Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A lot of this is damned if you do, damned if you don't. We get PDBs in glassware and the complaint will become "they took it from me before I could finish."

Full meals during the pandemic would have people complaining they don't care about their customers.

It seems most first class seats aren't that expensive right now with summer travel done, businesses aren't flying their employees everywhere yet, and the upgrade gamble is oddly tough because many people are just buying paid F to skip the risk of flying in coach because the seats are inexpensive. Many of these same people would have flown in Y so nearly anything is an improvement for them.

About the only thing we can all agree on is that the grilled chicken and enchiladas are long over due for replacement.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dyce

Until United Mgmt wake up and realize their business product isn’t competitive, they’re lengthening their road to recovery.

the ‘business travel is down’ argument must only apply to the big three US airlines…

and until they do so they’ll continue to lose business to their competitors.
Ah yes. The management team on Flyertalk is better than every airline management team.

Do FT’s really want a LH like airline in the US. Terrible FF program. No domestic F seats. I don’t get the LH love or maybe I’ve flown them to much in continental Europe

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Sep 19, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Old Sep 19, 2021, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by WIRunner
A lot of this is damned if you do, damned if you don't. We get PDBs in glassware and the complaint will become "they took it from me before I could finish."

Full meals during the pandemic would have people complaining they don't care about their customers.

It seems most first class seats aren't that expensive right now with summer travel done, businesses aren't flying their employees everywhere yet, and the upgrade gamble is oddly tough because many people are just buying paid F to skip the risk of flying in coach because the seats are inexpensive. Many of these same people would have flown in Y so nearly anything is an improvement for them.

About the only thing we can all agree on is that the grilled chicken and enchiladas are long over due for replacement.
Dead on target. But that is FT...got to be something wrong with everything.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Yes! Absolutely! But keep the "Pie in the Sky"
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve

I get the first point, but don’t really buy the second. If someone doesn’t want an entire meal, they can decline whatever portions they don’t want. I’ve done that in the past when I didn’t have much of an appetite.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Originally Posted by econ
I get the first point, but don’t really buy the second. If someone doesn’t want an entire meal, they can decline whatever portions they don’t want. I’ve done that in the past when I didn’t have much of an appetite.
I believe the point is that full meal service encourages pax to take their masks off for longer periods of time, and that some would object to that.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:12 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Except UA was hardly the leader (even in the US domestic carrier sense), or even close to being at the top on inflight services prior to Covid, during which period the carrier was raking in the cash, and made little to no effort to attend to its customers.
United was doing a ton for its customers and certainly has led on various issues. For instance, the airline never gets enough credit for Economy Plus, which the rest of the industry copied.

The Polaris seat is another example.

Making profits is not a sign of greed or avarice. It's a sign that UA was doing things right. And it doesn't mean United didn't care about it's customers. Then COVID hit and United cut back, just like DL and AA. But United will still get you to your destination safely. They still get the basics right.

​​​​​
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:34 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by dilanesp
United was doing a ton for its customers and certainly has led on various issues. For instance, the airline never gets enough credit for Economy Plus, which the rest of the industry copied.

The Polaris seat is another example.

Making profits is not a sign of greed or avarice. It's a sign that UA was doing things right. And it doesn't mean United didn't care about it's customers. Then COVID hit and United cut back, just like DL and AA. But United will still get you to your destination safely. They still get the basics right.

​​​​​

“basic” is about the only thing they do right at the moment.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

The Polaris seat is another example.​​​​​
We are talking about inflight services, not E+ nor Polaris seat. Inflight services have not been the strength of UA for a long long time, and it's gotten worse in recent years. Keep beating the Covid drum...

But United will still get you to your destination safely. They still get the basics right.​​​​​
This is bad messaging - every other airline will do the same. No one is questioning UA as a transportation company, but the inconsistency, and little to zero care for all passengers show up poorly on the customer service part of the company.
iluv2fly, rch4u and ATLintheair like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:39 am

We are talking about inflight services, not E+ nor Polaris seat. Inflight services have not been the strength of UA for a long long time, and it's gotten worse in recent years. Keep beating the Covid drum...

This is bad messaging - every other airline will do the same. No one is questioning UA as a transportation company, but the inconsistency, and little to zero care for all passengers show up poorly on the customer service part of the company.
United cares a lot about me. They care about my safety, they care I sit in a comfortable seat, they handle IRROPS very well, have rebooked me when I missed flights, upgraded me, etc. United has far better customer service than many businesses I regularly deal with.

The notion that United doesn't care because it serves a beverage in a plastic cup is just preposterous.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:52 am

There is zero perspective here.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 20, 2021 at 9:41 am Reason: removed quote of deleted post and response
Old Sep 20, 2021, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
​​​​​​There is zero perspective here.
I'd like to hear about your perspective. Do you have any perspective of other competing domestic airlines during Covid? Also, if you have any critical feedback at all, of inflight services pertaining to UA?
rch4u, MatthewLAX, Dyce and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 8:33 am

I'd like to hear about your perspective. Do you have any perspective of other competing domestic airlines during Covid? Also, if you have any critical feedback at all, of inflight services pertaining to UA?
I think during COVID, what you call inflight services (I would call it catering- the FA's are perfectly good at customer service) is unimportant because there isn't enough business travel money coming in to support more of it.

In happier times, when the airline had more money, I thought some of the attempts by UA to cut meal service, especially on longer flights, were worthy of criticism. But times have changed.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think during COVID, what you call inflight services (I would call it catering- the FA's are perfectly good at customer service) is unimportant because there isn't enough business travel money coming in to support more of it.

In happier times, when the airline had more money, I thought some of the attempts by UA to cut meal service, especially on longer flights, were worthy of criticism. But times have changed.
I see - so what you're saying is there is, or should be a direct correlation between revenue and the quality of service delivery by employees? I would put that in the preposterous corner.

Hiring, training and monitoring employees so they offer consistent, standardized service by being friendly, pro-active, and follow established, mandatory service standards every single time on every flight, while making customers, especially elite customers, feel welcome and appreciated, doesn't cost a dime. Not a single dime.

United is to airlines, is what Walmart is to retail. Low margin, high volume, poor service delivery, singularly focused on market metrics in order to enhance the financial rewards for management and a small cabal of insider-investors, with a "we don't care, there is another customer waiting to buy your seat" attitude is not how an effective, successful service business is led and managed for growth. We don't need to compare United with LH or NH, let's start by comparing it with Southwest's service culture.
Dyce and ATLintheair like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen

United is to airlines, is what Walmart is to retail. Low margin, high volume, poor service delivery, singularly focused on market metrics in order to enhance the financial rewards for management and a small cabal of insider-investors, with a "we don't care, there is another customer waiting to buy your seat" attitude is not how an effective, successful service business is led and managed for growth. We don't need to compare United with LH or NH, let's start by comparing it with Southwest's service culture.
Any comparison to Southwest is poor. You essentially have no inflight service. Southwest can be consistent because the Southwest FA's don't have anywhere near the responsibilities of a UA FA. You may not like the current inflight UA service - but at least they have something. Southwest does not.

(And last I checked, Walmart is one of the most successful businesses in US history - so probably not a good comparison either)
bluedemon211 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.