Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Did you say anything? I would have - maybe it went out with literally no catering, but they should have at least said something.

There has to be more to this for a 3 hour flight.
Ok...got water, sorry omitted this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Ok...got water, sorry omitted this.
You should have received
For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.
Service has been reduced during the COVID era although some improvements for mainline have been surfacing. But on an UX flight, even pre COVID, it has really been about the seat and not the soft service elements.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Didn't get the snack bag on that one. FA said right off the bat we're not serving any food. Weird.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by fumje
Amenities will be food and drink. Food will be a choice of heated sandwich (heavy on the bread) or snack box (crackers, cheese spread, candy, the like). Drink will be juices, sodas, generic beer, wine, or liquor.

Connecting in 50min at ORD is fine if no weather or other issues. For the past couple years I think your bags make it before you do.

With *A Gold you can use the LAX & ORD United Clubs, which will have marginally better, although still scattershot, food options.
Now have the itinerary booked. 🤞 hopefully April schedule will hold. Wondered if on-board food options remain as described above for a flight departing late morning from LAX to ORD. What about ORD-BUF?

There are lounges open at LAX and ORD from what I can see. I will be at LAX in the am and ORD in the afternoon. What food options can I expect since it seems on-board food is rather limited?

Does UA provide on-board entertainment system or, do I need to bring my own?
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Now have the itinerary booked. 🤞 hopefully April schedule will hold. Wondered if on-board food options remain as described above for a flight departing late morning from LAX to ORD. What about ORD-BUF?....
Service options will depend on the length of the flight
ORD-BUF, this is right at the 1 hour flight time and I suspect this will be a beverages only on request flight

All flights with wi-fi ( all mainline and the non-50 seat UX) will offer wi-fi delivered PDE (Personal Device Entertainment) -- you will need to have an appropriate wi-fi device to display the entertainment. There is no fee for the PDE but it can be tricky to get operating at times.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now have the itinerary booked. 🤞 hopefully April schedule will hold. Wondered if on-board food options remain as described above for a flight departing late morning from LAX to ORD. What about ORD-BUF?

There are lounges open at LAX and ORD from what I can see. I will be at LAX in the am and ORD in the afternoon. What food options can I expect since it seems on-board food is rather limited?

You may want to check your reservation now, if you booked it prior to yesterday. They've just loaded the April schedule changes.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...019q1-230.html

Generally you can expect package snacks in the lounges. LAX in my opinion has the best snack options, but they also change the most frequently. One time they had hot dogs (), but that is the only 'fresh' food I have seen. There is some scattered discussion of current food sightings in this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ed-demand.html

ORD-BUF should get beverages but no snacks (if any snack, it would be the little baggie with water, cookie, pretzels, alcohol wipe).

PDE varies by aircraft type, but unless you luck into a widebody for LAX-ORD you'll probably need to use your own device and the wifi IFE. Sometimes there is directv.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:52 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
IAH - TPA Mainline

Any recent experience on this flight in F. Did DFW-DEN in December and was pleasantly surprised at the service. FA's were very attentive. I have found AA to provide overall better service in F these days, which is a change from 2019!
Old Mar 9, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Anyone fly IAD-DFW in F recently? Flight time is 2:15 outbound on United Express (mesa) so expect it is the snack bag (what are "two snacks"?) and return is 2:55 on mainline so figure it will be a snack box. It is still quite a bit out (early May) so things may change but just curious.

Any announcements of their future catering plans that I may have missed?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA
Generally you can expect package snacks in the lounges. LAX in my opinion has the best snack options, but they also change the most frequently. One time they had hot dogs (), but that is the only 'fresh' food I have seen. There is some scattered discussion of current food sightings in this thread:
Hot dogs were only there for a day for the Super Bowl.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Hot dogs were only there for a day for the Super Bowl.
It wasn't on the superbowl day. I think maybe a week later. Were they leftovers from the superbowl? That seems quite possible.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
It wasn't on the superbowl day. I think maybe a week later. Were they leftovers from the superbowl? That seems quite possible.
Tasty! Leftover wieners!

David
ainternational likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA
Yikes! Did you see any chili?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Yikes! Did you see any chili?
No, I don't recall any chili. I would likely have tried that. The hot dogs I saw were on a plate and cling wrapped. Presumably those were the display ones. I think everything else I saw was packaged, except fruit. Out of the offerings there, I only wanted a couple of the oranges. I felt a little guilty, since there were only three.

But on other days I have had some interesting snacks: canned tuna and crackers, dried seaweed (like Korean kim), instant udon (packaging in Japanese with a stick-on English label for US). Someone doing food procurement there seems pretty resourceful. I am digressing a bit, though.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But on other days I have had some interesting snacks: canned tuna and crackers, dried seaweed (like Korean kim), instant udon (packaging in Japanese with a stick-on English label for US). Someone doing food procurement there seems pretty resourceful. I am digressing a bit, though.
That would still be at LAX?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
That would still be at LAX?
Yes, that was LAX.
cesco.g likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.