Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by emcampbe
sort of...on a limited basis. Only flights departing 9:45am or earlier (and I think all premium TCONs). For those of us departing, in say, the afternoon, no such thing on board.

Im always surprised to see how many drink on early morning flights, especially in F. I’d expect folks to maybe go for a mimosa kind of thing, but see them drinking a straight up drink, or rum and coke, gin and tonic, or similar.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere (especially when traveling between time zones)!
st530, nycityny and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
sort of...on a limited basis. Only flights departing 9:45am or earlier (and I think all premium TCONs). For those of us departing, in say, the afternoon, no such thing on board.

Im always surprised to see how many drink on early morning flights, especially in F. I’d expect folks to maybe go for a mimosa kind of thing, but see them drinking a straight up drink, or rum and coke, gin and tonic, or similar.
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
It's 5 o'clock somewhere (especially when traveling between time zones)!
^This

You never know what clock someone’s body may be on/headed to.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, ANA Mileage Club
I'm flying UA881 (ORD-HND) (Chicago to Tokyo-Haneda) next week in J.

Not expecting much, just hope to have a quiet cabin and decent sleep. I don't plan to drink anyway, maybe just one or two glasses of wine to help me fall asleep 😴

Looks like only ~8 pax - group of six in the rear-right of the second cabin (closest to United Plus), 1A occupied, and 1-2 more from what I can see on the United site now...

Anyone think 1K is reserved all the time? Also any ideas about the group of 6 in the back?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JJarmuth07
I'm flying UA881 (ORD-HND) (Chicago to Tokyo-Haneda) next week in J.

Not expecting much, just hope to have a quiet cabin and decent sleep. I don't plan to drink anyway, maybe just one or two glasses of wine to help me fall asleep 😴

Looks like only ~8 pax - group of six in the rear-right of the second cabin (closest to United Plus), 1A occupied, and 1-2 more from what I can see on the United site now...

Anyone think 1K is reserved all the time? Also any ideas about the group of 6 in the back?
That group of 6 in the back are actually blocked seats for "socially distanced" crew rest or something of the sort.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Plat
Update: Polaris July 3: FRA-SFO

I flew UA59 from FRA-SFO on July 3rd in Polaris. Wanted to provide an update on service and what to expect. In short - don't expect much.

What's not there:
- Nuts
- Menus
- Hot towels
- Fresh bread
- Liquor

More on the experience:
FAs were super attentive and took orders but just said short rib, chicken, fish or pasta. Once we took off, food was out quickly and included a small salad, the main dish (I had short rib, was good), a packaged roll and a slice of dry cake. The drink situation is really bad. The wine is in little bottles from Economy and like I said, no liquor. Everything is plastic except from the dishes with the meal and utensils.

In between meals were packaged snacks - no major change here.

So pre-arrival meal. They shouldn't even bother. They provided a packaged cold sandwich which was just a pretzel role with a piece of cheese inside. It was served on a United economy tray. Completely understand the whole pandemic and safety thing, but this is really just a cost cutting move and they should be clearer with passengers that they need to bring their own food aboard to not be hungry.

All in all flight was fine. I was just really happy they were running the route.

Side note: I flew out on LH from ORD to MUC a week earlier in J. Tale of two airlines. LH had a full menu, multiple fantastic wines and full breakfast before landing. Felt just as safe.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by scottindk
I flew UA59 from FRA-SFO on July 3rd in Polaris. Wanted to provide an update on service and what to expect. In short - don't expect much.

What's not there:
- Nuts
- Menus
- Hot towels
- Fresh bread
- Liquor

More on the experience:
FAs were super attentive and took orders but just said short rib, chicken, fish or pasta. Once we took off, food was out quickly and included a small salad, the main dish (I had short rib, was good), a packaged roll and a slice of dry cake. The drink situation is really bad. The wine is in little bottles from Economy and like I said, no liquor. Everything is plastic except from the dishes with the meal and utensils.

In between meals were packaged snacks - no major change here.

So pre-arrival meal. They shouldn't even bother. They provided a packaged cold sandwich which was just a pretzel role with a piece of cheese inside. It was served on a United economy tray. Completely understand the whole pandemic and safety thing, but this is really just a cost cutting move and they should be clearer with passengers that they need to bring their own food aboard to not be hungry.

All in all flight was fine. I was just really happy they were running the route.

Side note: I flew out on LH from ORD to MUC a week earlier in J. Tale of two airlines. LH had a full menu, multiple fantastic wines and full breakfast before landing. Felt just as safe.
Sounds like a good set of reasons to fly LH.

David
restlessinRNO, leoo and kevflyer like this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 1:34 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I'm taking my first flight since February next Tuesday, heading from BOS to STX. I'm wondering, the leg from EWR to SJU says "Snack" for the meal, any idea what this means? It's about a 4 hour leg so just trying to decide if I should bring some food with me. I have 3 hours in SJU on my connection to STX but again I'm not sure what's open in the terminal. Any insight is appreciated.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I'm taking my first flight since February next Tuesday, heading from BOS to STX. I'm wondering, the leg from EWR to SJU says "Snack" for the meal, any idea what this means? It's about a 4 hour leg so just trying to decide if I should bring some food with me. I have 3 hours in SJU on my connection to STX but again I'm not sure what's open in the terminal. Any insight is appreciated.
Bring something if you think you will be hungry. The "snack" is a snack box if you are in FC. If you are in economy, its pretzels, a stroopwafel & a bottle of water in a bag.

The good news is mini bottles & ice are back, so you can get mixed drinks if you are in FC.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:31 pm

I'll be flying ORD-HND next week in J. I just chose my seat and there are only two other occupied seats, plus the six in the rear right of the smaller J cabin for the crew.

When I land, I'll be sure to post a quick update on how the service was. If I remember, or if the meals are especially horrible (or good?), I'll be sure to snap some pictures. However I'm not expecting much, per the other folks who have traveled UA in J recently!
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJarmuth07
I'll be flying ORD-HND next week in J. I just chose my seat and there are only two other occupied seats, plus the six in the rear right of the smaller J cabin for the crew.

When I land, I'll be sure to post a quick update on how the service was. If I remember, or if the meals are especially horrible (or good?), I'll be sure to snap some pictures. However I'm not expecting much, per the other folks who have traveled UA in J recently!
Hopefully they will still offer a Japanese meal service option. There seems to be a quality floor for that, which unfortunately doesn't apply to all of the other offerings.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Hopefully they will still offer a Japanese meal service option. There seems to be a quality floor for that, which unfortunately doesn't apply to all of the other offerings.
I highly doubt they offer a Japanese meal option. I'm just hoping for some food besides what they serve in economy.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:49 am

Anyone know what's in the current "snack box" for first? Trying to decide if I need to bring food. Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Anyone know what's in the current "snack box" for first? Trying to decide if I need to bring food. Thanks!
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...nomy/menu.html

Tapas, Select & Classic Boxes. Contents halfway down the page.
Zelucifer likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 9:23 am

Quick question if I am in econ on a flight to Hawaii, will there be alcohol served?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...nomy/menu.html

Tapas, Select & Classic Boxes. Contents halfway down the page.
they should have the kids boxes, too, right? For the kids obviously, but we’re going ORD-SFO (in F), and obviously the kids (5 and 2) are going to be much happier with one of those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.