Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, B6, WN
Originally Posted by Michilander
Flew DEN-IAH-PHL yesterday. DEN-IAH was a 777 with lay flats. Was listed as a lunch flight. Got a pretty nice roasted chicken dish with a side bean/corn salad and a chocolate chip cookie pie. Plastic utensils and plastic cups. The roll had been heated.

IAH-PHL was a snack flight and, of course, had the two sandwiches. Was pretty full from lunch, so I asked about a snack box and the FA told me that they were not serving the snack boxes on snack flights any more. He was nice enough to check with economy, but they didn't have any either. Anyone else heard this about dropping the snack boxes?
What's the deal with plastic utensils being reported recently? Is this a new thing on all routes, some routes, or just a supply thing? All of my past flights have had metal utensils.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bourbonbum
What's the deal with plastic utensils being reported recently? Is this a new thing on all routes, some routes, or just a supply thing? All of my past flights have had metal utensils.
Common denominator is DEN. DEN and IAH are so messed up when it comes to cleaning/catering -- for now, it's just a DEN issue.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Can we finally say that slinging everything at once on a single tray has nothing to do with "safety". It has everything to do with being lazy and cheap. European airlines are doing just fine with serving things in courses. Oh. And same comment about the plastic glasses. The cheapness now is almost diabolical.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Can we finally say that slinging everything at once on a single tray has nothing to do with "safety". It has everything to do with being lazy and cheap. European airlines are doing just fine with serving things in courses. Oh. And same comment about the plastic glasses. The cheapness now is almost diabolical.
Yes.

David
Old Sep 18, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: united
Business travel may suffer a PERMANENT 36 percent decline, per the Wall Street Journal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-cov...bshare_twitter

This- and not "greed", or dislike of customers, or some sort of personal defect of Scott Kirby- is why you don't see a full restoration of pre-COVID business class luxuries.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
This- and not "greed", or dislike of customers, or some sort of personal defect of Scott Kirby- is why you don't see a full restoration of pre-COVID business class luxuries.
Its hard to be greedy when you aren’t making money.

Regardless, comparing UA/DL/AA to foreign airlines isn’t really an argument in my opinion. Different cultures and the Big 3 doesn’t consider them the competition.
SPN Lifer and dilanesp like this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Business travel may suffer a PERMANENT 36 percent decline, per the Wall Street Journal.

Interesting read, and I do agree with the author. Does this mean J fares should be reduced overall in parallel of the service cuts linger?
Old Sep 18, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Interesting read, and I do agree with the author. Does this mean J fares should be reduced overall in parallel of the service cuts linger?
That really depends on supply and demand. More people than ever seem to be straight up purchasing business class tickets directly now, rather than depending on upgrades. This includes leisure travelers.

There is no "should be" prices for tickets. They will charge what the market will bear, based on supply/demand. And, again, many have begun purchasing business during the pandemic for purposes of privacy/space/comfort, not because of Polaris lounges, food, etc.

If I'm UA and I can fill the seats, at the price I need to achieve my business goals, and give less away in the process, that is exactly what I'd do. That is Econ/Business 101. It has no bearing, whatsoever, on "should be"

Regards
SPN Lifer and dilanesp like this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 1:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
... Does this mean J fares should be reduced overall in parallel of the service cuts linger?
Fares on average are significant down from two years. There are some notably exceptions -- China, Australia ,... but domestic & TATL fares are definitively down on average.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Fares on average are significant down from two years. There are some notably exceptions -- China, Australia ,... but domestic & TATL fares are definitively down on average.
In J maybe. Definitely not in Economy.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
In J maybe. Definitely not in Economy.
Definitely in economy (on average)

International or domestic?
-- may be some domestic exceptions
I can book SFO-EWR today for November for $153 round trip. 8 weeks out in 2019 it was easily $250-$300, often higher on the lowest day fares in 2019
The fare tracking sotes are repporting domestic fares are 40-50% down from 2019
Today's fares are higher than 6-12 months ago, yes ... but not back to 2019 levels.

International are down a bit more -- $600 economy TATL roundtrip from SFO

There was a rise in fares mid-summer but that has rolled back

International is similar, little deeper
SF_DUKE and N104UA like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2021 at 2:21 pm Reason: graphic
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!

I can book SFO-EWR today for November for $153 round trip. * weeks out it was easily $250-$300, often higher on the lowest day fares in 2019
Today's fares are higher than 6-12 months ago, yes ... but not back to 2019 levels.

The economy fares I am seeing LON-US West Coast at Christmas 2021 and Easter 2022 are higher than 2019. Not significantly but enough to cause me to shop around more than I usually would.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:20 pm

Defintely rings true for me. I just left a large (50k Global employees) company because it was evident business travel has changed forever. It's never returning to my old role at the level it was, so I left for a better desk job. Companies have realized that so much can be achieved virtually and they are embracing it as much as possible. Not to mention they love the reduced travel costs. Many people are clinging to hope that the good times (as in frequent business flying) will return, but for a large percentage of us, it ain't so.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM *G

I can book SFO-EWR today for November for $153 round trip. * weeks out it was easily $250-$300, often higher on the lowest day fares in 2019

SFO-EWR and SFO-MCO seem to be exceptions. Yes, very low fares to fill the seats on empty planes.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

So should UA panic?

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.