Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: UA PLAT, DL SLV
HNL-DEN

Got lucky and pulled the Polaris configuration and got in two days before the storm. Even scored my favorite seat, 15A.

Outstanding DEN/HNL based crew. Not a People magazine in sight.

Dinner was served on a single tray. Choice of lobster mac and cheese and four cheese ravioli. I took the ravioli. It was a substantial portion and was actually very good. It was served with a mandarin orange salad, packaged roll and a HUGE piece of cheesecake. It was actually one of the best meals I’ve had on UA. Drink refills were offered throughout the entire flight. The guy in front of me and I had plenty of gin and tonics, served as doubles, and they never ran out so it seems as if catering wasn’t an issue.

The pre-arrival “snack” was a joke. Just some biscoff cookie thing (different from the normal cookie) and your choice of drink. I guess it really wasn’t an issue for me since I was still full from dinner four hours before.

Overall a very pleasant flight with a great crew. It kinda sounds like we got the entire pandemic Polaris experience. Great on a 6 hour domestic flight but not so great if I paid the Polaris price.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 11:42 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Great Service

Had great service from DFW to EWR last Saturday. Snack boxes and drinks were served. Even my kids in Y got a snack box. Wifi was inop and mentioned to the crew to see if they could reboot. They checked back and when it did not work, they gave us a an Etc for the issue. Didn't even ask.
​​Great crew!

EWR to DFW was good as well. Hot sandwiches and drinks served.

Only issue was they lost a bag. I have to say the 1k bag desk was great, but I however.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 7:23 am

Programs: United 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
Finally over it

I’ve done 7 flights for the month of March - and I’m over UA. And I have one more at end of month. I’ve paid for first/business on all flights, not getting a CPU like silver members are right now. And the service is so inconsistent that I’m disgusted.

I flew IND- ORD and got snack bag and a beer.
Flew DCA- ORD and FAs didn’t move the whole flight. Not even the snack bag.
Flew back and forth to Punta Cana. One way had sandwiches, snack box and champs. Another way had just snack box and beer.

Was not thanked once for being 1K or for flying (except by Pilot but this is to everyone). There is zero service. FAs are bent out of shape by anything and everything. I’ve been UA diehard for years, but I don’t see how I continue with how they are treating loyal members and paying customers. Certainly not paying for first or business when it’s the exact same level of service as economy.

i guess I should follow the saying „buyer beware“ lol
Old Mar 19, 2021, 7:44 am

Why are you paying for F if Silvers are getting upgrades?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: United 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
the PQP Bonus. But now it seems hardly worth it.

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Why are you paying for F if Silvers are getting upgrades?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
plastic glassware in F

I've posted before (can't remember which thread) about how much I hate them using the usual plastic cups in F for wine and such. It's just one of the more annoying cost cutting measures. I was just in first class on the Amtrak Acela, and while the wine glass used is also plastic, it at least seems more upscale. If UA Is going to insist on continuing to use plasticware in their premium cabins, they should at least upgrade the type being used. But again, we are talking about cost cutting, not the customer experience!

cesco.g, iluv2fly, Xyzzy and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 12:37 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Polaris

So, I’ve been reading about Hawaii in your posts. I just flew ORD-LAS and LAS-Denver -DTW. On the flight to LAS we got those hot pocket like things. I liked the mozzarella one. On the way back from Denver to DTW we were given same option but they were cold.

I’m heading to Athens from EWR in August (if all goes well) and I bought a direct Polaris flight. I’m curious if they’ll downgrade the Polaris experience when Europe opens? I sure don’t like what I’m reading about Hawaiian flights.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 22, 2021 at 10:45 am Reason: Moved to the general COVID service status thread
Old Mar 22, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I’m curious if they’ll downgrade the Polaris experience when Europe opens? I sure don’t like what I’m reading about Hawaiian flights.
More likely than not a downgraded experience if you get to go.

Im currently on board waiting to depart to Honolulu and FA apologized for the meager offering she was about to give me when I showed her my purchased sandwich in the airport and set - yep, that’s the way to go.

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Mar 22, 2021 at 11:43 am
Old Mar 23, 2021, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
So, I’ve been reading about Hawaii in your posts. I just flew ORD-LAS and LAS-Denver -DTW. On the flight to LAS we got those hot pocket like things. I liked the mozzarella one. On the way back from Denver to DTW we were given same option but they were cold.

I’m heading to Athens from EWR in August (if all goes well) and I bought a direct Polaris flight. I’m curious if they’ll downgrade the Polaris experience when Europe opens? I sure don’t like what I’m reading about Hawaiian flights.
You do know none of the flights you have described here as flown are Polaris, correct? On Polaris designated flights, you will get a three course meal (salad, entree, desert) in J cabin. Set your expectations accordingly.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 1:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I’m heading to Athens from EWR in August (if all goes well) and I bought a direct Polaris flight. I’m curious if they’ll downgrade the Polaris experience when Europe opens? I sure don’t like what I’m reading about Hawaiian flights.
There are many months til August and projecting from today to what August will be likely would be pure speculation and worth very little. Get within 4-6 weeks and there might be better guess.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The plasticware for everything is very annoying. It seems everyone's commitment to being "green" ended as soon as COVID started, and now it's disposable everything, even though there's clearly no connection between, for example, reusable glassware and COVID.

Unlike the other member, I have been fairly reliably been recognized for being a 1K though.
ijkh, chrisny2, wxguy and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL will bring back alcoholic drinks for sale in Y as of 14 April > will UA follow?
(answer: YES; courtesy of link from tstauck below)
tstauck likes this.

Last edited by cesco.g; Mar 25, 2021 at 2:38 pm Reason: remark in (YES ..... )
Old Mar 25, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cesco.g
DL will bring back alcoholic drinks for sale in Y as of 14 April > will UA follow?
Yes, just read an article on it today:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-new-dining-menu/
cesco.g likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by tstauck
Yes, just read an article on it today:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-new-dining-menu/

Read the article closer. It is NOT system wide and only on select flights.
Starting April 1, the new for-purchase menu offerings will be available on flights between Honolulu (HNL) and Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Houston (IAH), Newark (EWR) and Guam (GUM), as well as on service between Maui (OGG) and Chicago O’Hare (ORD).

Less than two weeks later, on April 12, United will expand the options to all Hawaii flights over six hours, as well as premium transcon service, including:
  • Flights between Denver (DEN), Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Newark (EWR), Houston (IAH), Guam (GUM) and Honolulu (HNL), Maui (OGG), Kona (KOA) and Lihue (LIH)
  • Transcon flights between Newark (EWR), Boston (BOS), New York-JFK and San Francisco (SFO) and Los Angeles (LAX)
I am still trying to figure out what routes it will apply to based on the wording? Is "and" the key modifier (bolding mine), where basically the new offering will ONLY be on flights between the shown hubs AND Hawaii? So a ORD-IAH flight will still only get the prepackaged bag?

This is getting maddening as a 1K. Flights are getting packed now & upgrades are starting to get harder to come by. I take 4 flights a week & the advertised1K benefit of a free drink & food item in economy is sorely missed. And a "gradual ramp up through the summer" just doesn't cut it. It could be the Fall or Winter before we see service levels back to pre-pandemic levels.
Doppy and Guate87 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
It's a step in the right direction at least...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.