another airside (behind/after security). Also, UA should hold plane departures for connecting passengers for a little bit of time.

You have the right attitude of going about this. Don't stress too much, as it is mostly out of your control...have a plan of action just in case - e.g. map of EWR Terminal C concourses/gates to navigate once off the ANC flight; inform the arrival gate agent to call the gate agent at your connecting flight gate; work with flight attendants and fellow passengers, and request to deplane first.
SPN Lifer and whitesock like this.
Old May 26, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K; Kimpton Inner Circle, Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for your response. I found a very nice counter agent who let me pay for 2 and the third was free. United took care of me.
renila, SPN Lifer and Guate87 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Hi everyone, I booked a one stop flight to Europe for later this summer and now the intra Europe leg was cancelled. They actually rebooked me on a connecting flight that would depart before the first flight had taken off. I called the call center and the agent agreed that it would be VERY difficult to make that connection .

Anyways, I was booked in P all the way to my destination initially, now I'm booked J,P and Z (I have two connecting flights). I'm wondering, will this now affect the award miles and PQPs I'm earning? I searched through the new tickets, but the award and PQP earnings section was missing. In case the earning will change, is there a way for me to find out?

In the past (before PQP), the earning did change, but not always in my favor which I never really understood.

Last edited by Flauschie_Mr; Jun 2, 2021 at 11:03 am
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Flauschie_Mr
Anyways, I was booked in P all the way to my destination initially, now I'm booked J,P and Z (I have two connecting flights). I'm wondering, will this now affect the award miles and PQPs I'm earning? ...
As long as on UA ticket stock (purchased from UA), no change, both will be based on ticket price (minus taxes/fees).
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:26 am

As long as on UA ticket stock (purchased from UA), no change, both will be based on ticket price (minus taxes/fees).

Sorry, but could you please be a bit more clear? Does that mean my earnings will change or will I receive according to the initial ticket I purchased?

It is a UA ticket and was purchased through the UA website.

It happened to me a couple of times that my flights were changed by United (overbooked or due to bad weather) and every time the earning did change. The difference now is that this is a change happening a couple of weeks out, while the other changes were on the days I was flying.

Last edited by Flauschie_Mr; Jun 2, 2021 at 11:31 am Reason: Updated
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Flauschie_Mr
Sorry, but could you please be a bit more clear? Does that mean my earnings will change (as happened to me in the past before the introduction of PQP) or will I receive according to the initial ticket I purchased? It is a UA ticket and was purchased through the UA website.
As the ticket price will not change, the earnings PQPs and RDMs will not change do to the schedule / routing / fare class changes.
The earning will be the same as the original purchased ticket,
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:48 am

As the ticket price will not change, the earnings PQPs and RDMs will not change do to the schedule / routing / fare class changes.
The earning will be the same as the original purchased ticket,
Now I get it, thank you very much WineCountryUA .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.