Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by fly747first
You are right, but with AA serving sandwiches in brown bags and DL not serving anything at all, UA has no reason to elevate such poor standards.
I'd take AAs sandwich (+ cookie) over the UA sandwich/snackbox offerings.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, alcohol is available in United Domestic First.
Got an amaretto on Oct 19, flying IAH-SJC fc. Haven't seen the little liquor bottles in too long.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
You are right, but with AA serving sandwiches in brown bags and DL not serving anything at all, UA has no reason to elevate such poor standards.
On transcon in flagship business American is still essentially doing their pre-pandemic service which >> United's current service
Old Nov 11, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
On transcon in flagship business American is still essentially doing their pre-pandemic service which >> United's current service
AA Flagship is a bit downgrade compared to the pre-COVID service ( especially the appetizer & the dessert ) but it's still better than what UA is serving on EWR-LAX/SFO.
cmd320 and tstauck like this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
AA Flagship is a bit downgrade compared to the pre-COVID service ( especially the appetizer & the dessert ) but it's still better than what UA is serving on EWR-LAX/SFO.
You said it: especially on the dessert... while AA was providing cheesecake in previous months, dessert on JFK LAX/SFO and MIA LAX (77W) is nothing more than a tiny raspberry square now.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
One thing I've noticed when i do get upgraded is catering doesn't properly supply the First cabin with enough booze...A lot of the times recently I'm told that they're out of Jack Daniels, etc.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by siesta6207
One thing I've noticed when i do get upgraded is catering doesn't properly supply the First cabin with enough booze...A lot of the times recently I'm told that they're out of Jack Daniels, etc.
That happened on my last FLL EWR flight and the guy sitting behind me wasn't happy lol
Old Nov 15, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, B6, WN
Originally Posted by siesta6207
Agree, got the last can of bloody Mary mix recently sitting in 3A. I think a lot of people after me were disappointed. And alcohol options were slim by the end of the flight.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At SFO recently with a lot of venues still closed, the ones that are open can have really long lines. If you like to cut it close, as I do especially these days, you may not have enough time to get something before your flight if it's a busy time. A decent meal in a premium cabin is not an unreasonable expectation.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Doppy
At SFO recently with a lot of venues still closed, the ones that are open can have really long lines. If you like to cut it close, as I do especially these days, you may not have enough time to get something before your flight if it's a busy time. A decent meal in a premium cabin is not an unreasonable expectation.
International airside is even worse. One terrible “Japanese” restaurant Tomozaku run by a Chinese chef with horrible quality, overpriced trash for sale. International landslide also has only one open establishment, Portobello Grill, which is better in that it’s fresh and made to order, but still lacking in quality and flavor.

Both are miles better than UA Polaris meals at this juncture. I’d rather eat a radial tire.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by ainternational
International airside is even worse. One terrible “Japanese” restaurant Tomozaku run by a Chinese chef with horrible quality, overpriced trash for sale. International landslide also has only one open establishment, Portobello Grill, which is better in that it’s fresh and made to order, but still lacking in quality and flavor.

Both are miles better than UA Polaris meals at this juncture. I’d rather eat a radial tire.
How is this related in COVID inflight service changes?
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
Maybe because the in-terminal options are equally bad, and it's really United's responsibility to offer a useful, attractive, competitive product in the premium cabins and stop hiding behind the false narrative of "it's for your safety", when the truth is they lack the competence to make money.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
It’s clear advice to bring your own food for Polaris J during COVID and steer clear of the on board offering.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ainternational
It’s clear advice to bring your own food for Polaris J during COVID and steer clear of the on board offering.
Fair but on a very long flight your food will eventually go cold, though I'm sure it's possible to get better sandwiches at the airport than the pre-arrival ones UA is serving in Polaris these days
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Maybe because the in-terminal options are equally bad, and it's really United's responsibility to offer a useful, attractive, competitive product in the premium cabins and stop hiding behind the false narrative of "it's for your safety", when the truth is they lack the competence to make money.
So, when UA the past 2 quarters had the best financials compared to DL and AA, it was because of a lack of competence? A responsibility to offer a competitive product - seems to me, at least from a bottom line, they are doing far better than the competition. The Delta website screams, our total cutbacks are for your safety - why no outrage over them?
bluedemon211 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.