Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
The economy fares I am seeing LON-US West Coast at Christmas 2021 and Easter 2022 are higher than 2019. Not significantly but enough to cause me to shop around more than I usually would.
Originally Posted by SF_DUKE
SFO-EWR and SFO-MCO seem to be exceptions. Yes, very low fares to fill the seats on empty planes.
Specific routes at specific times (aka anecdotal) may deviate from the averages but what matters to the airlines is total system revenues and those are still depressed.

UA reports earlier in the monthly that breakeven was not going to be by end of Q3 nor in Q4 based on their latest projections.

I think the overall point is UA is still in cost containment mode and that is going impact inflight service -- the topic of this thread which we have probably wonder off a bit.
SPN Lifer and N104UA like this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Specific routes at specific times (aka anecdotal) may deviate from the averages but what matters to the airlines is total system revenues and those are still depressed.

UA reports earlier in the monthly that breakeven was not going to be by end of Q3 nor in Q4 based on their latest projections.
Total system revenues may be depressed not because fares are low but because fewer people are travelling during Q3 & Q4. I think this is clear from the cancellations we are seeing so that the business can better align cost with revenue. Rather than send a flight out with lots of cheap fares, they’re just cancelling that flight.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Total system revenues may be depressed not because fares are low but because fewer people are travelling during Q3 & Q4. ...
It is both -- the data was presented, not sure what else can be said. Do you have any industry wide data sources saying different?

I think this is clear from the cancellations we are seeing so that the business can better align cost with revenue. Rather than send a flight out with lots of cheap fares, they’re just cancelling that flight.
Yes and No, yes airlines are cutting back flights to try to boaster fares but that is only going to keep the losses lower.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is both -- the data was presented, not sure what else can be said. Do you have any industry wide data sources saying different?

Yes and No, yes airlines are cutting back flights to try to boaster fares but that is only going to keep the losses lower.
I'm sure you're right. I did look at the seat charts for my flights and, again anecdotally, they're looking less than half full. I can't imagine they'll fill it between now and departure even though its 12 weeks away.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Can we finally say that slinging everything at once on a single tray has nothing to do with "safety". It has everything to do with being lazy and cheap. European airlines are doing just fine with serving things in courses. Oh. And same comment about the plastic glasses. The cheapness now is almost diabolical.
No, it is market demand. Again, if premium service was important there would be an airline offering it and they'd charge accordingly. Midwest Express offered a high end service and at times was affordable, but they charged a premium and couldn't cut it.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:53 pm

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
DFW ORD

No food catering on a 737 900 in F. Coded as snack. FA said they had no catering out of IAD.

No biggie but was on D fare
​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​
Old Sep 18, 2021, 4:08 pm

The lack of actual glassware in the US is really something. I got a (nice but unnecessary) plated light meal & actual glassware on AC LGA-YYZ. On the return UA YYZ-EWR, I got a Cran-Apple in a plastic cap, nothing else.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by NikoLGA
The lack of actual glassware in the US is really something. I got a (nice but unnecessary) plated light meal & actual glassware on AC LGA-YYZ. On the return UA YYZ-EWR, I got a Cran-Apple in a plastic cap, nothing else.
Put blame where blame is due. On UA (and AA). DL has brought back glassware (tumblers only) in domestic F and D1. B6 Mint has full and proper glassware.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by WIRunner
No, it is market demand. Again, if premium service was important there would be an airline offering it and they'd charge accordingly. Midwest Express offered a high end service and at times was affordable, but they charged a premium and couldn't cut it.
PDB in plastic cups - is that market demand?
Old Sep 18, 2021, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Total system revenues may be depressed not because fares are low but because fewer people are travelling during Q3 & Q4. I think this is clear from the cancellations we are seeing so that the business can better align cost with revenue. Rather than send a flight out with lots of cheap fares, they’re just cancelling that flight.
Fares and volume usually go hand in hand, especially on the leisure side. Based on my own experience, fares are now mostly back down to Q1 levels, at least on routes I fly most. Just bought a cross country fare for under $100 (not basic economy) - roundtrip.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Business travel may suffer a PERMANENT 36 percent decline, per the Wall Street Journal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-cov...bshare_twitter

This- and not "greed", or dislike of customers, or some sort of personal defect of Scott Kirby- is why you don't see a full restoration of pre-COVID business class luxuries.
In the meantime, on LH in business I recently received a PDB and menu upon boarding, beverages served in glasses, warm nuts in a ramekin, my appetizer and meal plated attractively, two different types of bread, neither one in a cellophane wrapper, and was offered a cold and hot arrival meal also plated attractively.

If LH can do it, why can’t UA?
Old Sep 18, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by halls120

If LH can do it, why can’t UA?
Because not enough profit. Everyone flying J or F are upgrades. No ones paying for it.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Because not enough profit. Everyone flying J or F are upgrades. No ones paying for it.
The first part may be true, but that's not correct.
MatthewLAX and N104UA like this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
That is absolutely not true. I've been paying for domestic F in leisure travel throughout the pandemic, and have paid for J for Hawaii for a December vacation. No upgrades
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
The first part may be true, but that's not correct.
Agree, I have purchased some domestic F ($400 OW transcons - not EWR) at ridiculously low prices and on international routes, the reports suggest a much higher percentage of upgraders than pre-COVID. The net result is premium cabin revenues are way down.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2021 at 9:45 pm Reason: OW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.