Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: united
I'm pretty sure I know the answer already, but here goes... I'm in first for EWR-HNL next week. I know we get breakfast, but is there a second meal service given that it's blocked at over 11 hours? I'm guessing the snack basket will be out for nibbling, but anything else pre-arrival or mid-flight?

Also on a side note, any way to know this far out what the specific seating configuration will be (2-1-2 or 1-1-1)?

Mahalo nui!
Old Dec 22, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
My SFO-HNL had the dreaded sandwich/snack box option today. Fortunately I was prepared with a Klein’s Deli sandwich
Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:01 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by moocowalex
I'm pretty sure I know the answer already, but here goes... I'm in first for EWR-HNL next week. I know we get breakfast, but is there a second meal service given that it's blocked at over 11 hours? I'm guessing the snack basket will be out for nibbling, but anything else pre-arrival or mid-flight?

Also on a side note, any way to know this far out what the specific seating configuration will be (2-1-2 or 1-1-1)?

Mahalo nui!
Likely have to wait until around T-72 to know for sure on the configuration. Not a guaranty it won't change, but a decent indicator.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Took my first UA flights since Jan 2020 and was pleasantly surprised to get a snack pack with water, pretzels and a stroopwafel. Perfectly adequate for a 2-hour UAX flight.

FYI for those who (like me) are missing the snacks Mrs. B found stroopwafels for sale at Trader Joes. Personally I like the UA ones better
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
My SFO-HNL had the dreaded sandwich/snack box option today. Fortunately I was prepared with a Klein’s Deli sandwich
Next time try the reuben at Max’s just after security, near the Burger King...
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
I’m booked on a 59 minute flight IAH-AUS on an A320, any chance of a drink service in either cabin?
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by andy_dangg
I’m booked on a 59 minute flight IAH-AUS on an A320, any chance of a drink service in either cabin?
Perhaps but only on request -- good luck in economy
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:44 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
BR also reduced service

Originally Posted by bocastephen
1. The global pandemic has resulted in a drastic reduction in size, quality and variety of the Polaris meal service - it is not really appropriate to serve a mid-con F cabin meal on a 9+ hr Polaris flight, and it certainly is connected to the dollars spent from the customer's perspective as it pertains to the value received for the money paid. All things equal, one would find a better soft product experience, and seat, on any ANA or BR flight operating to Asia at this point

2. The Polaris meals are, from what I can remember, in foil containers for hot dishes and in other containers, or in covered dishes for the cold items - just go down the aisle and hand the stuff out as it was delivered by catering, it's not the end of the world if the plating isn't pretty, but again, this is based on a return to the prior Polaris meal size/quantity, quality and variety that I am alluding to here

3. Again, it's not the amount of covering, it's the amount, quality, quantity and variety of food being served in Polaris today vs 12 months ago. That is what needs to be restored, the plating issue to minimize crew touching/delivering is based on just handing items out prepacked and covered - provided you receive everything now that you would have received 12 months ago

Aside from your list, the main defects with Polaris catering now, center on the smaller meal size, lack of variety, poor quality/quantity of both the main meal features, and the pre-arrival meal where applicable. So, my point is, with relatively minor tweaking to the delivery/serving process, the Polaris meals of 12 months ago could be served today if it wasn't for cheapness.
I can confirm that BR has also cut their service on TPAC. This is not just UA.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I really liked my snack box on ORD-IAH today. I'm a big fan of cheese and crackers.

I was also wearing an FT shirt, and as is my goal, it sparked a conversation with someone who noticed it. This time, it was a flight attendant who asked what it was. But we chatted for quite a while, discussing things like our disdain of people who have their mask off for 60 minutes while they eat 3 almonds.

I haven't had a particularly bad crew (on any airline) in quite a while, but this one was better than average before we even had a conversation.

Some employees definitely really care about COVID precautions, but are getting tired of the confrontations over things like wearing masks.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I really liked my snack box on ORD-IAH today. I'm a big fan of cheese and crackers.

I was also wearing an FT shirt, and as is my goal, it sparked a conversation with someone who noticed it. This time, it was a flight attendant who asked what it was. But we chatted for quite a while, discussing things like our disdain of people who have their mask off for 60 minutes while they eat 3 almonds.

I haven't had a particularly bad crew (on any airline) in quite a while, but this one was better than average before we even had a conversation.

Some employees definitely really care about COVID precautions, but are getting tired of the confrontations over things like wearing masks.
The pre-flight announcements are emphasising more and more that you cannot take one sip every five minutes to be considered 'eating/drinking'. I imagine that is because they are having more trouble with mask compliance.

Will your interlocuter join us here? UA voices on the inside are great to have.
Xyzzy and st3 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
I recently flew MIA-LAX in J on AA. Wow, was that a 180 in service from what UA is offering in premium transcon (I have flown UA EWR-LAX several times during pandemic). Excellent food and service throughout on AA.

Ignoring that half of my recent UA flights have had extreme delays due to operational/mechanical issues, the entire UA travel experience is at the bottom of line below AA, DL, and AS—I have flown all of them this year.

UA needs to get it together. They can pack planes but can’t serve real food? I would have more respect for UA if it came out and called itself a budget airline already.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by amartin1979
I can confirm that BR has also cut their service on TPAC. This is not just UA.
Do you have a specific example? I know people who just flew BR RL class a short while ago and had the same full service as always, with some hygiene adjustments.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:30 am

Do you have a specific example? I know people who just flew BR RL class a short while ago and had the same full service as always, with some hygiene adjustments.
Much smaller portions, reduced menu options, lack of any mid flight snack options, no menus. Drink options limited. Basically was like domestic UA meal service might have been in 2019. Very disappointing.

I flew on SFO-TPE in mid December for reference

Also, the lounge options in TPE are similarly disappointing with almost everything closed. The only shower option was the publicly available shower with limited hot water and bring your own towel
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Much smaller portions, reduced menu options, lack of any mid flight snack options, no menus. Drink options limited. Basically was like domestic UA meal service might have been in 2019. Very disappointing.

I flew on SFO-TPE in mid December for reference

Also, the lounge options in TPE are similarly disappointing with almost everything closed. The only shower option was the publicly available shower with limited hot water and bring your own towel
I had friends flying early Dec LAX TPE and had completely normal service including pre-departure online ordering of meals. Maybe it was a flight or route anomaly. I haven't noticed this complaint in the BR thread.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:28 pm

I had friends flying early Dec LAX TPE and had completely normal service including pre-departure online ordering of meals. Maybe it was a flight or route anomaly. I haven't noticed this complaint in the BR thread.
YMMV
restlessinRNO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.