Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dilanesp
How business class looks going forward depends on whether there's a market for swanky business class, which depends in turn on whether Other People's Money and extensive business travel return to the system.
Sheesh. No one here is talking about whether or not there is market for "swanky business class". I think most of us would settle for an edible meal and a return actual glassware.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:41 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
ORD-MBS on a GoJet -550. Flight blocked at 1h13m.

Waited and waited for the flight attendant to take drink orders, he finally passed through the F cabin about 10 mins before landing (collecting trash), I was rather perturbed and said something as he walked by…”You can’t even bring us first class passengers a bottle of water?”

He said “As of Aug 1st, no drinks on this flight” and said “You could have asked me for water.” (His exact words, still not offering)…Yeah, I guess I could, and at that point, forget it. It’s ingrained in me to not push the call button. It’s the only way he’d have made eye contact with anyone after takeoff. But I shouldn’t have to push the call button.

…Or is that “hour” rule for in-the-air? And does it also apply to F class? Either way, I’m still not happy about the God-awful service. Paid F ticket and I can’t get a @#$&* 7-cent bottle of water.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Aug 12, 2021 at 9:21 pm
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler

Waited and waited for the flight attendant to take drink orders, he finally passed through the cabin about 10 mins before landing (collecting trash), I was rather perturbed and said something as he walked by…”You can’t even bring us first class passengers a bottle of water?”

He said “As of Aug 1st, no drinks on this flight” and said “You could have asked me for water.” (His exact words, still not offering)…Yeah, I guess I could, and at that point, forget it. It’s ingrained in me to not push the call button. It’s the only way he’d have made eye contact with anyone after takeoff. But I shouldn’t have to push the call button.

…Or is that “hour” rule for in-the-air? And does it also apply to F class? Either way, I’m still not happy about the God-awful service. Paid F ticket and I can’t get a @#$&* 7-cent bottle of water.
Some FAs don't believe in providing service unfortunately.

David
MBS MillionMiler and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler

Waited and waited for the flight attendant to take drink orders, he finally passed through the cabin about 10 mins before landing (collecting trash), I was rather perturbed and said something as he walked by…”You can’t even bring us first class passengers a bottle of water?”

I flew the GoJet EWR BUF EWR in June in F, and FA offered full bar service on both segments, flight time 55 minutes. Refills offered on both segments.
The inconsistency is incredibly frustrating.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I have absolutely no problem hitting the call button when I need to. That’s what it’s there for. If I’ve been left unattended long enough to actually need to use it I certainly don’t feel bad about it at all.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I emailed UA Care about when service levels would return, and this is their response......

Hi Stexxx...

Thank you for reaching out to our team.

We do not have an answer when our service levels will return to pre-pandemic levels. You may keep an eye on our website for updates.

For now, please be assured that the details of your experience as well as your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments for future review as we continue to improve.

We thank you for your business and Gold MileagePlus loyalty.

Regards,

Regina
Customer Care
Case ID: 162821795572xxx
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:42 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cmd320
I have absolutely no problem hitting the call button when I need to. That’s what it’s there for. If I’ve been left unattended long enough to actually need to use it I certainly don’t feel bad about it at all.
I get it. I just. Can’t. Push. That. Button!

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I flew the GoJet EWR BUF EWR in June in F, and FA offered full bar service on both segments, flight time 55 minutes. Refills offered on both segments.
The inconsistency is incredibly frustrating.
Indeed! But if anything, GoJet F/As seem the most rogue anyway. I’ve commented in other threads that I’ve seen at least 3 different GJ flight attendants randomly move people to open F seats (not for “operational” reasons, and ironically, those F/As have provided the best service).

I’ve flown maybe 12 GoJet flights in F this year, indeed this was not my first experience with not so much as water—probably my 3rd time with a similarly lazy FA. This was just the first time I’d challenged the FA and therefore the first time I was told of this new “policy”.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Baby steps… flight attendants are also going to be removing foil covers of premium cabin entrees.
st530 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by EWR764
Baby steps… flight attendants are also going to be removing foil covers of premium cabin entrees.
they should trial this first to see the impact on the scores… 🙄
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
I for one prefer to keep the foil on to keep the dish warm til I am ready to eat.
Still objecting to the all-on-one-tray-plunk-down process of course.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I for one prefer to keep the foil on to keep the dish warm til I am ready to eat.
I’m sure you can always request this when ordering.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Keeping the foil cover on will reduce the likelihood of a meal garnished by sneeze droplets or virus exhalations that have drifted into the path of the food cart.

For those sitting in the aisle seats, that is the most common direction to cough, sneeze, or breathe.
cesco.g and bocastephen like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Keeping the foil cover on will reduce the likelihood of a meal garnished by sneeze droplets or virus exhalations that have drifted into the path of the food cart.

For those sitting in the aisle seats, that is the most common direction to cough, sneeze, or breathe.
Additional benefit of keeping the foil on.
One more reason (sneezing etc.) I am not too crazy about open container PDBs, when sitting in an aisle - more so if an entire Y-cabin is passing by.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Additional benefit of keeping the foil on.
One more reason (sneezing etc.) I am not too crazy about open container PDBs, when sitting in an aisle - more so if an entire Y-cabin is passing by.
When flying UA, The PDP is only offered in the premium cabin. Even if you have an aisle seat, I normally keep the drink on the little tray near the left arm rest. Perhaps I drink quicker than most and even in today’s little plastic cup world, I don’t find an issue. If it’s the tray that you’re speaking about that they’re serving from that’s another issue
Old Aug 15, 2021, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Maybe I have gotten unlucky but lately even entrees delivered with the foil haven't been that warm ex EWR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.