Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:02 am

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
When I see pilots and FA eating cheesecake, I know our crappy food options have nothing to do with Covid precautions.

We pay to fly and get served crap. Pilots and FA get paid to fly and eat better than we do. We need a passengers' union.

Single-serve ice cream, cheeses, cookies...there are so many sealed foods UA could give to passengers in First.
cesco.g, ijkh, bocastephen and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 3:13 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Guate87
When I see pilots and FA eating cheesecake, I know our crappy food options have nothing to do with Covid precautions.

We pay to fly and get served crap. Pilots and FA get paid to fly and eat better than we do. We need a passengers' union.

Single-serve ice cream, cheeses, cookies...there are so many sealed foods UA could give to passengers in First.
LoL why arnt you sitting in First class?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:08 am

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by RedElmo
LoL why arnt you sitting in First class?
@RedElmo.

I do fly in First Class, every week. That's how I see what the pilots are eating.

You must not have flown much during Covid. I have flown First Class on United over 200 times since Covid started. I am Premier 1K with UA.

During Covid, First Class gets, at best, a plastic sandwich or a box.

Maybe you haven't read any of the previous posts?

Last edited by Guate87; Apr 15, 2021 at 6:18 am
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:11 pm

When I ask FA in J about inflight service changes, they become giddy saying that soon they will be able to charge Economy passengers for drinks if they have a credit card on file. That is not the answer I was hoping for.

I have asked "Do you remember when we in J got drinks before takeoff? What if you passed out the little water bottles before takeoff?" That question gets me the silent treatment.

Maybe as UA starts jacking up the prices, we will get a mini water bottle before takeoff or maybe a mini bottle of bubbly, even only in J, on widebodies, on flights over 2 hours?

Did the FA unions push for any of the present limitations? Which of the Covid inflight service changes are permanent?

At this point I am not looking forward to returning to my routine of flights to Asia, Europe, Oceania and Latin America unless inflight service is drastically improved.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Oh boy, sounds like my Polaris flight in August won’t be impressive. I still fly domestically since Covid and miss the pre-flight drink, and the “Choose one please” with the tapas boxes or warmed sandwich. I think that a warm sandwich with a full snack box in First is fair. Using Covid to give us crap food is getting old.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by thaliajen
Oh boy, sounds like my Polaris flight in August won’t be impressive. I still fly domestically since Covid and miss the pre-flight drink, and the “Choose one please” with the tapas boxes or warmed sandwich. I think that a warm sandwich with a full snack box in First is fair. Using Covid to give us crap food is getting old.
Yup.

David
wxguy likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Guate87

I have asked "Do you remember when we in J got drinks before takeoff?
Removed as a published benefit pre-Covid although some FA's still did it.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With Delta now reintroducing alcohol in coach, I think United needs to up its game
Guate87 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Removed as a published benefit pre-Covid although some FA's still did it.
Some? I would say my post-de-publication/pre-pandemic PDB rate was about 98%. YMMV.
Doppy and EWR764 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Doppy
With Delta now reintroducing alcohol in coach, I think United needs to up its game
Even if it is only canned cocktails.
Doppy, cmd320 and Guate87 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Even if it is only canned cocktails.
Beer & Wine as well - for the non-cocktail crowd
Old Apr 17, 2021, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Beer & Wine as well - for the non-cocktail crowd
In fairness Delta had offered beer and wine (and nothing else) for quite a while.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold , Marriott Platinum. Both earned BIS/Nights
Simple cold meal for Dom F/ Short haul International

How difficult to bring back the cold plate served for lunch /dinner on express flights?

Entree salad, protein on the side, cut fresh fruit and a cookie. I really enjoyed them TUS-IAH. Just enough and decent quality.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
The sandwich/snack boxes in domestic F are getting really, really old. UA should market itself as a budget airline. I flew transcon IAD-LAX today and had the cheesy everything bagel thing and they gave us the bags with water, stroopwafel, and pretzels at some point. Why do they even bother?
thaliajen and Guate87 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by PSPAirliner
How difficult to bring back the cold plate served for lunch /dinner on express flights?
Not difficult at all, but that is not the plan. UA (and other majors) acknowledged during COVID that business travel in it's pre-COVID form wasn't coming back for years...... if ever. They pivoted to a leisure focus and are competing on price, not service, food, or amenities. They (rightfully) believe all the leisure traveler cares about is $'s and a comfy seat as long as it doesn't cost too much. Hence the service cuts that in the name of COVID remain in place.

Those planes that are packed to the gills with leisure flyers the next few months are the focus, not business travelers. We might start to see some services return when international routes begin to open in 2022 and beyond, but I'm not holding my breath. Until then, bring your own food on board and don't get in trouble with the mask police between bites
SPN Lifer and Guate87 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.