Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, were temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. Were also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If youre on a flight under 1 hour, youll receive beverages on request. Well also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entre choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy, youll receive an entre, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus and United Polaris business class, your entre, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. Youll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, were temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. Were also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, well provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, youre welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy. In the premium cabin, youll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If youre flying in United Economy or Economy Plus, youll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entre choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy, youll receive an entre, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus and United Polaris business class, your entre, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. Youll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Old Aug 21, 2021, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It is just a 2 hour 45 minute flight - what more was to be expected? Did you ring the call button if you wanted another drink?
Originally Posted by cmd320
A meal. Plated on actual glassware, with metal cutlery. Heated in the galley by a competent cabin crew. I mean, we're not talking about Y on EasyJet here...

If what is to be expected on a 2.75 hour flight in first class is essentially a cardboard box of shelf-stable snacks our expectations have fallen far too low as consumers.
Honestly, when you call something "First Class," I expect something a lot better than coach. The seat, yes, was much better. 1 round of drinks in F is not better than 1 round of drinks in Y. And giving me a salty, high fat snack in a cardboard box is anything but "First Class" in my opinion. Anyone who says that the snack box is better than what they receive in Y is making the same argument that Banquet frozen dinners are higher quality than a can of sardines and crackers.

And the funny thing is that a nice plated "snack" has such a low cost when done at high economies of scale. The FAs are working regardless. Do I dare say that they are yet to cut the highest expense for them in an F cabin, personal real estate?

Does Spirit still have the "Big Front Seats" but with the Y service as advertised? Because that's basically what this was.
SPN Lifer, CMK10, Dyce and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Are all these complaints about F from people who actually paid for the tickets? Or got them as free upgrades?
dilanesp likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 9:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Are all these complaints about F from people who actually paid for the tickets? ....
Today, with the prices for F so discounted (compared to 2018-2019), many are purchased fares. So much as, upgrades are tight.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 9:15 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Honestly, when you call something "First Class," I expect something a lot better than coach. The seat, yes, was much better. 1 round of drinks in F is not better than 1 round of drinks in Y. And giving me a salty, high fat snack in a cardboard box is anything but "First Class" in my opinion. Anyone who says that the snack box is better than what they receive in Y is making the same argument that Banquet frozen dinners are higher quality than a can of sardines and crackers.

And the funny thing is that a nice plated "snack" has such a low cost when done at high economies of scale. The FAs are working regardless. Do I dare say that they are yet to cut the highest expense for them in an F cabin, personal real estate?

Does Spirit still have the "Big Front Seats" but with the Y service as advertised? Because that's basically what this was.
​​​​​​I flew F on an interisland flight on Hawaiian recently. I really wasn't expecting anything other than a nice seat and an extra bag allowance. Seemed "First Class" to me.

UA and other airlines aren't hiding what you get. If it isn't worth the extra fare, travelers can decide not to fly it.
SPN Lifer and HNLbasedFlyer like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 4:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Are all these complaints about F from people who actually paid for the tickets? Or got them as free upgrades?
On my last TATL, my Y fare was 1915.00 R/T. I upgraded both legs at purchase, which cost me $575.00 and 40000 miles. So while I don't expect a restaurant quality meal, I do expect more than no PDB, cold nuts, a cold piece of tasteless bread, and 2 tablespoons of frozen "gelato" for dessert. UA's *A partners can offer it, why can't UA?

When Polaris was rolled out, the soft product was far better than anything AA and DL offered, and on par with the *A airlines. Now, it's a sad joke. Except for the wine - it is actually improved over the swill they served pre-COVID.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 5:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by halls120
... Except for the wine - it is actually improved over the swill they served pre-COVID.
Well Im encouraged to hear this. Would you possibly be able to expand on this comment? 🥂
Old Aug 22, 2021, 5:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Well Im encouraged to hear this. Would you possibly be able to expand on this comment? 🥂
I'm sorry, it was a 10pm departure delayed for two hours, and I was beat. But since I was having the turbot (after 3 flights with the beef), I was offered two whites, and I chose the bordeaux, and it was quite drinkable.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
I'm sorry, it was a 10pm departure delayed for two hours, and I was beat. But since I was having the turbot (after 3 flights with the beef), I was offered two whites, and I chose the bordeaux, and it was quite drinkable.
I also had a couple glasses of the current white Bordeaux 2 weeks ago and enjoyed it. Never saw the bottle.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So how tight is UA sticking to the 4hr block time for a real meal in F?

Looking at a EWR-Carrib route thats a little under 4h, but shows as lunch on the UA app.

I rarely fly UA (was an old CO guy! ) but am considering this vs Delta, which I know will be a snack box and limited beverages.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 11:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Believe 1,500 miles is the better metric
Old Aug 22, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Looking at a EWR-Carrib route thats a little under 4h, but shows as lunch on the UA app.

I rarely fly UA (was an old CO guy! ) but am considering this vs Delta, which I know will be a snack box and limited beverages.
Hate to tell you, but youre not going to get a decent meal whether the flight is 4 hours or 14 hours. Food in UA premium cabins is as awful as ever.
bballdad175 and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Hate to tell you, but youre not going to get a decent meal whether the flight is 4 hours or 14 hours. Food in UA premium cabins is as awful as ever.
I flew roundtrips to Hawaii and Colombia recently, and the food in the front cabin was delicious on every meal flight. Not just "decent". Delicious.
SPN Lifer and EWRSNA like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
On my last TATL, my Y fare was 1915.00 R/T. I upgraded both legs at purchase, which cost me $575.00 and 40000 miles. So while I don't expect a restaurant quality meal, I do expect more than no PDB, cold nuts, a cold piece of tasteless bread, and 2 tablespoons of frozen "gelato" for dessert. UA's *A partners can offer it, why can't UA?

When Polaris was rolled out, the soft product was far better than anything AA and DL offered, and on par with the *A airlines. Now, it's a sad joke. Except for the wine - it is actually improved over the swill they served pre-COVID.
Here is what I think - better meals and drinks are a thing of the past and never coming - could be wrong, but I don't think so. What you get today is likely to last into the far future. Sure, the glassware and plastic will come back (probably when the FAA mask mandates go away) - and maybe some small perceived improvements - but that is about it.

Here is why - the leisure market will never be a large driver of profits for the US Big 3 in the international market. Leisure travel might be driving the market today but the airlines aren't going to pivot to the market as a long term strategy.

They need business travel to come back - maybe sometime 2022 or maybe 2023 - or international travel is going to become more of a niche market. And if you are going to bet on business travel - which I think the US airlines have no choice - they are going to rely on corporate contracts.

And if you are going to woo corporate travel departments - you are going to pitch:

1) Volume Discounts 2) Hard Product = Employee Sleep 3) The Route with JV partners who come along for the ride 3) A Lounge for privacy/work before a flight 4) FF benefits/upgrades/status to Executives and a distant 5th if brought up at all is going to be onboard food/drink. It just isn't a good look to many corporate travel departments to be pitched high end alcohol and a gourmet in the sky. Let's face it Tim Cook is not going to step on a UA plane.

Originally Posted by dilanesp
I flew roundtrips to Hawaii and Colombia recently, and the food in the front cabin was delicious on every meal flight. Not just "decent". Delicious.
You must've been on a afternoon/evening flight out of Hawaii - I broke down recently and had the egg quiche thing and it was truly awful and incredibly dry even with that red sauce - but glad you enjoyed it. I wish they had the scrambled eggs they have on the mainland flights.

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Aug 22, 2021 at 11:38 pm Reason: yikes - meant glassware will come back plastic go away someday
Old Aug 22, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by dilanesp
We have different standards. The leading European and Asian airlines have always had significantly better food & bev, and continue to do so now. UA cut service and food for safety reasons yet I had perfectly great J meals on AA from MIA-LAX multiple times during Covid. Its all about cost savings.
bballdad175 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by nycflyer222
We have different standards. The leading European and Asian airlines have always had significantly better food & bev, and continue to do so now. UA cut service and food for safety reasons yet I had perfectly great J meals on AA from MIA-LAX multiple times during Covid. Its all about cost savings.
It is true that some foreign airlines, whose economics are very different from UA, have better food. It is false that UA food is not "decent".

And how come nobody here compares UA food to Delta?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.