Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2021, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
There was no food whatsoever offered fr Y. I have no idea about F. I did see the crew eating heated crew meals in the galley. Received my free adult beverage during the single beverage service offered during the flight.

When I asked the FA why there was no food I was told that no food is catered for flights blocked at under 4 hours.
Ah, the make crap up approach.

From: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g/economy.html

United Economy dining

Our infight dining experience is a little different right now and will vary depending on the flight you’re taking.

Beverages

Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary and available on all flights. You may not see our flight attendants in the aisle as frequently right now, but sealed beverages are available upon request, so please let them know if you need anything. We’re not currently selling alcohol on board.

If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. Coffee and tea are available all day on all flights. Wine and beer are complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Visit our Inflight Beverages page to learn more about our drink offerings.

Food

For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we won’t have snacks available, but you’re always welcome to bring your own snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you’ll receive an “all-in-one” snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.
As a 1K, you should have gotten something (i.e. 1 free food item & 1 free drink): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...y-benefit.html

David
Old Aug 7, 2021, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
There was no food whatsoever offered fr Y. I have no idea about F. I did see the crew eating heated crew meals in the galley. Received my free adult beverage during the single beverage service offered during the flight.

When I asked the FA why there was no food I was told that no food is catered for flights blocked at under 4 hours.
Definitely the "make crap up" approach.

FA either didn't know or didn't care to explain the real issue.
Beverage catering issues ex-IAH?
Reported Job Action at Soon-to-be-former UA (Chelsea) kitchens

Note post #7 in the "ex-IAH" thread:
Originally Posted by Whyme
Just had a message from United that short and medium haul flights out of IAH may or may not be catered and may not have old catering/trash removed.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by fumje
Definitely the "make crap up" approach.

FA either didn't know or didn't care to explain the real issue.
Beverage catering issues ex-IAH?
Reported Job Action at Soon-to-be-former UA (Chelsea) kitchens

Note post #7 in the "ex-IAH" thread:
Yep - no surprise there. I knew she was mking stuff up as we've definitely had catering EWR-AUS of late.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I noticed that al of my upcoming flights ex/to IAH say “no information available” about food service in F. I’m guessing these flights are often double catered so the issues at IAH affect returns as well? I’m on LGA-IAH today and the aircraft is a turn from IAH. We shall see what’s on board.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Flying EWR-MCO in F next week. 2 hrs 43 mins. Are pre-departure beverages being offered? I assume it's still either a snack box or a slop sandwich with nothing on the side. Do you get a choice of snack box or is it only Tapas? I'm not a drinker so alcohol isn't necessary.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phkc070408
Flying EWR-MCO in F next week. 2 hrs 43 mins. Are pre-departure beverages being offered? I assume it's still either a snack box or a slop sandwich with nothing on the side. Do you get a choice of snack box or is it only Tapas? I'm not a drinker so alcohol isn't necessary.
No PDB unless you get very lucky with the crew (i.e. <1% chance). EWR-MCO at 943mi is in the snack box / sandwich range (hub - non-hub under 1500mi). They usually have at least two of the snack box options (takeoff, tapas, recline), or maybe all three. The tapas box contents have been winnowed significantly from last year (smaller crackers, no cheese spread); the takeoff box has the most caloric oomph.

Aside that catering issues have been reported ex-EWR, among others, but I think for most flights they still manage to cater the boxes for F at least.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flew BNA-IAD-RDU on Republic/Mesa yesterday.

- BNA-IAD: Full drink service with multiple refills in F and drink service in Y with no booze. Biscoff and pretzels in F as well.
- IAD-RDU: PDB of small bottled waters in F which was nice to see. Announced no drink service in Y due to the pandemic (two years ago it was due to the short flight time). Full drink service in F but no snacks.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by CMK10
Flew BNA-IAD-RDU on Republic/Mesa yesterday.

- BNA-IAD: Full drink service with multiple refills in F and drink service in Y with no booze. Biscoff and pretzels in F as well.
- IAD-RDU: PDB of small bottled waters in F which was nice to see. Announced no drink service in Y due to the pandemic (two years ago it was due to the short flight time). Full drink service in F but no snacks.

For reference what was flight time on each route and which airlines did which route?

I experience a variety of UAX airlines and find the service varies between them. For example, in F on my last couple of GoJet flights I've had PDB water bottles, in F on Mesa the last PDB I received was pre pandemic.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:36 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by fumje
No PDB unless you get very lucky with the crew (i.e. <1% chance). EWR-MCO at 943mi is in the snack box / sandwich range (hub - non-hub under 1500mi). They usually have at least two of the snack box options (takeoff, tapas, recline), or maybe all three. The tapas box contents have been winnowed significantly from last year (smaller crackers, no cheese spread); the takeoff box has the most caloric oomph.

Aside that catering issues have been reported ex-EWR, among others, but I think for most flights they still manage to cater the boxes for F at least.
That's what I suspected. Maybe, just maybe, since we're in a 752 we'll get lucky with the PDB, since Y pax won't be passing by us for 15-20 minutes. But I think we'll end up bringing something onboard, just in case.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, SW Gold
DEN-FRA 08/31/2021 in business... what should I expect?

Going on my first post-pandemic trip to Europe in business class in a few weeks to visit a new granddaughter. Booked way back in February when I found a great fare. I've been half expecting the DEN-FRA flight to be cancelled but at least for the moment the flight is still scheduled.

I'm trying to temper my expectations knowing that we are still fighting the pandemic. Any recent Business class flyers to Europe? Will my food be plated? Will wine be served from full size bottles? What other differences in service should I expect? I want to prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

Thanks,
Allen
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Expect: a flat-bed seat on a 787 with good bedding and an amenity kit. I'm not sure if the Denver Polaris departures are getting free premium drinks like at the hubs with shuttered Polaris lounges.

Basically, it is the pre-pandemic Premium Plus service in a Polaris seat. Food served all at once on a tray, pre-plated casserole entree, individually wrapped items "for your safety." Full size wine bottles, plastic cups (again, for your safety). No menus (for your safety), no coursed service (for your safety), no appetizer (for your safety), no fruit/cheese plate (for your safety), no dessert cart (for your safety).

It's a pathetic, depressing service that United seems perfectly satisfied to continue, but it is nice to travel internationally again... we'll see how long that lasts.
albfamily, halls120, Dyce and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:37 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Just set your expectation very low and hope to be nicely surprised. EWR764 gave you the general service on this flight. If you need to know the specific foods, please check this thread. 2021 Let's Eat - Polaris Business
Enjoy your trip.
Dyce likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: united
Expect excellent bedding, and pretty darned good food.

Food tastes exactly the same on one tray as it does on separate trays. Enjoy it. It's lovely experience. Glad you got a good fare
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by dilanesp

Food tastes exactly the same on one tray as it does on separate trays. Enjoy it. It's lovely experience. Glad you got a good fare
As far as taste, this is true... although there is quite a bit less food, and fewer options than there used to be.

I'm sorry to be so salty about it, I just feel strongly that COVID has become an excuse to normalize shameless cost-cutting.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dilanesp

The good taste on foods is not guaranteed because it depends upon your choice and routes. For my recent trip, salmon on ORD-KEF was excellent, but Arctic char on KEF-EWR was very bland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.