Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Some minor service changes starting February 1st, courtesy of Brian Sumers on Twitter:
  • Additional entree choice, "packaged sides," croissant, and packaged roll for Polaris pre-arrival meals
  • "French Twist" croissant (to be served warm) replacing Turkey Monte sandwich on AM domestic flights from hubs and select outstations
  • Hot chocolate coming to an end as a regularly offered beverage
CrimsonKnight1776 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
Some minor service changes starting February 1st, courtesy of Brian Sumers on Twitter:
  • Additional entree choice, "packaged sides," croissant, and packaged roll for Polaris pre-arrival meals
  • "French Twist" croissant (to be served warm) replacing Turkey Monte sandwich on AM domestic flights from hubs and select outstations
https://twitter.com/BrianSumers/stat...770560/photo/1
Hot chocolate was not available on my recent UA flight.
I guess that due to low demand, they stopped loading hot chocolate packs.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I decided this week for my TYO to SFO flight to switch over to ANA’s 777-300ER instead of the UA flight I usually take. What a world of difference. I was the only passenger in three cabin first class, with two dedicated FA’s plus the purser. They had full meal catering and all services, if anything the menu was actually larger and more elaborate than pre COVID. Normal cutlery and crystal glasses, bottle of Krug and fine wines and more meal options than I could possibly even hope to try plus snacks and a fresh hamburger and ramen noodles (and a half dozen other significant items) as mid flight options.

F was just me. J had about 6 pax. Y had about 15. Felt extremely safe and was far more enjoyable than any UA pre or current COVID flight I’ve taken in the last few years.

I’ll be switching back to ANA for all my future TPAC. UA and my GS status will go by the wayside.

Some airlines just know how to do it right. Most don’t, including UA.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ainternational
I’ll be switching back to ANA for all my future TPAC. UA and my GS status will go by the wayside.
Well done. Status is pretty meaningless when you are flying paid international first class. Or even business class to a degree.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Not directly related to catering, however, most UA MP elites that I know are flying transatlantic and/or transpacific on UA metal for lifetime miles which could be only obtained through flying UA metal rather than alliance partners. That's how UA is surviving on those routes and attracting business travellers or people who could afford flying premium. There is also another factor that some people feel more safer onboard the airline of their home country.

If people were more aware of the situation, someone who is flying international business or first all the time would definitely choose an Asian carrier over UA for transpacific or the LH Group over UA for travel to Europe. They definitely have better service, plus some carriers are doing joint-business with United where the ticket prices exactly match United Polaris.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo, tcdtcd and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:43 am
Suspended

A couple data points from some recent UA Express Flights up front:

Republic E170 DTW-IAD: Full choice of beverages once in the air, no food. Only time for a single drink due to turbulence. Also had TSA checking boarding passes/ID's prior to boarding.
Mesa E175 IAD-BDL: Full choice of beverages once in the air, also got the snack bag which contained biscoff, stroopwaffles, water and wipes. Great service by our FA who also provided multiple refills on this short hop.

Nice change from AA where you play the guessing game each time.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Not directly related to catering, however, most UA MP elites that I know are flying transatlantic and/or transpacific on UA metal for lifetime miles which could be only obtained through flying UA metal rather than alliance partners. That's how UA is surviving on those routes and attracting business travellers or people who could afford flying premium. There is also another factor that some people feel more safer onboard the airline of their home country.

If people were more aware of the situation, someone who is flying international business or first all the time would definitely choose an Asian carrier over UA for transpacific or the LH Group over UA for travel to Europe. They definitely have better service, plus some carriers are doing joint-business with United where the ticket prices exactly match United Polaris.
But some have quit that game and are now benefiting from choosing the best service & dining rather than continuing the current embarrassment on United. Sure will miss those tapas boxes...
Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ainternational
I decided this week for my TYO to SFO flight to switch over to ANA’s 777-300ER instead of the UA flight I usually take. What a world of difference. I was the only passenger in three cabin first class, with two dedicated FA’s plus the purser. They had full meal catering and all services, if anything the menu was actually larger and more elaborate than pre COVID. Normal cutlery and crystal glasses, bottle of Krug and fine wines and more meal options than I could possibly even hope to try plus snacks and a fresh hamburger and ramen noodles (and a half dozen other significant items) as mid flight options.

F was just me. J had about 6 pax. Y had about 15. Felt extremely safe and was far more enjoyable than any UA pre or current COVID flight I’ve taken in the last few years.

Some airlines just know how to do it right. Most don’t, including UA.
Thanks for this post. Based on this recommendation, I changed my flight yesterday from BKK-NRT-SFO to all ANA (instead of NRT-SFO on United) and it was truly an amazing experience. My change was within 24 hours of the flight so I couldn't book in F, but I flew in J with two other people on both legs, and Y had ~20. I can't believe how attentive, kind, and helpful the flight attendants were. It truly is night and day when compared to United.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I am flying first class IAD-PHX on 2/13. Should I expect any food or should I buy something to eat at the airport? Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 6:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I am flying first class IAD-PHX on 2/13. Should I expect any food or should I buy something to eat at the airport? Thanks.
Sandwich / snack box -- standard >2:20 hour domestic F offering
Guate87 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 8:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Definitely buy something to eat, though IAD's food options left something to be desired before COVID and are actively worse now.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
Definitely buy something to eat, though IAD's food options left something to be desired before COVID and are actively worse now.
Thank you!
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
If you have a Priority Pass card and are traveling during its opening hours, the Air France Lounge offers a decent spread of food even during COVID times.
ChinaShrek and Guate87 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
If you have a Priority Pass card and are traveling during its opening hours, the Air France Lounge offers a decent spread of food even during COVID times.
The LH lounge (similar hours to AF) and TK lounge (open most of the day) also have decent food, albeit limited options. I think those are both accessible with UA F ticket?

LH has some sandwiches and pasta salad, which taste decent and are relatively filling.

TK in the morning is a bit sparse (hard boiled eggs, small pastry, yoghurt), but in the afternoon is better (turkey? sandwich, eggplant, chickpea salad). I put the eggplant in the turkey sandwich, added mustard, and found it quite good.

For reference, my memory is AF has baguette sandwiches, cheese/meat plates, parfait cups, instant noodles, and some other small snacks.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
https://twitter.com/BrianSumers/stat...770560/photo/1
Have these changes now been implemented?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.