Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2021, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by st530
Sent by a friend taking a 4-month travel nursing gig in Saipan (route was a steal for $1,600 one-way in F with IAH-HNL on a Polarisized 772 and HNL-GUM on a 773).

Friend said the short rib was "not amazing but not terrible."
It's beyond me why they can't just walk the cabin with the damn ice cream bowls on a tray and hand them to customers so the dessert isn't a sloppy soup by the time the entree is finished. You don't even need to collect the trays - just eyeball who is ready for dessert and offer them an ice cream cup, then you pick up the tray when everything is finished. Or replace the ice cream with a slide of cheesecake or chocolate cake, the same product that's served in many a UC right now. Is there no one in the company that doesn't see how leaving a bowl of ice cream on a tray for 20 minutes might lead to a disappointing experience for the customer?

The lack of logic with United's catering and service delivery is just so incredibly frustrating.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Repooc17
In other words, you are implying leisure passengers are not important?
They are very important. But they pay lower fares.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
They are very important. But they pay lower fares.
So at the end of the day, it's all about dollars and cents. Got it.

I wonder if UA knows anything about customer retention and intangibles.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

I doubt they care about anything beyond metrics, margins and the blessing of analysts.
SPN Lifer and bballdad175 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 6:50 pm

So at the end of the day, it's all about dollars and cents. Got it.

Businesses are always about dollars and cents.

And see my comment above about "customer retention". When half of your business and almost all of your high value customers have disappeared, that's not the situation where you say "gee, what should we do to retain our customers?". The thinking is closer to "what should we do to survive this so we can worry about getting customers when the pandemic is over?".

But taking your comment at face value, United knows a lot about customer retention. On my last flight, I fell asleep in the SFO UC after a flight back from FRA on Lufthansa. I missed my connection. Not only did UA rebook me at no charge, but they upgraded me to first on the rebooked flight. In a situation that was totally my fault.

Earlier this year, my baggage misconnected on a flight to Hawaii. They delivered it the next morning to my hotel room, and gave me an amenity kit in the meantime.

Plus, of course, there's all the upgrades and free flights and status I get from Mileage Plus- I made Platinum this year because United lowered the thresholds due to the coronavirus.

ALL of these things I just mentioned are about customer retention. Really, the exaggerations are the worst thing here. Of course they care about their customers. Not warming your bread up is not the same as not caring about customers. It's a preposterous thing to accuse United Airlines of.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I doubt they care about anything beyond metrics, margins and the blessing of analysts.
I disagree. UA has always made things right, and even when the didn’t have to. As to the premium Transcon meals, I see it moving in the right direction
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Do you understand how dangerous a Pre-Departure Beverage would be? We're in a pandemic!
LH doesn’t think so. Had some nice sparkling wine last week on LH prior to departure.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The thinking is closer to "what should we do to survive this so we can worry about getting customers when the pandemic is over?"
I would once again invite you to try out competing airlines, and see how they are balancing both at the same time. Covid isn't leaving us anytime soon.

Not warming your bread up is not the same as not caring about customers. It's a preposterous thing to accuse United Airlines of.
Are you getting hung up with my bread story? If so, at least tell it right. I never implied it as UA not caring about customers, but rather the inconsistency from UA FAs - it could be great from one flight, and then a complete 180 on the next flight.

Again, for your benefit, I was one of the last ones to receive a meal (no 1K prioritization), made the request, and finally got the bread back after 15 minutes. Not even five minutes after that, the FA came over and attempted to collect my meal tray - never mind they didn't start serving until after about 40% of the flight had been flown already (5 hour+ flight), in case you are wondering, it was a 7pm departure, and FAs didn't start serving until after 9, and I didn't get mine until 9:30pm or so.

Or, imagine one FA had already taken your order, and marked it down, and another flight attendant approaches you later on, and asks you 1) will you be joining us for [insert breakfast, lunch, dinner], and 2) what would you like to drink? At least for me, this has only happened on UA, and multiple times no less.

Last edited by Repooc17; Sep 21, 2021 at 8:20 pm
Old Sep 21, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
EWR/JFK<->LAX/SFO are the only guaranteed lie-flat hub-to-hub routes for UA, and surely you do know there are three other full-line carriers also with lie-flat up front and better soft product. Being perfect honest here, with DL back in the game now, UA is again 4th in my books on the soft product side (or 5th if we are including AS) on domestic cross country flights - I have flown on all of them this year, multiple times. Forget PDB - don't even care about it, but the fact UA can't use glassware for drinks during meal service on these "premium" routes is just sad. Yes, I got it, because of Covid safety reasons, or market demand, whatever...

You really should fly B6, AA, DL (even AS) on some of their cross country domestic routes, and see what they are offering at present time. Harping on service cuts as the right approach 20 months after is not going to cut it when people are spending thousands on a ticket.

I flew AA from MIA-LAX earlier this year, a menu and real glassware, same with B6 (JFK-LAX). DL is back to real catering game again.
I’ve been flying IAD-LAX on lie-flats nonstop throughout pandemic. Just have to adjust to make that flight each day!

I’ve also flown EWR-LAX p.s. which has had terrible food. I’ve flown AA J MIA-LAX and recently DL D1 DCA-LAX which both had great soft & hard products.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Do you understand how dangerous a Pre-Departure Beverage would be? We're in a pandemic!
I think this is in jest, right?
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:26 pm

I would once again invite you to try out competing airlines, and see how they are balancing both at the same time. Covid isn't leaving us anytime soon.

Are you getting hung up with my bread story? If so, at least tell it right. I never implied it as UA not caring about customers, but rather the inconsistency from UA FAs - it could be great from one flight, and then a complete 180 on the next flight.

Again, for your benefit, I was one of the last ones to receive a meal (no 1K prioritization), made the request, and finally got the bread back after 15 minutes. Not even five minutes after that, the FA came over and attempted to collect my meal tray - never mind they didn't start serving until after about 40% of the flight had been flown already (5 hour+ flight), in case you are wondering, it was a 7pm departure, and FAs didn't start serving until after 9, and I didn't get mine until 9:30pm or so.

Or, imagine one FA had already taken your order, and marked it down, and another flight attendant approaches you later on, and asks you 1) will you be joining us for [insert breakfast, lunch, dinner], and 2) what would you like to drink? At least for me, this has only happened on UA, and multiple times no less.
You got there safely, in a comfortable seat. So what if you didn't get the same service from the FA's you would get in a 4 star restaurant? FA's aren't waitresses.

The complaints here are small ball. And they get blown up as if the only reason anyone flies is not to get to their destination but to be waited on for a few hours and served fine food.

And no, United's TWO competitors-- and it only has two (or maybe three, if you count Southwest, which doesn't serve meals)-- have cut their service in various ways too. Because they are all facing the same economic situation.

But that really doesn't matter anyway, because food served on airlines doesn't really matter during a worldwide pandemic. The planes are taking off and landing safely, nobody's getting the virus on an airplane, that's the important stuff. United is doing exactly what it should.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Businesses are always about dollars and cents.

And see my comment above about "customer retention". When half of your business and almost all of your high value customers have disappeared, that's not the situation where you say "gee, what should we do to retain our customers?". The thinking is closer to "what should we do to survive this so we can worry about getting customers when the pandemic is over?".

But taking your comment at face value, United knows a lot about customer retention. On my last flight, I fell asleep in the SFO UC after a flight back from FRA on Lufthansa. I missed my connection. Not only did UA rebook me at no charge, but they upgraded me to first on the rebooked flight. In a situation that was totally my fault.

Earlier this year, my baggage misconnected on a flight to Hawaii. They delivered it the next morning to my hotel room, and gave me an amenity kit in the meantime.

Plus, of course, there's all the upgrades and free flights and status I get from Mileage Plus- I made Platinum this year because United lowered the thresholds due to the coronavirus.

ALL of these things I just mentioned are about customer retention. Really, the exaggerations are the worst thing here. Of course they care about their customers. Not warming your bread up is not the same as not caring about customers. It's a preposterous thing to accuse United Airlines of.
So in a sense, you appear to be basing your analysis on your own personal experience, particularly an incident in the San Francisco UC that would have applied to any customer even without status (flat tire rule) and cost UA virtually nothing because it is unlikely your connecting flight was full.

That's the same analysis we use for the bread. If it costs virtually nothing to pop it in the oven, why not do so proactively? It makes for happy customers (and edible bread). Same with a PDB. Same with using reusable glasses UA already owns. Same with addressing passengers by name. It's not vital if we are comparing it to safety, but that's the wrong metric and neither is rebooking a passenger who carelessly missed their connection vital. But I agree with you it is certainly a nice perk when flying UA, as are the clubs.

If rebooking you for missing a connection is your basis for asserting that service across the board on UA is stellar, then you can appreciate others who fly more than you do value other services to a greater degree, many of which also only carry de minimis expense, but greatly impact the overall flying experience.

Chastising UA for not doing the little things right that meaningfully improve the customer experience is not preposterous, but a valid criticism, especially when compared to what other carriers have managed to accomplish who face similar pandemic-related economic pressures.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
... food served on airlines doesn't really matter during a worldwide pandemic.
LOL. Real airlines don't use a supposed "pandemic" as an excuse.
BTW, food that "doesn't really matter" last week on an airline not called United...

Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
FA's aren't waitresses.
With apologies to male flight attendants, most dictionaries define "waitress" as "a woman whose job is to bring the food to customers at their tables."
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL. Real airlines don't use a supposed "pandemic" as an excuse.
BTW, food that "doesn't really matter" last week on an airline not called United...
I just have to say that meal looks so good I'm tempted to hop on LX tomorrow!

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Sep 21, 2021 at 11:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.