Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bocastephen
"We're serving what? Food? Cut that out right now, we have shareholders and executives to feed.
It's fun to speculate what the Kirbys of the airline world are thinking these days, especially with inflight service. Smisek was only the beginning of the end. "How low can you go?"
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by artvandalay
It's fun to speculate what the Kirbys of the airline world are thinking these days, especially with inflight service. Smisek was only the beginning of the end. "How low can you go?"
There is an actually an answer to this question that I can reference from my old days in product management. US airlines, certainly those run by Baldanza disciples, operate their airlines based on what is known as the "minimally viable product" concept, meaning you either introduce a new product or dumb down an existing one until your target consumer either demonstrates the need for enhancements and willingness to pay for them, or demonstrates that feature cuts have crossed the line and now revenue will suffer, or an equilibrium exists where consistent feature cuts do not reduce revenue and feature enhancements do not produce additional revenue.

So, the goal is to offer a product at the lowest possible cost and feature set that does not reduce revenue from your target consumer. Obviously right now we're dealing with a strange market environment with cratered demand from one customer segment, and temporary enhanced demand from another - so making long term decisions is a little difficult, yet having said this, the cost delta between pre-virus Polaris inflight meals and post-virus is not that great, so MVP or not, it would make sense for UA to restore Polaris service if just to avoid continuing to embarrass themselves in the marketplace.

It really doesn't cost very much to plate and present even the reduced offerings they have today in a manner that does not look like tasteless slop slapped onto a plate without even a minor consideration of care or pride or visual attractiveness that might reflect better on the product.
artvandalay, SFO777, st530 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Food back for flights over 2:20 now? Flew DEN-LAX and got hot breakfast. Pleasant surprise.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Food back for flights over 2:20 now? Flew DEN-LAX and got hot breakfast. Pleasant surprise.
Hub to hub-lite exception route.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: united
There is an actually an answer to this question that I can reference from my old days in product management. US airlines, certainly those run by Baldanza disciples, operate their airlines based on what is known as the "minimally viable product" concept, meaning you either introduce a new product or dumb down an existing one until your target consumer either demonstrates the need for enhancements and willingness to pay for them, or demonstrates that feature cuts have crossed the line and now revenue will suffer, or an equilibrium exists where consistent feature cuts do not reduce revenue and feature enhancements do not produce additional revenue.

So, the goal is to offer a product at the lowest possible cost and feature set that does not reduce revenue from your target consumer. Obviously right now we're dealing with a strange market environment with cratered demand from one customer segment, and temporary enhanced demand from another - so making long term decisions is a little difficult, yet having said this, the cost delta between pre-virus Polaris inflight meals and post-virus is not that great, so MVP or not, it would make sense for UA to restore Polaris service if just to avoid continuing to embarrass themselves in the marketplace.

It really doesn't cost very much to plate and present even the reduced offerings they have today in a manner that does not look like tasteless slop slapped onto a plate without even a minor consideration of care or pride or visual attractiveness that might reflect better on the product.
United does not actually do this. Spirit and Ryanair do.

United's cuts are a result of a changed business environment due to a more price sensitive customer base. Without big money business travel, this is what things look like.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by dilanesp

United's cuts are a result of a changed business environment due to a more price sensitive customer base. Without big money business travel, this is what things look like.
Unfortunately, you omit the fact that Polaris F&B service was being gutted well before the pandemic started, so yes, United actually does do this.
bocastephen, rch4u, st530 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

Agreed - and I'll add, culturally - huge cultural differences exist between the US, Europe, and Asia and those comparisons with those airlines.

Not only are the Americans people price sensitive regarding airline tickets - so are companies. When negotiating corporate contracts - American businesses aren't clamoring for better food/drink for their employees (and pay for it) - they are demanding deeper and deeper discounts.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

All US airlines do this, and have done so since deregulation and the creation of lower cost competitors. Please remind me the last time you were served prime rib carved at your seat flying DFW to SFO.

Also which airlines in the US offer products that even remotely mirror those of their international partners? Polaris surprisingly almost came close, however within months there were small cuts, and it was subsequently gutted by Kirby.

The US airline business model is based on offering the lowest cost, simplest product that people are willing to buy without being driven to a competitor. Now with consolidation, we have essentially one basic product across every airline.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: united
All US airlines do this, and have done so since deregulation and the creation of lower cost competitors. Please remind me the last time you were served prime rib carved at your seat flying DFW to SFO.

Also which airlines in the US offer products that even remotely mirror those of their international partners? Polaris surprisingly almost came close, however within months there were small cuts, and it was subsequently gutted by Kirby.

The US airline business model is based on offering the lowest cost, simplest product that people are willing to buy without being driven to a competitor. Now with consolidation, we have essentially one basic product across every airline.
My parents flew in the era when US airlines served prime rib carved at the seat. In that era, rich people and corporate executives flew. Everyone else basically didn't. The middle class form of domestic travel was by train or car. Airlines weren't always profitable (it's always been an up and down sector), but when they were, it was because they were basically offering an elite service.

The basic point is that having prime rib carved at the seat is basically ONLY possible if air travel is an elite thing, priced at an elite level.

Here's a simple way of understanding this. They don't serve prime rib carved at your table at most restaurants either. They don't do it at fast food places like McDonald's, of course, but they also don't do it at middle class restaurants like Chili's or Applebees. They do it at some very upper crust exclusive restaurants that serve the very rich and charge a lot of money. And of course, that's at a restaurant- to do it on the plane is particularly luxurious.

I'm not against incredible luxury- if there's a market for people getting on a plane and having an old time, first class experience on their domestic flight, that's great! But you're probably looking at a couple of thousand bucks one way to make that work. In inflation adjusted dollars, that's what my parents were paying to fly across the country 70 years ago. And the class of people who put down that sort of money just fly a private plane these days.

As HNL said, there are cultural differences here. There's also the elephant in the room of subsidization and national prestige. But the big thing, right now, is that there's simply not any money out there chasing incredible luxury in air travel. There was some before the pandemic, because at least some rich people and corporations back then were putting up the big money. But not right now.

If there is enough of a market for true luxury in air travel, someone will offer it. God knows a lot of airlines have tried it over the years. And as I said, I'm all in favor of it. But it costs a lot of money, and you need a group of travelers who are willing to pay it.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
My parents flew in the era when US airlines served prime rib carved at the seat. In that era, rich people and corporate executives flew. Everyone else basically didn't. The middle class form of domestic travel was by train or car. Airlines weren't always profitable (it's always been an up and down sector), but when they were, it was because they were basically offering an elite service.
I must be as old as your parents I flew UA in the days of the international terminal at SFO when it was where AA is now located. And you got the carved chateaubriand at your seat with Dom or Johnny Walker Blue.

The biggest difference between now and then? You didn't have near the number of international business travel as you have today. Not even close. It was a true level of exclusivity to fly in F - and you paid greatly for it. I managed to sit up front nearly exclusively as I traveled from SF to SYD/NRT/MUC on a monthly basis due to upgrade certificates from biz to F via our corporate contract with UA.

However, 9/11 and other bankruptcies also happened - changing the entire US airline landscape. The Great Recession and the current emphasis on corporate profits that UA serves from corporate contracts also has driven lower prices and hence lower service.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Please remind me the last time you were served prime rib carved at your seat flying DFW to SFO.

Pam Am and TWA that rib was good!
bocastephen likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I flew IAH-EWR yesterday -- as a 1K in the back. I got nthing. They didn't even have snack boxes.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I flew IAH-EWR yesterday -- as a 1K in the back. I got nthing. They didn't even have snack boxes.
Have we confirmed that 1K/GS in Y should be receiving their snack box or drink? Assuming the boxes are catered.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have we confirmed that 1K/GS in Y should be receiving their snack box or drink? Assuming the boxes are catered.
The benefit was never officially suspended, it just wasn't possible to offer it when the snacks/drinks weren't catered. So I don't think they need to make an announcement that it's back on.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
There was no food whatsoever offered fr Y. I have no idea about F. I did see the crew eating heated crew meals in the galley. Received my free adult beverage during the single beverage service offered during the flight.

When I asked the FA why there was no food I was told that no food is catered for flights blocked at under 4 hours.
bocastephen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.