Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
... I haven't noticed this complaint in the BR thread.
Which is the best place to continue this BR discussion. Let's return to UA in this forum / thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium Elite
UA to FRA and LH back to EWR

Flew UA before Christmas from EWR to FRA in Polaris. The food was abomination - braised beef with white rice and mixed vegetables from the frozen food section. Limited to no refills on beverages. Came back on LH in C and the catering was basically unchanged in terms of choices and quality. Attentive service and refill.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
I recently flew MIA-LAX in J on AA. Wow, was that a 180 in service from what UA is offering in premium transcon (I have flown UA EWR-LAX several times during pandemic). Excellent food and service throughout on AA.

Ignoring that half of my recent UA flights have had extreme delays due to operational/mechanical issues, the entire UA travel experience is at the bottom of line below AA, DL, and AS—I have flown all of them this year.

UA needs to get it together. They can pack planes but can’t serve real food? I would have more respect for UA if it came out and called itself a budget airline already.
Emphasis is mine. I respectfully disagree with your stance on DL. I flew my first UA flight ever last week in F, and it greatly surpassed any recent F experiences I’ve had on DL. This was just a 1hr flight, and the FAs did multiple drink runs. I was able to get a drink with ice! Now, I haven’t done any longer flights on UA yet, but I don’t think they’re at the bottom regarding their current service levels.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by eneq
Emphasis is mine. I respectfully disagree with your stance on DL. I flew my first UA flight ever last week in F, and it greatly surpassed any recent F experiences I’ve had on DL. This was just a 1hr flight, and the FAs did multiple drink runs. I was able to get a drink with ice! Now, I haven’t done any longer flights on UA yet, but I don’t think they’re at the bottom regarding their current service levels.
Agreed, I certainly wouldn't place United below DL at this point, at least up front.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
Agreed, I certainly wouldn't place United below DL at this point, at least up front.
I wouldn't even say it's limited to up front. Not familiar with how the two compare on longer routes, but UA seems to be the only legacy who is doing a full drink service in economy. I think AA is only upon request, and DL (and WN) only serves water.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by andy_dangg
I wouldn't even say it's limited to up front. Not familiar with how the two compare on longer routes, but UA seems to be the only legacy who is doing a full drink service in economy. I think AA is only upon request, and DL (and WN) only serves water.
I am viewing it from an overall perspective. DL has maintained its stance of safety by limiting service but blocks middle seats and limits capacity in F. Im contrast, UA packs full flights and still has limited service. I would buy my own Diet Coke at the airport if I knew I wouldn’t have to sit next to someone.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
I am viewing it from an overall perspective. DL has maintained its stance of safety by limiting service but blocks middle seats and limits capacity in F. Im contrast, UA packs full flights and still has limited service. I would buy my own Diet Coke at the airport if I knew I wouldn’t have to sit next to someone.
If social distancing is the priority when flying, Delta is the airline. For all other major US carriers, social distancing is/will be compromised in exchange for providing food and beverage choices.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by artvandalay
If social distancing is the priority when flying, Delta is the airline. For all other major US carriers, social distancing is/will be compromised in exchange for providing food and beverage choices.
Honestly if social distancing is a priority you’ve got to fly private. As much as Delta likes to market their flights as being socially distanced, you’re still well within 6 feet of other passengers.
SPN Lifer and seanp7 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Honestly if social distancing is a priority you’ve got to fly private. As much as Delta likes to market their flights as being socially distanced, you’re still well within 6 feet of other passengers.
So that's why there's that the foot smell...

David
rittenhousesq and cmd320 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
And definitely much less than 6 feet on domestic D1 flights on 763 which DL is now selling to 100% capacity

UA at least is making an effort to provide decent inflight service and if you get any plane with the new Polaris hard product, you definitely feel better distance from your fellow flyers than DL's 763s
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by tclem757
Flew UA before Christmas from EWR to FRA in Polaris. The food was abomination - braised beef with white rice and mixed vegetables from the frozen food section. Limited to no refills on beverages. Came back on LH in C and the catering was basically unchanged in terms of choices and quality. Attentive service and refill.
Meaning they didn't proactively offer refills, or they refused refills upon request?
Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
1/2 UA GSO-IAD CRJ-200: Water for all passengers. That wasn't something you could count on in 2019 so
1/2 UA IAD-EWR 737-900: Water for all F passengers, nothing for Y. If I wanted just water in F I'd fly Delta so
cmd320 and Repooc17 like this.

Last edited by CMK10; Jan 3, 2021 at 8:44 pm
Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by CMK10
1/2 UA IAD-EWR 737-900: Water for all F passengers, nothing for Y. If I wanted just water in F I'd fly Delta so
Was a request made for something else and denied? That would be worthy of an email.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I was pleasantly surprised with the food options in F from CVG to DEN (E175 aircraft). We were given the regular packaged snack plus the snack box + drinks etc. I was expecting just the snack box which is what I got from EWR to MCO on a 737-800
Old Jan 9, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My PQP/PQF totals reset to zero overnight and got this when I checked my account. I'm looking forward to the results of "Every day, we're dedicated to transforming and elevating your travel experience". They've already done the "transform" to in-flight services in the last 9 months - they need to concentrate on the "elevating" in-flight services now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.