Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2021, 6:05 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Titanium Member
Transcon Meal Service

Sorry if this question was asked already, but hot covered meals are available on Premium Transcon Routes, right? I’m flying EWR to SFO in the real Polaris seat 767-300.

United’s website is showing conflicting info, plus the agent told me it’s just a snack box, but in my experience their call centers aren’t that knowledgeable. ThePointsGuy website also says hot meal service should be available, but I just want to check here too. Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2021, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by sfflyer415
Sorry if this question was asked already, but hot covered meals are available on Premium Transcon Routes, right? I’m flying EWR to SFO in the real Polaris seat 767-300.

United’s website is showing conflicting info, plus the agent told me it’s just a snack box, but in my experience their call centers aren’t that knowledgeable. ThePointsGuy website also says hot meal service should be available, but I just want to check here too. Thanks!
EWR-SFO was always an hot meal since the beginning of the pandemic.
However, the starter, main course and the dessert is all served at once in a single tray.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
There are other airlines, like ANA for example, that will give you a premium product for your premium price - why continue giving your money to United when they are not offering what you are looking for?
who said I was? 2 flights this fall to Amsterdam booked on KLM due to United’s cheapness.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
With UA's announcement of flight cutbacks due to a drop in demand (same with other airlines) and a delay of profitability - will likely cause a further delay of a "premium product" whatever that might be.
it’s the stupid penny pinching that is hurting them… I’ve said before that while I don’t like it, I get the closure of the Polaris lounges. But they’re too tight to serve a drink before departure, a so called eco skies airline that uses plastic cups, you can’t put the nuts in the old containers and warm them, etc… it’s tiny things that all add up.

A premium product (the premium is the delta between the price of the economy ticket to the price of the business/business first/first/Polaris ticket) is meant to be a step up.

A lot of the current offering is comparable to economy if economy itself hadn’t been stripped back to a packet of pretzels and the world’s tiniest bottle of water.
Rock214 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 10, 2021 at 10:50 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 10, 2021, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Dyce
it’s the stupid penny pinching that is hurting them… I’ve said before that while I don’t like it, I get the closure of the Polaris lounges. But they’re too tight to serve a drink before departure, a so called eco skies airline that uses plastic cups, you can’t put the nuts in the old containers and warm them, etc… it’s tiny things that all add up.

A premium product (the premium is the delta between the price of the economy ticket to the price of the business/business first/first/Polaris ticket) is meant to be a step up.

A lot of the current offering is comparable to economy if economy itself hadn’t been stripped back to a packet of pretzels and the world’s tiniest bottle of water.
Well, there _are_ smaller bottles of water...

But I agree with your point about UA's blindingly shortsighted penny pinching for passengers who've paid for F - whether domestic or international.

David
Xyzzy and Dyce like this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 4:12 pm

Has anybody else experienced one-time use plasticware in first (hot meal service) today? The downside is the flimsy knife when cutting chicken.

DEN > IAH
UA313

Is this a permanent change, just a “safety measure” for 9/11, or did catering really forget the normal silverware for first?

Last edited by Starbase 1K; Sep 11, 2021 at 10:44 pm
Old Sep 11, 2021, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by hdvargas1
Has anybody experienced one-time use plasticware in first today?
For much of last year (2020) and this year (2021).
Old Sep 11, 2021, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Has anybody experienced one-time use plasticware in first today? The downside is the flimsy knife when cutting chicken.

DEN > IAH
UA313

May be a coincidence with other poster(s) as well that my flight also was scarce on headphones. I started bringing my own for when a flight has IFE. Unfortunately, United headphone availability has become too inconsistent. This also means I’ll have to travel with an extra item.

Today, first received plasticware instead of a normal towel and silverware. Out of curiosity, is this a permanent change, just a “safety measure” for 9/11, or did catering really forget the normal silverware for first?
Has anybody experienced one-time use plasticware in first today? The downside is the flimsy knife when cutting chicken.

DEN > IAH
UA313
I've flown 6 or 7 fligths with hot meals, nonPS flights, and always had silverware. And cloth napkin.
Xyzzy and artvandalay like this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Has anybody else experienced one-time use plasticware in first (hot meal service) today? The downside is the flimsy knife when cutting chicken.

DEN > IAH
UA313

Is this a permanent change, just a “safety measure” for 9/11, or did catering really forget the normal silverware for first?
DEN—LAX had plasticware with dinner last night. Very annoying.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:57 pm

I just flew first class on Emirates from Frankfurt to Dubai. This was my caviar portion of my dinner. Now…I’m not saying United should try to live up to Emirates standards. I paid a LOT more for the Emirates ticket than a comparable United Polaris class ticket. And I actually think the Polaris food tastes fine. But I think it is WELL past time for United to stop pretending it’s foil covered meals and plastic drink cups have anything to do with limiting the spread of COVID. That’s a lie.
ERtraveler, SF_DUKE and Dyce like this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 8:29 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Rock214

I just flew first class on Emirates from Frankfurt to Dubai. This was my caviar portion of my dinner. Now…I’m not saying United should try to live up to Emirates standards. I paid a LOT more for the Emirates ticket than a comparable United Polaris class ticket. And I actually think the Polaris food tastes fine. But I think it is WELL past time for United to stop pretending it’s foil covered meals and plastic drink cups have anything to do with limiting the spread of COVID. That’s a lie.
I don't think United is pretending that. I think United is serving the market that exists, which is a market where very few people want to pay $10,000 for an airline ticket and be served caviar.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 9:48 pm

No. United has specifically said their changes in meal service are due to COVID restrictions. The price of the tickets haven’t changed much since pre-COVID. That is when we used to get pre-departure drinks. And a drink in a glass with warmed nuts prior to a meal. And bread from a bread basket. And ice cream sundaes. And the option of a cheese plate.
ERtraveler and Dyce like this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
No. United has specifically said their changes in meal service are due to COVID restrictions. The price of the tickets haven’t changed much since pre-COVID. That is when we used to get pre-departure drinks. And a drink in a glass with warmed nuts prior to a meal. And bread from a bread basket. And ice cream sundaes. And the option of a cheese plate.
This.

UA's been claiming that the cutbacks are for our healthiness - its really for their walletness.

David
ERtraveler, wpcoe and Dyce like this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I don't think United is pretending that. I think United is serving the market that exists, which is a market where very few people want to pay $10,000 for an airline ticket and be served caviar.
There's a lot of room between "$10,000...and caviar" and UA these days. UA is convinced that all they have to provide their customers on their premium routes is a lie flat seat, a coach meal or snack box and couple of free drinks served in plastic glasses. And so far, according to many FTers, it appears they're right.
If any UA passenger has any hopes of ever being served caviar (again), it won't be on UA.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....The price of the tickets hasn’t changed much since pre-COVID. .....
No going to get into the other topics, but there is plenty of data to support that ticket prices are significant reduced across the spectrum, sure there are exceptions like tickets to Australia or China but outside of a few exceptions consolidated system-wide ticket prices are reduced domestically and internationally in the range of -30% to -40% versus 2019. Up from the -50% to -60% earlier in 2021.
And UA is not back to breaking even.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No going to get into the other topics, but there is plenty of data to support that ticket prices are significant reduced across the spectrum, sure there are exceptions like tickets to Australia or China but outside of a few exceptions consolidated system-wide ticket prices are reduced domestically and internationally in the range of -30% to -40% versus 2019. Up from the -50% to -60% earlier in 2021.
And UA is not back to breaking even.
Does that, in your opinion, justify not at least heating up the bread?
Xyzzy and Dyce like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.