Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta, United, American
Transcon Polaris service on 787-10 vs 757

Just wondering if, other than seat quality, there are any service differences on EWR-LAX transcon flights on the 787-10 vs older 757 in First ("Polaris"). Would meals/drinks, etc be exactly the same for same time of day flights?

Also... would you feel "more safe" on the newer 787-10 with more space between you and a neighbor (but more overall people on the plane...) or the 757 with lower capacity but someone sitting closer to you...

Last edited by clintonuws; Dec 12, 2020 at 8:52 am
Old Dec 12, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by clintonuws
Just wondering if, other than seat quality, there are any service differences on EWR-LAX transcon flights on the 787-10 vs older 757 flights in First ("Polaris"). Would meals/drinks, etc be exactly the same for same time of day flights?

Also... would you feel "more safe" on the newer 787-10 with more space between you and a neighbor (but more overall people on the plane...) or the 757 with lower capacity but someone sitting closer to you...
Take B787-10 any day. There is no comparison about the experience. Service will be less attentive because of the large business cabin, though. Foods should be the same.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clintonuws
Just wondering if, other than seat quality, there are any service differences on EWR-LAX transcon flights on the 787-10 vs older 757 flights in First ("Polaris"). Would meals/drinks, etc be exactly the same for same time of day flights?

The 781 has new Polaris seats, and no 757 does. So you will have more personal isolation. Pick an odd row window if you can.

More information on 781:
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10
Old Dec 14, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Go for it. I find it hard to believe anyone thinks they are getting a great meal on a US airline the past 20 years.
Beg to differ. Have had many. A relatively low % of meals eaten but over the years lots of tasty meals! A significantly higher percentage of delishiousness on AA vs UA though IMO.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Beg to differ. Have had many. A relatively low % of meals eaten but over the years lots of tasty meals! A significantly higher percentage of delishiousness on AA vs UA though IMO.
Valid point but to each their own.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Probably pushing the limits of your 20 year limit but had many memorable meals in United International First TATL and TPAC - on one meal JFK-NRT I remember the Dom Perignon, Caviar on ice, lobster appetizer, carved chateaubriand, really good cheeses and an amazing gateau for dessert - no lie flats back then but the meal was amazing
Old Dec 16, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
Probably pushing the limits of your 20 year limit but had many memorable meals in United International First TATL and TPAC - on one meal JFK-NRT I remember the Dom Perignon, Caviar on ice, lobster appetizer, carved chateaubriand, really good cheeses and an amazing gateau for dessert - no lie flats back then but the meal was amazing
So did I (with lie flats) in international F. Circa 1990’s.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Hallelujah!

David
Old Dec 17, 2020, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My NAS-IAD-SFO just became NAS-EWR-SFO due to a cancellation.

Per the wiki, that means I can now expect a hot meal?
Old Dec 17, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My NAS-IAD-SFO just became NAS-EWR-SFO due to a cancellation.

Per the wiki, that means I can now expect a hot meal?
That is correct.
Xyzzy and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
Thanks to benefits my father earned by traveling tons for his own consulting business, I had the good fortune to fly quite a bit on UA in domestic first in the 1980s (I was a college student at the time). Although the seats are better now, the multi-course meals were plated individually from a cart and the prime rib was carved individually (you could select an outside piece if you preferred a more well done cut). Pre-departure champagne was usually Moet.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
There were no lie flat seats on UA in the 1990's. In fact I think no other airline than BA had that. There was a reason I flew a lot of BA First Class in those days. I was flying over 200K BIS on UA in the late 1990's including a lot of long flights to Oz. They were never in 180 degree flat seats.
SPN Lifer and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by stimpy
There were no lie flat seats on UA in the 1990's. In fact I think no other airline than BA had that. There was a reason I flew a lot of BA First Class in those days. I was flying over 200K BIS on UA in the late 1990's including a lot of long flights to Oz. They were never in 180 degree flat seats.

I don't know exactly when "The United Suite" rolled out. Found this image from 2002. These did become lie flat.
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Unit...22-ER/235742/L
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I don't know exactly when "The United Suite" rolled out. Found this image from 2002. These did become lie flat.
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Unit...22-ER/235742/L
United First Suite (flying beds)
Originally Posted by WVFM
CHICAGO, March 4, 1999 - United Airlines today announced the deployment of the United First Suite, becoming the first U.S. airline to provide a lie flat bed on its fleet of international aircraft. The United First Suite, a combination seat which features office work space or reclines 180 degrees to form a six feet and six inches long bed, is currently being rolled-out on select United Airlines 777s. United plans to have the United First Suite on all its international 777 and 747-400 aircraft, with its first 20 aircraft converted by the year's end.
United First Class Customers Sleep Easy as First Suite Installation Is Complete
Originally Posted by doc
United Airlines (NYSE: UAL - news), which in 1999 became the first U.S. carrier to offer a lie-flat bed in First Class, now has the United First Suite on its entire international Boeing 777 and 747 fleet. The airline launched the First Suite on its Boeing 777s, completing installation of all 47 aircraft in February. This week, United finished installation of the Suite on the last of its 44 Boeing 747-400s.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
44 747-400s ... wow! The good old sUA pre-9/11 days ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.