Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2021, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Domestic or international? On domestic flights, cart services have not resumed. FAs hand everyone in economy a snack pack.
It would be domestic mainline. Seems like you answered my question though. Oh well. I'm used to the Delta Sad Bag(TM) and Southwest's "here's some water" so guess UA won't be much different.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
the Delta Sad Bag(TM)
spot on!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Have these changes now been implemented?
Had both of these new breakfast options from ORD-LHR earlier this week. Huge improvement. Will post pictures later in the Let's Eat thread.

Annoying, though, to still see the fruit cups versus fresh fruit.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by bourbonbum
Any other sightings of sparkling wine splits?
I had champagne splits (JP Chenet) on IAH-SFO back on Jan 27. Seems like several bottles were catered as I had a few and noticed a few others had some as well.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyabunch
I had champagne splits (JP Chenet) on IAH-SFO back on Jan 27. Seems like several bottles were catered as I had a few and noticed a few others had some as well.
Not to split hairs, but I think that's not a champagne split. More likely blanc de blancs!
af fp likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Not to split hairs, but I think that's not a champagne split. More likely blanc de blancs!
Fair enough, it might not be from Champagne, but it is French which I thought was a nice change from the Prosecco or Cava which is usually served on the domestic flights. Also, blanc de blanc means the wine was made from 100% Chardonnay, so it doesn't really tell you much about where it's from. Anyway, I was slightly impressed that this was available on a 7am flight out of IAH.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyabunch
Fair enough, it might not be from Champagne, but it is French which I thought was a nice change from the Prosecco or Cava which is usually served on the domestic flights. Also, blanc de blanc means the wine was made from 100% Chardonnay, so it doesn't really tell you much about where it's from. Anyway, I was slightly impressed that this was available on a 7am flight out of IAH.
True, but if it qualifies for the Champagne label it will be labelled as such. Did you enjoy the taste? I am hoping it will be stocked on my next flight to try.

For some reason, some perverse effect of tariffs or something ?, there seem to be some wholesale discounts on miscellaneous French wines for the past several months. Quite possibly related, they are serving Charles de Fere sparkling on p.s. flights.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I have only flown F since Covid started. Sunday I will most likely be in Y for a long flight EWR SFO. I have read to many mixed reports on beverage service. I realize there is no alcohol for sale, but some say no beverage carts at all, and others say there is a full selection of soft drinks etc.

I can't go 6 hours with a one time pass of a tiny bottle of water and a biscotti! Any recent reports on Y on a semi long flight?
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I have only flown F since Covid started. Sunday I will most likely be in Y for a long flight EWR SFO. I have read to many mixed reports on beverage service. I realize there is no alcohol for sale, but some say no beverage carts at all, and others say there is a full selection of soft drinks etc.

I can't go 6 hours with a one time pass of a tiny bottle of water and a biscotti! Any recent reports on Y on a semi long flight?
As far as I am aware, no food service aside from the little bag in Y. They should do the drinks carts (no alcohol).

Between services, if you beg they will likely give you extra pretzels. Beyond that, I think it's BYO for sustenance.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
True, but if it qualifies for the Champagne label it will be labelled as such. Did you enjoy the taste? I am hoping it will be stocked on my next flight to try.

For some reason, some perverse effect of tariffs or something ?, there seem to be some wholesale discounts on miscellaneous French wines for the past several months. Quite possibly related, they are serving Charles de Fere sparkling on p.s. flights.
Yes, I agree with you. I would describe the taste as adequate, probably just fine in a mimosa, but not too bad on it's own. Definitely drinkable.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS

My experience was a small food bag but two passes with full beverage cart (no alcohol) and you could go to the back at any time as request more. I brought a sandwich on board,.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ainternational
I decided this week for my TYO to SFO flight to switch over to ANA’s 777-300ER instead of the UA flight I usually take. What a world of difference. I was the only passenger in three cabin first class, with two dedicated FA’s plus the purser. They had full meal catering and all services, if anything the menu was actually larger and more elaborate than pre COVID. Normal cutlery and crystal glasses, bottle of Krug and fine wines and more meal options than I could possibly even hope to try plus snacks and a fresh hamburger and ramen noodles (and a half dozen other significant items) as mid flight options.

F was just me. J had about 6 pax. Y had about 15. Felt extremely safe and was far more enjoyable than any UA pre or current COVID flight I’ve taken in the last few years.

I’ll be switching back to ANA for all my future TPAC. UA and my GS status will go by the wayside.

Some airlines just know how to do it right. Most don’t, including UA.
Well, enjoy that while it lasts, I guess.

For how long do you think an airline can keep offering full F service with three cabin crew members for one passenger, and remain in business?
Old Feb 13, 2021, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Bear96
Well, enjoy that while it lasts, I guess.

For how long do you think an airline can keep offering full F service with three cabin crew members for one passenger, and remain in business?
As long as they keep getting Payroll Support Program funds.

David
Old Feb 13, 2021, 5:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
As long as they keep getting Payroll Support Program funds. ...
ANA / NH ?
Old Feb 13, 2021, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
ANA / NH ?
Whoops. Re-read the post - my comment was about UA but the post is specific to ANA/NH.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.