Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2020, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by st530
But does anyone think post-Covid Polaris cuts are what saved UA from bankruptcy?
No, but cutting costs in all possible areas are a knee jerk reaction from accountants when the business is in the red. And accountants run UA.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Full beverage service today less alcohol MIA-IAD. Recently flew AA,DL, and WN they do not do that water only.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer and CMK10 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by st530
But does anyone think post-Covid Polaris cuts are what saved UA from bankruptcy?
No but optics are apparently important in the grand scheme of things...

David
Old Dec 7, 2020, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Yesterday:

LAX-IAD ( 737-900ER ): Full beverage service after takeoff, snack bag containing sanitizing wipe, a stoopwafel, a bag of pretzels and a small Dasani water was provided. Slept for the last 3h30min of the flight so didn't realize if there was a second service
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Transcon UA: hot meal, amenity kit, full-size water bottle
Transcon DL: snack box, no amenity kit, tiniest water bottle

Guess what one wanted to charge over $1K more than the other one-way?

Of course there are better players out there than UA (and DL) with regards to inflight service, but then again, I have never cared much for PDB, and I don't drink alcohol, so I am good with UA.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It may have started as a safety issue and it just more convenient to let that stay as that (better PR). It still stays as part of the issue, the single tray meal does cut interaction, but most understand the cost saving benefit is a key driver now. It is just one of those wink-winks we come across every day in our lives. There are some things in life to stress over and then there are things to just sighhh .

But understand that those that are flying (I'm not, so easier to be physiological) feel taken advantage of

It is clear there are some recent improvements and if finances continue to improve (with the coming vaccine distribution) hopefully more things will return to normal. But still going to be a hard 6-9 months for the carriers.
I am flying again - all business - often Polaris - and it is just appalling what UA is getting away with in cost cutting the soft product. I switched to LH metal because the service is almost identical to pre-Covid levels. I really do not want to sigh my disappointment especially when it is transparent how much my leg is pulled. When a purser tells me with attitude that the new service in C is "what the US government allowed us to serve" is insulting.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 1:16 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by cricketrun
I am flying again - all business - often Polaris - and it is just appalling what UA is getting away with in cost cutting the soft product. I switched to LH metal because the service is almost identical to pre-Covid levels. I really do not want to sigh my disappointment especially when it is transparent how much my leg is pulled. When a purser tells me with attitude that the new service in C is "what the US government allowed us to serve" is insulting.
EXACTLY. This is precisely what I was saying above. Lying to the customer is simply unprofessional and indeed you're right - insulting.

Originally Posted by DELee
I guess it would have been better to let the airlines go under than have bad optics and terrible meals.

David
Haha. But this isn't what some of us are suggesting. We are suggesting they tell the truth. They are cutting quality of service to save money during these difficult times. That these financial savings are required for them to stay in business, and cost cutting is necessary and they are sorry, but this is the way it has to be for now.

I'd be fine with that honest and true message.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 8, 2020 at 9:15 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member
Old Dec 8, 2020, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Transcon UA: hot meal, amenity kit, full-size water bottle
You got an amenity kit? I didn't get one last week. But I agree that UA is far better than DL at the moment. Starting with the price.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stimpy
You got an amenity kit? I didn't get one last week. But I agree that UA is far better than DL at the moment. Starting with the price.
EWR-SFO/LAX only.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
EWR-SFO/LAX only.
Yes, this was LAX-EWR on a P class ticket, sitting in 1A.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes, this was LAX-EWR on a P class ticket, sitting in 1A.
The good news is you didn't miss much!

Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cricketrun
Does that make Scott Kirby a government official?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Alcohol

Are they service alcohol.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Are they service alcohol.
Yes on Domestic First, however, on shorter routes you need to request it
Domestic Economy and EconomyPlus -> No ( Except for several routes out of DEN vice-versa )
Old Dec 11, 2020, 2:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Full beverage service today less alcohol MIA-IAD. Recently flew AA,DL, and WN they do not do that water only.
United has been the only airline I've been on in the last six months doing proactive full beverage services in Y. They deserve credit for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.