Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Old Apr 18, 20, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/inflight/dining/inflight-dining-changes.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, were temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. Were also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If youre on a flight under 1 hour, youll receive beverages on request. Well also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entre choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy, youll receive an entre, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus and United Polaris business class, your entre, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. Youll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, were temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. Were also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, well provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, youre welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy. In the premium cabin, youll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If youre flying in United Economy or Economy Plus, youll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entre choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy, youll receive an entre, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus and United Polaris business class, your entre, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. Youll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed

Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Old Jul 16, 20, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I disagree, UA has a financial responsibility to its shareholders to survive and cut as much costs as possible. Net new money likely isn't statistically significant - amenities is an easy cost cut and makes sense in this environment.

I'm sure the workers of UA have an appreciation for cuts in hopes it saves their jobs.
Again, this thread is about CV-19 era in-flight service.

If the cuts are "required", then cut them _and_ notify the flying public - specifically the pages on their website that define the types of services that they are offering going forward. That way those who are flying can properly make their selection based on the travelers own criteria - and not "hoping" that they'll get the services that are currently documented on the web site but not actually being offered.

David
leoo likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 16, 20 at 12:30 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Jul 16, 20, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'm sure the workers of UA have an appreciation for cuts in hopes it saves their jobs.
The only thing saving those jobs at the moment is the CARES Act. As soon as that's over, people are going to start getting cut. It's unfortunate, but the reality is the airline industry was lucky to get that assistance which most other industries and employees did not enjoy.

No amount of service degradation is going to save those jobs.
restlessinRNO and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 16, 20, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Again, this thread is about CV-19 era in-flight service. I'm not sure why folks keep trying to defend UA. There should be no "hoping" that cuts to in-flight service will save the airline.

If the cuts are "required", then cut them _and_ notify the flying public - specifically the pages on their website that define the types of services that they are offering going forward. That way those who are flying can properly make their selection based on the travelers own criteria - and not "hoping" that they'll get the services that are currently documented on the web site but not actually being offered.

David
I think reasonable people can distinguish between promotional language on a website and an evolving response to a fluid situation in the middle of a pandemic.
st3 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 20, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador, lifetime gold
Inflight experiences this week. All in F, upgrades cleared 48 hours out.

7/13 EWR ORD 777-300. Full predeparture bar service along with bottled water in a sealed bag with biscotti cookies and pretzels. Several refills during flight. Excellent crew/service. Great ride!
7/14 ORD BUF 737-700. bottled water predeparture. Nothing else. Inflight, full bar service, in plastic with multiple refill options. Only 4 in F.
7/15 BUF IAD CRJ 700 No service watersoever. Downgraded myself in order to sit alone.
7/15 IAD EWR 737 800. No predeparture offered. I downgraded myself again to Y to sit along. Full bar service offered. FA served me in Y realizing I had downgraded myself, and offered a refill on this short flight. Overall, except BUF IAD, excellent service.
tstauck likes this.
Old Jul 16, 20, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725 View Post
I think reasonable people can distinguish between promotional language on a website and an evolving response to a fluid situation in the middle of a pandemic.
After 4 months, none of CV-19 in-flight service is temporary any more.

United's response and services are (not) "evolving" because they don't know what to do and are not willing to offer anything at this point.

David
UAPremierGuy likes this.
Old Jul 16, 20, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post

No amount of service degradation is going to save those jobs.
Of course jobs are going to get cut - my point being, I hope massive cost savings saves some jobs and cuts the cash outlay per day.
Old Jul 16, 20, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Of course jobs are going to get cut - my point being, I hope massive cost savings saves some jobs and cuts the cash outlay per day.
Doubtful. UA is going to shed as many staff as it can, not look for excuses to keep people around.
Old Jul 16, 20, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I disagree, UA has a financial responsibility to its shareholders to survive and cut as much costs as possible. Net new money likely isn't statistically significant - amenities is an easy cost cut and makes sense in this environment.

Inflight service is part of the value proposition for those customers willing and able to pay a premium - while it might not be part of the BasicY traveler's checklist, it IS most certainly part of the F and J cabin flyer's purchase checklist. I would be curious to know how many people are buying F or Polaris outright at retail prices, vs a deeply discounted corporate contract - I know none of my clients are flying UA or DL domestically in the premium cabin, but some will hold their nose and fly AA because at least it appears normal.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 16, 20 at 4:03 pm Reason: Removed OT (not in-flight service related) and OMNI content - use existing OMNI threads for discussing such restructuring
Old Jul 16, 20, 4:53 pm
st3

Programs: National Exec, United Plat, Bonvoy Gold
What I posted is hardly past purchase behavior - people are buying airplane tickets right now. They are comparison shopping. What is so hard to understand that?
A small fraction of the public is even flying now. We know this and there are the numbers to back that statement up. Out of that fraction only a fraction of those people are flying in a premium cabin. Only a fraction of those people even paid for the premium cabin. If there is hard data that indicates consumers booking one airline over another based on current service levels in the premium cabin I would love to see it.

If the cuts are "required", then cut them _and_ notify the flying public - specifically the pages on their website that define the types of services that they are offering going forward.
While I agree this would be helpful to the consumer this is somewhere between completely unrealistic and not feasible. If you booked a ticket back in January for a flight now, how would that be handled exactly? They don't have a time machine. Going forward if I book an F ticket for October (something I am actually doing in the next few days) can I expect the service levels of today? Or will they go back to the way it used to be? It's really in flux.

This applies to more than just UA and more than just service levels as well. Route maps, timetables, destinations served, and equipment are all moving parts.

Originally Posted by fly18725 View Post
Reasonable people can, but not everyone is reasonable! A complaint surfaced last week about service cuts on SQ, naturally the people chastising UA have been silent on the issue. Link to post on OMAAT
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 20, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st3 View Post
While I agree this would be helpful to the consumer this is somewhere between completely unrealistic and not feasible. If you booked a ticket back in January for a flight now, how would that be handled exactly? They don't have a time machine. Going forward if I book an F ticket for October (something I am actually doing in the next few days) can I expect the service levels of today?
So take down the pages with inflight services or modify them or say when they plan to reinstitute. Not terribly hard - except for UA.

Fundamentally, UA has no qualms about reducing service. Simply define what they are willing to baseline going forward during CV19 for inflight service..

David
leoo likes this.
Old Jul 16, 20, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So take down the pages with inflight services or modify them or say when they plan to reinstitute. Not terribly hard - except for UA.

David
Makes one wonder, how long UA (and others) can hide behind Covid, before they have to face misleading advertising.
leoo likes this.
Old Jul 16, 20, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE

Fundamentally, UA has no qualms about reducing service. Simply define what they are willing to baseline going forward during CV19 for inflight service..

David
I wouldnt mind a direct, and I mean direct warning that you are on your own if you dont like what little they offer on the flight. I probably will still book UA over others despite that warning just because I like the devil I know...😄
Old Jul 16, 20, 11:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So take down the pages with inflight services or modify them or say when they plan to reinstitute. Not terribly hard - except for UA. ....
Of the carriers with reduced services, most, which other carriers have done this?

UA has this notice

Being among the norm is nothing to brag about but it is not as if UA is an outlier
st3 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 20, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Of the carriers with reduced services, most, which other carriers have done this?

UA has this notice

Being among the norm is nothing to brag about but it is not as if UA is an outlier
Labeling these as "safety updates to inflight dining" is downright insulting.
leoo likes this.
Old Jul 17, 20, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post

UA has this notice

The notice has always been insulting nonsense - at least Delta was transparent about their cuts but made it clear that normal service would be restored when it was both safe and economically feasible to do so.
BlueSky72 likes this.

Search this Thread